WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default In what order would you buy?

Now that I am approaching retirement age I would like to start Backpacking again. The technology of hiking equipment has changed over the years. If you were going to start from scratch what would you buy and in what order. Obviously I am starting of on small weekend hikes and would like to attempt a AT Thru-hike in 2017 when I retire. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd start with a good down sleeping bag. Best not be tempted to cheap out later when you have bought a bunch of other stuff. For us older folks, It's a lifetime investment.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Bag, -pack, shelter
    Everything is in Walking Distance

+1 on all that. Down is magical stuff. Get the high-grade (800) down if you can swing it.

Quote Originally Posted by erieite View Post
    Now that I am approaching retirement age I would like to start Backpacking again. The technology of hiking equipment has changed over the years. If you were going to start from scratch what would you buy and in what order. Obviously I am starting of on small weekend hikes and would like to attempt a AT Thru-hike in 2017 when I retire. Any advice would be appreciated.
    footwear
    pack
    shelter
    sleeping bag

Images

Bag
    pad
    shelter
    pack
    everything else
    IMHO a good bag is best investment and the pack should wait until major gear is purchased in order to gauge the needed size.

Images

A great pad...Did I mention a great pad? But first, I would get a great pad.

Images

i would buy pack last, but that's me.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Agree with Malto, pack should be last of your big 4.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

This is just what I was looking for. I'm not worried about the cost, at my age I need to be comfortable as possible and as Feral Bill said it's a lifetime investment. Please keep it coming!

I would buy bag first and then the pad. Then you can try those out when you buy your shelter. Lastly you can get your backpack. You can bring all the items you already purchased and put them in the bag prior to trying it on. To do it over again, I would go in that order.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Footwear is way important, but there's no point acquiring it more than a few weeks or months in advance of your need. It's entirely possible to hike the AT in generic shoes. Or barefoot. Don't need EMS or REI for shoes no mo.

Shelter is extremely important, but there's good news: tents are in general really good these days. You have to go out of your way to find a really bad one.

Good pack is crucial. Hopefully acquired early enough that you get some good practice hikes with the thing on your back, and are comfortable with it. Not just how it feels on your back, but how it's packed, unpacked and accessed throughout the day.

Your sleeping bag (in conjunction with your chosen shelter) is your last defense against hypothermia, in the worst case.

I'm a bit of a collector of down sleeping bags. I have five, at last count. The oldest was bought in 1971 and is still serviceable. The two newest (2007, 2008) are just gems.

Journal Entries
    Images

SHOP UR GOING OUTTA SEASON SALES great items on the cheap best of luck <train best u can get comfortable with ur pack>

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    footwear
    pack
    shelter
    sleeping bag
    I am glad someone else thinks this way. I have never been able to wrap my head around the concept that I'd choose a pack based on the gear I have selected. I would much rather tailor my gear to the pack. YMMV
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I am glad someone else thinks this way. I have never been able to wrap my head around the concept that I'd choose a pack based on the gear I have selected. I would much rather tailor my gear to the pack. YMMV
    It seems to me the pack is just a container. I'd match the container to the load, rather than the other way around.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd buy a big pack with a comfortable suspension, a great down bag, a full-length, comfortable pad, Jetboil stove system, stacking cookpot system, 2 person, freestanding tent, and backpacking clothing at REI. Then go hiking and feel pretty good about my kit, except for my sore, 50 yo shoulders and knees. So, then I'd start reading these forums, sectionhiker.com, and backpackinglight.com, and then start replacing stuff to lighten my load, starting with my pack, get a Lightheart Gear solo tent on sale, then go hiking with all that new stuff and realize what those UL dorks said was true, and that that I really didn't need 30% of what I packed, and that I really can go with a quilt instead of a bag, and that means that second pack I bought now has way too much volume. So then I'd buy another, lighter pack, but that's ok, cause the bigger pack is still good for my shoulder-season loads, and I can always sell all that other crap on eBay, and now I can start replacing nylon stuff with cuben fiber ...

Wait, no, that's what I did, I wouldn't do it that way.

(But I think most of us do ...)
    Last edited by LDog; 03-05-2014 at 00:14. Reason: Just polishing the turd
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

LOL, LDog, that was a good rant.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    I'd buy a big pack with a comfortable suspension, a great down bag, a full-length, comfortable pad, Jetboil stove system, stacking cookpot system, 2 person, freestanding tent, and backpacking clothing at REI. Then go hiking and feel pretty good about my kit, except for my sore, 50 yo shoulders and knees. So, then I'd start reading these forums, sectionhiker.com, and backpackinglight.com, and then start replacing stuff to lighten my load, starting with my pack, get a Lightheart Gear solo tent on sale, then go hiking with all that new stuff and realize what those UL dorks said was true, and that that I really didn't need 30% of what I packed, and that I really can go with a quilt instead of a bag, and that means that second pack I bought now has way too much volume. So then I'd buy another, lighter pack, but that's ok, cause the bigger pack is still good for my shoulder-season loads, and I can always sell all that other crap on eBay, and now I can start replacing nylon stuff with cuben fiber ...

Wait, no, that's what I did, I wouldn't do it that way.

(But I think most of us do ...)
    Stunningly accurate in many ways. But I think you have to make choices as well, which is hard to do in the beginning without going through the gear accumulation stage. Choices have to be made between hammock vs tent or tarp, bag vs quilt(s), type of stove, where and under what conditions most of your hiking is done - because all of these choices interact with the where and when factor which affects what size (and perhaps type) of pack you will need.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Stunningly accurate in many ways. But I think you have to make choices as well, which is hard to do in the beginning without going through the gear accumulation stage. Choices have to be made between hammock vs tent or tarp, bag vs quilt(s), type of stove, where and under what conditions most of your hiking is done - because all of these choices interact with the where and when factor which affects what size (and perhaps type) of pack you will need.
    Exactly right. Many of us start at places like REI (Life member) without even knowing that there is a whole world of options not carried by them, or any big outfitter. The point of my rant was to do the reading first. Find out about the cottage industries supporting us with lighter gear. Determine for yourself if a hammock is a better option than a tent on the AT, (it is), and what the options are. Read the packing lists of those whove thru hiked more than once, triple crowners, the long term section hikers. Read every crazy post here on pack lists, knives, guns, fishing gear ... Read "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips for Extremely Lightweight Camping." Then start picking stuff up. Ultimately, it doesn't matter in what order you buy.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    Exactly right. Many of us start at places like REI (Life member) without even knowing that there is a whole world of options not carried by them, or any big outfitter. The point of my rant was to do the reading first. Find out about the cottage industries supporting us with lighter gear. Determine for yourself if a hammock is a better option than a tent on the AT, (it is), and what the options are. Read the packing lists of those whove thru hiked more than once, triple crowners, the long term section hikers. Read every crazy post here on pack lists, knives, guns, fishing gear ... Read "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips for Extremely Lightweight Camping." Then start picking stuff up. Ultimately, it doesn't matter in what order you buy.

I was fortunate enough to come here first and read other people's mistakes (Thanks LDog!), I made a lot of good choices first time up. The only thing I regret in retrospect was buying a sleeping bag instead of a quilt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++