WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: GSMNP Loop Hike

Default GSMNP Loop Hike

Planning a loop (actually lollipop) hike next week: Starting at Cades Cove, ascending to the AT via Anthony Creek and Russell Field trails, going east on the AT from Russell Field Shelter to Spence Field Shelter, then descending back to Cades Cove via Bote Mountain and Anthony Creek trails. 11.6 miles total. I'd be interested in any warnings from y'all: Such as if the road to Cades Cove is closed, or if one of these routes to the AT is poorly maintained, or if one of my intersections is easy to miss. ... Many thanks.

Sue,
    I am the maintainer for part of that loop. The trails are in good shape with no remaining blowdowns as of last weekend.

A couple items to note:
    a) overnight backpack parking is near the stables. This will add an additional .25 mile hike through the picnic area both ways.
    b) on Wed and Sat mornings, the Cades Cove loop road is closed to vehicle traffic until 10am. It can be difficult to drive into the cove and find parking during this time.
    c) the park campstore doesnt upen until April 1.
    d) This will be spring break and thru hiker season. The AT will be VERY busy. Get your backcountry permit/reservation NOW if you havent already.

Have fun. I may see you up there, as I have a work trip planned for next week also.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

A couple part of the upper stretches of bote and Russell field trails have some erosion but still hikeable...

although it is still a touch early---I wouldn't leave a bag unattended at the shelters...

The bears have learned to associate a bag with food and potentially could take it if you wander off (such as I did when I went to the spring downhill from Russell)...

Speaking of springs---you'll pass the spring for Russell on the way up and for spence, it's down eagle creek a touch..

you won't have any problems with intersections as they have signs..

have fun....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here's a screen shot of Google Earth of the Cades Cove Camp Grounds. Between the camp grounds and Laurel Creek Rd is the day use picnic area. The camp grounds and picnic area are separated by a good sized creek. So you will have to try to find a way to rock-hop the creek or follow the red line I've drawn from the parking lot to the trail head.

Ox97GaMe,
    You say there is overnight parking near the stables. Do you mean there is somewhere else to park besides the parking lot I've pointed out in the screen shot?

CadesCove.jpg

Sincere thanks for the good advice. This will be a day hike, so I have no concerns about busy shelters. Ox, maybe I'll see you on the trail; you'll spot me better if you know that I'm not "Sue." My name is Jeff. "BabySue" is a childhood nickname thanks to my older sister.

Images

i've always parked at the lot near the ranger station and store......and then just walked the road over to the picnic area and to the back where the trailhead is......it's only a half mile walk....

but, i think ox is saying that one can park in the stables parking lot area, which is sorta across the road from the picnic entrance...

ive never parked there, so not sure if its allowed and all that....

Images

or, one could park at the entrance of the loop as well.........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For a day hike, you could park in the picnic area. But you have to make sure you're back to your car and out by sun down. They close/lock the gates, and the little brown book specifically states that over night parking is NOT allowed in the picnic area).

Actually, the Anthony Creek Trailhead is more than 3/4 mile from the ranger station/store parking. My image pointing to the trailhead isn't the trail head. It is actually the road that takes you to the horse picnic area. What's even more interesting, if you use the data from the little brown book, the Anthony Creek Trail starts just before the intersection with Crib Gap. But the horse area in the back of the picnic area is 1/10th of a mile past the intersection.

Images

russell field trail is nice with a level section along ledbetter ridge, a nice break on the way up.

++ New Posts ++