WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Iva Bell Hot Springs

Has anyone visited this area out of Reds Meadow? I'm going to take this detour this year down Crater Creek through Fish Valley & out Minnow Creek back to the JMT. I'd like to know what expect, the highlights, what not to miss & if there's good camping near the Hot Springs & beyond etc. Thanks
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Heck yea, it is tied with Deep Creek hot springs as the best wilderness hot spring that I've ever been to.

There is a giant pool at the bottom that can fit about a dozen people and it is about 99 degrees. As you ascend the valley, to the east, the springs get smaller and hotter. Best camping is near the higher springs which are very hot (prob. about 104 degrees.) Also, the view from the top is amazing. The view is almost directly west so you get awesome sunsets.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Journal Entries
    Images

Sweet!!! Thanks Magic!! I'm so Jazzed on how my having to bail after 140 on last years hike has opened up my plan to explore so many different areas off of the JMT for this years hike! Gotta LOVE the High Sierras! I may not even return to Kentucky this year

Brother, I don't believe there is another section of trail in the whole entire world that even holds a candle to the JMT and I will debate that to the bitter end!

The last time I thru-ed the JMT ('12) I stopped at almost every side trail because there is something different. This is how I know who has and hasn't seen the JMT, when you ask people what the best sub-300 mile trail (or section of trail) in the world is, they say something besides the JMT.

Yes, there are many beautiful sections of trail in the world. Maine was beautiful, the Whites are beautiful, Washington state is beautiful, Nor-Cal is beautiful, Yellowstone is beautiful, Tetons are beautiful, the Winds are beautiful, Colorado is beautiful, Hawaii is beautiful, Patagonia is beautiful, Europe is beautiful, But none of them hold a candle to the variety and awesomeness of the JMT!

Let's get beauty and mountains out of the conversation and talk about awesomeness. Find anybody who can name more awesomeness than starting out (or finishing) in the Yosemite valley with everything that is just within a stones throw. Yosemite falls [largest in N.America], El Cap [largest granite face in the world], Glacier point, Half Dome, Tuolumne, Mono Lake tufa, Devils Post Pile, Red's Meadows Hot Baths, Ritter and the Minarets, Iva Bell Hot Springs, Mono Hot Springs, Mammoth Lakes, Evolution Valley, Muir Ranch Hot Springs, Palisades, Murro Blanco, Redwoods at Generals Grove, Road's End (which I personally coined: the Mini-Yosemite Valley), Rae Lakes (not just any lake, the Rae's are special!), Ancient Bristle Cone Pine Forest, Mt Whitney, Alabama Hills, and if you have any time left Death Valley is right there. And let's not talk about Death valley 'cause you'll start me on another tirade.

Enjoy your hike. If I weren't headed to Glacier NP for three weeks this summer I'd probably be back to the JMT for some more trail and bushwhacking.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Seems like most people, when talking about this detour, always say they're taking Minnow Creek Trail back to the JMT (like the OP). My JMT guidebook shows a trail that's about 2-3 miles east of Iva Bell that connects back to the JMT at Purple Lake. Is this a viable option? Has anyone hiked this route? I'd like to have my cake and eat it too by visiting both Iva Bell and Lake Virginia...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tcmbnd View Post
    Seems like most people, when talking about this detour, always say they're taking Minnow Creek Trail back to the JMT (like the OP). My JMT guidebook shows a trail that's about 2-3 miles east of Iva Bell that connects back to the JMT at Purple Lake. Is this a viable option? Has anyone hiked this route? I'd like to have my cake and eat it too by visiting both Iva Bell and Lake Virginia...
    I ended up doing this with the route out on Minnow Creek to Lake of the Lone Indian, caught the Sunset on Goodale Pass (I should have camped there, plenty of great spots) but instead night hiked into Graveyard Meadows & then into VVR the next day. Iva Bell was an INCREDIBLE detour & I personally would do it this way over the JMT any day. I just wanted to follow up if anyone is looking into this options, it's a real treat!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Anyway into & out of Iva Bell is all you can eat Cake & Ice Cream

++ New Posts ++