WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Fats and Omegas. Some tuna comes prepackaged in sunflower oil. Carry an olive oil to add to essentially everything out there, and aim to get healthy fats when you get to town. Your body will be screaming for carbohydrates and starches, aim to get those from everything BUT sugars where and when you can.

I returned from a thru having lost 25 lbs, and foolishly neglected to put the weight back on afterwards. My thyroid gland did not take kindly to the long-term weight loss and I developed an uncomfortable and permanent nodule on it. Now that I am eating fatty foods again my health is being restored.

Maybe a little TMI but certainly some realities of trail food and LDH body mass. The body's organs don't normally give outward warning before they tip over and fail.

I will second Grampie's post. Don't worry about eating healthy on the trail. If you find some food.. any kind of food.. that is eatable you eat it. You burn so many calories that the last thing you want to do is to be stingy with calories. Get all you can get. Now in town you might be a tad more picky (I often wondered why thru hikers really need to bang down a two liter bottle of soda in one single evening!).

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    Frozen veg. are great to dehydrate right out of the bag because they are par boiled before freezing but, fresh veg. need to be par boiled before dehydrating. Also, canned meats like chicken, tuna, chipped beef will dry well. Between the veggies, meat and pastas you can make awesome meals. There is an AT Cookbook which will give you great recipes.
    I can't speak for black beans, but at my house red kidney beans soak for 24 hours and simmer for 3 hours.
    Any meals that you can dream up for the trail can be tested before you hit the trail.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I can't speak for black beans, but at my house red kidney beans soak for 24 hours and simmer for 3 hours.
    Any meals that you can dream up for the trail can be tested before you hit the trail.

Wayne

You might consider getting a pressure for beans, way faster. But also with planning the crock pot works well. Lots of different beans out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post

Wayne

You might consider getting a pressure for beans, way faster. But also with planning the crock pot works well. Lots of different beans out there.

That's a pressure cooker.
    Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post

That's a pressure cooker.
    Sorry
    One does not mess with Mrs. Wayne's Red Beans.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Oh!! I will spread red beans on my kitchen floor and beat my forehead until it bleeds. Forgive me I did not know. And I threw out a can of refried beans for good measure. Forgive me Sence!! I have sinned!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I will second Grampie's post. Don't worry about eating healthy on the trail. If you find some food.. any kind of food.. that is eatable you eat it. You burn so many calories that the last thing you want to do is to be stingy with calories. Get all you can get. Now in town you might be a tad more picky (I often wondered why thru hikers really need to bang down a two liter bottle of soda in one single evening!).
    Getting enough calories and eating healthy don't have to be mutually exclusive. We can get all the calories we need as hikers WHILE ALSO EATING HEALTHY!.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++