WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lowest taxes

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    We call them Half-backs. They move to Florida, can't deal with all the other northerners that moved to Florida, so they move half way back north. To North Carolina.

Yeah, we're getting ate up with the halfbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    If you like the outdoors Roanoke would be tough to beat, lived there five years and loved it, wish I'd been a hiker then. They have the New River south of town (fantastic floats and fishing), James River north of town, Appalachian Trail one side and Blue Ridge Parkway the other, two huge National forests nearby, Washington and Jefferson, with great hunting or whatever you do in the woods. Dont know about now but back then it was a fairly large city with a small town atmosphere...great people there. Was nice having the airport and shopping five minutes away also.
    Sounds like Asheville, NC without the hippies. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Ha! I spoke to my Mom yesterday. She and her husband are moving to Sarasota, FL. Less taxes, better weather, less $$$$ overall.

Too funny.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I would definitely expect a cheap cost of living and taxes in SW Virginia
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mainebob View Post
    Not Maine, we have one of the highest tax burdens in the country and work is hard to find. I love Maine, but when we retire we will have to move out of state.
    Ther are many, many staes with a worse tax burden than Maine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    I'd say the next time you hike the AT just stop and count the teeth of the locals. Which ever state has the least number of teeth on average is the place your lookin for. Probably WV, TN, or GA.

P.S. I hear oatmeal in bulk is cheap, you'll save double!
    LOL. best post on the thread!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    this, without a doubt.

x2................

In PA, taxes are highly dependent on which school district and municipality you live in. My taxes are very reasonable for the property I own, and lower than others quoted on this thread. PA also has a fairly low income tax. Home prices are reasonable. It all depends on where you live in the state. Some places in PA have high taxes, others just the opposite. Overall, I like it here. Tons of parks, trails, public land; best of all, in 6 hours I can be in Maine, ADKs, or southern/central Virginia. There is good to be found wherever you live.

I'm patting myself on the back, after looking at this thread several times I still have not gone on a rant about taxes and gotten myself into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm patting myself on the back, after looking at this thread several times I still have not gone on a rant about taxes and gotten myself into trouble.
    Good job, Thank you.

The thread has been remarkably well restrained. For just the couple of recent posters who have not, please keep the politics out of it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

A year and a half after hiking the trail my mind keeps going back to it. I started thinking about moving closer to it and posted this question.
    From the responses, I see that I have it good here in PA. The school tax is the bigger concern and my county tax is lower with a homestead and senior exclusions. I'll look to down size to the middle of PA and look for other less expensive communities. But then again GA has a longer growing season for my garden and has a lower living cost.
    I didn't want to start any trouble here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Good job, Thank you.

The thread has been remarkably well restrained. For just the couple of recent posters who have not, please keep the politics out of it.
    I could feel those beady eyes lurking from the deep, watching and wait for the chance to pounce...that's why I stayed away from the waters edge.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    A year and a half after hiking the trail my mind keeps going back to it. I started thinking about moving closer to it and posted this question.
    From the responses, I see that I have it good here in PA. The school tax is the bigger concern and my county tax is lower with a homestead and senior exclusions. I'll look to down size to the middle of PA and look for other less expensive communities. But then again GA has a longer growing season for my garden and has a lower living cost.
    For what it's worth, one of my best friends spent a good amount of time looking into what state would be best for his intention to homestead. He looked at a lot of things including taxes, growing season, cost of living, hunting and gun laws, and local zoning laws as well as the general attitude of the locals. In the end he decided on Georgia, he moved there four years ago and he hasn't regreted the decision for a moment.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    Ther are many, many staes with a worse tax burden than Maine.

fyi-
    Top Five States with Highest State Tax Burden

(as a percentage of income)

· Maine 13.5%
    · New York 12.9
    · Ohio 10.0
    · Minnesota 11.9
    · Hawaii 11.7

United States average is 10.6%

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    If you stay in PA, consider Fulton or Bedford Counties. The mountains and countryside are very beautiful, close to a lot of hiking (Tuscarora, Standing Stone, Mid State Trails), and the growing season isn't far behind the north GA mountains.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...7gI/story.html

Check out Central VA.. ROANOKE VA !! Yeehaw!! We got it ALL! ;0)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mainebob View Post

fyi-
    Top Five States with Highest State Tax Burden

(as a percentage of income)

· Maine 13.5%
    · New York 12.9
    · Ohio 10.0
    · Minnesota 11.9
    · Hawaii 11.7

United States average is 10.6%
    Unfortunately, the overall tax burden is a combo of property taxes, income tax, retirement benefits, etc

Here's one list for example (slide show free...I hate slide show for online content! )

http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?o=ht...tes-Taxes-2014

No surprise, six of the top ten are in the north (sorry..Maryland is not a southern state. ).

Surprisingly, NC is on the list... Maybe the retirement benefits are better/lower cost of living.

Goes to show that different metrics slice the stats differently. Do the research and see what works for you.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Hale location in NH has a tax rate of only 4.55/1,000 no income tax except dividends and no sales tax. It's about 30 minutes to MT Washington (Pinkham Notch) and ergo the AT, skiing and ice climbing in your back yard!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One form of information that is important is the poverty level of a state/county/community. A higher poverty level usually means a lot more social problems in that given area.
    And a lower tax rate might indicate a lower level of services in that given area, so of course, there are a lot of variables.
    Last edited by double d; 03-09-2014 at 19:53.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Journal Entries
    Images
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++