WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

*Hope to start around March 23
    *Trail name Rewind (due to a rather unfortunate directional malfunction on our first shake down!) but wouldn't mind one bestowed during the actual hike. My partner is still waiting for his...Fast Forward didn't stick, although I liked it since he goes at warp speed most days. Although Taz might be good as there's a distinct resemblance to the Tasmanian Devil when he whirls through!
    *Wilmington, DE for the past 28 years but I'm a Tarheel born and a Tarheel bred....(who knows the rest?). "Taz" is originally from Indiana.
    *NOBO - I want the experience of a traditional hike in the "bubble"
    *Reason - Well that's a many-layered answer. Largely because I can't seem NOT to. In the midst of a foot surgery that didn't heal and a 26 year marriage that dissolved, somehow my mind latched onto the zen of this hike that would transform my life into butterflies and cupcakes. No not really, but once the idea planted in my head it simply took over and I seem to have no choice. I need to escape for awhile and transition into my new life and I think this is an excellent way to do it. I'm looking forward to being part of the Trail Community where people are nice to strangers and go out of their way to help each other and the only thing I have to think about each day is how to stay alive, and you know... to occasionally find pizza, beer and ice cream while not having to worry about the calories!

Hi All! My wife and I will be starting SOBO in June (the exact date TBD based on snow melt). I'm originally from Georgia and my wife is from Massachusetts. We met in San Diego, where I'm now stationed (I've been in the Marines for a little over 6 years now).

We're headed southbound mainly due to constraints about when we can leave (based on when my EAS is up and when she is done with her school year) - we know we're in the minority here, but we're kind of looking forward to all the extra toughness! We're doing the thru-hike to enjoy each other's company and grow closer together (we're newlyweds), improve our mental and physical fitness, and see all the beauty that the eastern US has to offer! It's also a perfect time for us to take a break from the hustle of every day life and do something incredible before I transition into the civilian world. We've done a few hiking/backpacking adventures together (a few mountains, Yosemite wilderness), but have yet to do anything longer than 4 days - we're planning on the Tonto trail at the Grand Canyon so we have some longer distance experience under our belts.

We also have decided to start a blog and will be updating it throughout our planning process and the hike itself. Please check it out and leave any comments you might have: http://dandjappalachiantrail.blogspot.com

Start date: Feb 15-20th (ish)
    Trail name (If you have one yet): Right now I'm leaning toward "Mr. Underhill"
    Hometown: Lawrence, KS
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO, because?
    Reason your thru hiking: This is a lifelong dream. I no longer have any restraints, so let's do this! I have had a **** year. My anxiety and stress have skyrocketed at times. Since finding out my husband and I can't have kids, I have had this itch, this craving. I have always put this off because of grad school or "having kids" or work. I'm running a 50 miler in December, then packing my bags and heading out to conquer something unique.
    Level of experience: 15 year runner, multiple marathons and ultras. Limited camping.

Hi start late march to april 1, if wArm... From jensen beach florida- northbound- trail name - blimey limey, wanted to thru hike since first hearing about it-planned a thru hike about twenty years ago after being downsized, but got a new job....just received a buyout from current company and thought , its time to thru hike the trail. I have zero experience but looking forward to the experience.

Hi - my start date is April 4th NOBO until around Harper's Ferry and then flip-flop from Mt.Kathadin to where I left off. Although I am training now, I expect I will be slow, I'm older and REALLY short, and will be hiking much of thr trail with my standard poodle (he may actually be neutral as far as speed goes, and he is training with me). I am concerned that if I went purely NOBO I would have to rush in New Hampshire and Maine and increase my risk of injury. I am not doing the approach trail as I am driving to Georgia with friends who will do the fisrt couple of miles with me -- definitely not eight. I am doing this now, in part because I always wanted to, and in part because I am semi-retired and finally can. I am excited and apprehensive at the same time. This will be an awesome experience. I am studying mndfulness as part of my CEU training for work, and what a wonderful place to be mindful and aware.

I know this felling a little to well right now

Well finished my marathon on Saturday. Time to start focusing more on hiking

Hello from Blue Collar,
    Starting March 15. See you there at Springer mountain.
    why? Not really sure but let's figure it out. We have 5 or 6 months to do so.

Images

Hi, My wife and I are thru hiking in 2015.
    Trail Names: Buck 'N' Fuzz
    NOBO
    April 1 start
    undecided on approach trail

We will both finally be retired and we have been planning, preparing and anticipating this hike for a long time!

Spent the weekend on the trail and figured I'd share with everyone what CT has waiting for you
    http://imgur.com/a/uA8IF

Start date: don't have a specific date yet, end of March or beginning of April.
    Trail Name :none
    Hometownetroit,MI
    Nobo:because I feel the hiker bubble is a very important part of the trail experience.
    i am hiking the trail because I love to backpack and travel.I am not get any younger,I love a challenge and the Appalachian trail has a great community that I want to be apart of.

Start date: April 1st
    Trail name: None
    Hometown: West Hartford, CT
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO, more social & I've section hiked a bit of the north before
    Reason your thru hiking: Wanted to do it since I was 15, have a "gap" in life to do it now
    Level of experience: Gone on a few two week-long hikes

I'm looking forward to meeting people and making new friendships.

My trail name is Face - it's what my brother has called me for 40-years. It's short and unambiguous. Besides, I decided to pick my own name rather than have some wise guy pick an awful name that somehow sticks.

I'm from San Jose, CA, but am living in Northern Illinois for the time being.

I'll be NOBO - for a lot of reasons. Mostly, It seems backward to START a hike by climbing a really tough mountain (Kadahdin). Let's work up to the tough climbs.

I've logged thousands of trail miles, including three John Muir Trail thru-hikes.

Why am I doing the AT? Well, I can still hike, for one good reason. Also, life is short and we need to do big and different and difficult and fun things and not just sit around watching TV and watching life go by.

Start date: Mid-March, not sure yet on an exact date.
    Trail name (If you have one yet): Binjali
    Hometown: Georgetown,TX (lots of places actually, but home is where family is )
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO; It's more social and skips most of the North Woods blackflies
    Reason your thru hiking: I'm taking a gap year from work to re-try my 2007 attempt.
    Level of experience: I've been camping/hiking since a family overnighter into the Grand Canyon when I was eight. Boy Scouts (Rim to Rim to Rim Grand Canyon trek and 3 Philmont treks), Glacier NP, Isle Royale NP, and Springer Mt to Harpers Ferry.

Welcome Binjali.....lots of scouts and former Philmont hikers thru-ing every year!!!

Hi Conductor, remember me? Irish - planning to hike again starting Mar. 20, same day as in 2006. Hope to see you out there. Cash (and his girlfriend) from '06 will be on the Trail, too. Best, Irish/Noel

Start date:4/4.
    Flip from mid VA NOBO to ME. Then flop SOBO to GA.
    Trail Name: Treehugger. I am under pressure to change this somewhat controversial name by some folks. So who knows what I will be called by the end.
    Why? It is time. That is all.
    Experience: Lots. Made a living in the woods for 20 years as a wetland/wildlife biologist. I also have been drawn to the woods as far back as I can remember. Been backpacking/camping my whole life. That's not to say I am an expert, just familiar.
    Nice to meet you all. Look forward to seeing some of you out there. Happy new year and safe trails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

There's nothing wrong with being a treehugger.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being a treehugger.
    Why thank you. I agree, but you should see the reactions I get. Weird. How can loving trees and nature and wanting to protect them be a bad thing? Oh well, let them think what they like. I will go on as a lover of trees no matter.

Images

New to the site, and new to the AT....
    Starting thru hike between march 15 and april 1st. NOBO
    trail name received is LostBoy due to the nature of my reason for taking the challenge... to find myself
    Greensboro north carolina is where i call home today
    I love the outdoors, looking for a challenge, spiritual journey
    My level of experience is beginner, but I've been into fitness for a long time so physically I'm fit.
    I hope to meet more people on this site and on the trail. God Bless

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++