WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Lowest taxes

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    And a lower tax rate might indicate a lower level of services in that given area, so of course, there are a lot of variables.
    The neighboring county from where I live has property taxes about 3 times what I pay. The most obvious difference for me is they have lots of parks. Also, their sheriff's department has a helicopter; ours doesn't but gets to borrow theirs on occasion (usually to help search for a missing child).

One will get what one pays for.

Images

Outside of Erwin, Tn our last property tax was $440. We live in Unicoi county.

Journal Entries
    Images

My Prop taxes this year was almost $3000.00 (three thousand dollars). Eventually we will move as we recently retired.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I have got enough food for thought.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    The neighboring county from where I live has property taxes about 3 times what I pay. The most obvious difference for me is they have lots of parks. Also, their sheriff's department has a helicopter; ours doesn't but gets to borrow theirs on occasion (usually to help search for a missing child).

One will get what one pays for.
    @%$^ &*%$ %$#@$ (&(^% %#$# *&%%.............!!!!!

Images

In Virginia I've lived in a lot of different localities. No correlation between tax rate and services rendered. I never can figure out what some counties do with their money.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    In Virginia I've lived in a lot of different localities. No correlation between tax rate and services rendered. I never can figure out what some counties do with their money.
    Buy votes.

I would say Georgia and Tennessee. Tennessee Also has no income tax and highly rated state in individual rights. Property is cheaper there in the mountains than NC for sure. I've heard areas in Virginia are cheaper in Real Estate lately, but I don't know about taxes? I think they're higher. WV might be lowest but just barely a trail area state. It might depend on the amenities you're looking for? The more touristy and infrastructure, the higher the taxes of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

According to this article, looks like West Virginia wins the contest for AT states. Check out the 'Tax Map'...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101504033

Interesting thread.
    A few thoughts:
    1/ I agree the post about the lack of teeth was the funniest. I laughed pretty hard both times it was brought up

2/ If you rent, where I have my home in PA, there is no school tax. Only homeowners pay school tax. (don't know if all of PA is the same)

3rd/ And most important: I can't imagine moving my life to somewhere where I know no one, simply because it's the cheapest place to live.
    Do you think there is no difference between the culture in E Tennessee vs the culture in NY? or MO vs CA?
    There is a huge difference IMO.

If you want cheap, move to Nepal. Great hiking, rooms are less than a dollar a night and who cares what the taxes are (next to nothing)
    Or Cambodia: Air Asia has cheap flights to many places with excellent hiking.

I retired to Thailand and love it here. The corruption is tough to deal with and the politics are always in upheaval but the beaches are nice, mountains are nearby and the religion is tough to beat (Buddhist) for the locals welcoming outsiders. And like I said, there are cheap flights to many exotic places.
    (Borneo was a $100 flight last year (OW) with awesome hiking.)

I guess moving to E Tenn is quite adventurous too for a northerner from PA.
    Just ranting here as it's about bedtime.
    Last edited by fiddlehead; 03-24-2014 at 10:46.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

The timing of this thread is uncanny as my family was looking to slow down the pace of life and to take tax burdens into account with a move to a milder climate.

Images

In my town in Vermont we have very high taxes and get no Police and no Fire. If you need an EMT they are not likely to get here on time. The schools are very good although the kids graduate and leave town because there's not a lot of jobs unless you are good with a chainsaw and that's not for everyone. Property values did not really decline in the recession but they never really go up or down here. We do have a lot of music and art. If you go out all the people seem to have grey hair.

It's March 26 and spring is no where in site. We have our very own Long Trail. It's paradise.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    In my town in Vermont we have very high taxes and get no Police and no Fire. If you need an EMT they are not likely to get here on time. The schools are very good although the kids graduate and leave town because there's not a lot of jobs unless you are good with a chainsaw and that's not for everyone. Property values did not really decline in the recession but they never really go up or down here. We do have a lot of music and art. If you go out all the people seem to have grey hair.

It's March 26 and spring is no where in site. We have our very own Long Trail. It's paradise.
    what does your high tax dollars go to? no fire no police? that's usually big ticket items!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

try GA.
    thanks
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    Which of the fourteen states along the AT corridor has the lowest property tax? I live in PA and would like to move someplace to retire and hike my senior years.
    PA does not tax pensions or retirement money. No state income tax! I see nothing wrong with that.

Images

I would love to move to Damascus, VA, I am on disability but I love the small town and all the trails so close if anyone has any advice, suggestions or ideas please let me know. You can also reach me at [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    We call them Half-backs. They move to Florida, can't deal with all the other northerners that moved to Florida, so they move half way back north. To North Carolina.

Many of us also couldn't tolerate the hot climate. I'd get through a winter in interior Alaska better than I would a Florida or Texas summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankytyke View Post
    PA does not tax pensions or retirement money. No state income tax! I see nothing wrong with that.
    Many people consider Pennsylvania a very favorable retirement state, though cost of living anywhere near Philadelphia is high. What about South-central PA, near Gettysburg or Greencastle?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++