WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Start Date: ? (Thinking last Sunday in March)
    Trail Name - Skinnbones (Skin)
    Crystal Beach, FL
    NOBO - Never gave SOBO a single thought.
    A dream of 30+ years.
    Level of experience - I can spell the word "Hike"

Images

Star date : 25Jan2015 according to the Captains log
    Trail Name : a Wolf named Black
    Approach : yes I will approach the trail
    Direction : NOBO up & down, sometimes east or west .. Never south
    Why ? : have you seen the Whites and Kataydin in January

Hi everyone,
    Start Date: Aiming for March 21st at this stage
    Trail Name: I've been considering the name Aussie Legs for some time but it might still change! I kind of like the idea of being given a name on the trail
    Home Town: York, Western Australia - yessss, I'm coming a long way to do this!
    NOBO - I like the idea of hiking with lots of different people and saving the hardest part for last!!
    Reason for Hiking: I've wanted to do the AT since I was about 13... yes, Bill Bryson started it all - how else would I know about something so far away!!
    Experience: I did a 1000km (around 600 mile) thru hike of our local "Long Trail" (The Bibbulman Track) when I was 9. Do a week of it every now and then. Have just returned from a couple of weeks hiking in New Zealand. There are 0 mountains around so it's a bit hard to get that kind of experience.

Can't wait to meet some of you next year!!

Ga.------>Me. ~2012~ pdcollins6092's Avatar

Start date: sometime n March
    Trail name: Skunkape
    Hometown: Leesburg Florida
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO, because SOBO is backwards..lol
    Reason for thru hiking: I thru hiked it in 2012 and miss it so I have to get back out there. The trail as il is never done with you once you hike it.
    Level of experience: I would say pretty high because of hiking it in 2012..

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,

Start day: 3/1/2015
    no trail name yet,
    home town is Panama City Beach,
    I'm going NOBO and either back SOBO or just continue along the international AT
    I also just finished college, and why not

Journal Entries

Start date: Probably around March 1st
    Trail name (If you have one yet): I don't have one yet, but I can't wait to see what it is!
    Hometown:I live in Batesville, IN
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): I'm going NOBO because that is what I'm most comfortable doing and I know more about going north than south.
    Reason your thru hiking: Ever since I was 7 when I first heard of it from my dad I wanted to thru-hike it. I'm 16 now and I will be 17 when I start. It just seems like the right time to do it because I have nothing going on and I don't have really any obligations except for a job at Steak 'n Shake.
    Level of experience: I've gone on a couple of weekend backpacking trips on the AT but nothing more then that. I know quite a bit of backpacking from doing research and reading lots of books.
    I'm also boy scout so I go camping a lot.

Default Class 2015 Hiker!

Start date: March 1st
    Trail name (If you have one yet): none yet
    Hometown: Maryland
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO - because of my experience (or lack of)
    Reason your thru hiking: I will be starting out with my daughter (she will be 12 at the time of the hike). It is just something that I really want to do. I am looking for a life experiance that is awesome and that when I come out the other side I will be changed... Maybe asking to much but I am willing to try!
    Level of experience: none really - will be preparing with hikes and overnight trips. (Oh I am Girl Scout Camp certified!)

Start date: Early/Mid April

Trail name (If you have one yet): None yet.

Hometown: Bay Area, CA
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): I'll be heading NOBO. I am looking forward to the community aspect of the trail, in addition to ending at Katahdin

Reason you're thru hiking: I feel most at at peace while hiking/backpacking. This will be a challenge (both physical and mental), and I am looking forward to pushing myself. I've wanted to do (dreamed about) a thru for a few years now, and I have the opportunity to take it for 2015!
    Level of experience: Been backpacking for a few (4 or so?) years now, and hiking/camping my whole life.

Anytime you can out of the house is time well spent, whether it is backpacking, hiking, car camping, or playing some tennis!

Start date: march 29, 2015

Trail name (If you have one yet): Blastoise

Hometown: Houston, TX

NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO, attempted in 2013 and loved it so I'm trying it again.

Reason your thru hiking: It's on my bucket List.

Level of experience: The first 700 miles of the A.T. from springer to troutville/daleville in 2013. I also have some hiking experience in Canada, Alaska, Colorado, Utah, Washington, and Texas.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

START DATE: +/- 04/01/2015
    TRAIL NAME: For this year with my service dog, Fleur, I choose to be me, Sawnie
    HOMETOWN: Sugar Grove, Virginia, but I grew up on the Mexican border at Edinburg.Texas.
    DIRECTION: Basically NOBO except for when I have kneeds to go SOBO to avoid further damaging my right knee
    REASON: I love it out there. The whole time, good or bad, it is hard to get a big smile off of my face.
    EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Moderate to large.

Now, Fleur and I have a lot of prep to do. She is very well behaved and, of course, always on leash. She will determine how far we go each day. Neither of us has ever been known to bite or to eat someone else's food or to pee on anyone's backpack. We hope that, once we get our trail legs, we will be able to hike 2 mph except for when we are a-climbing those PUDS.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Trail Name: to be determined
    Direction: NOBO

Hey All,
    I'll be hitting the trail sometime in March. I'm from central Maine and I've enjoyed trekking through the woods since before I knew it was hiking. I'm not a professional, just an enthusiast. I've wanted to thru hike the AT since hearing the idea(what a journey). I was at Katahdin's summit last fall celebrating a friends birthday when I saw a thru hiker kissing the sign. I felt accomplished as I took in the views and I could only imagine how he felt... so why leave it to the imagination
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

Start date: 12/31/2014
    Trail name: Scruffs & Woodstock
    Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri
    NOBO or SOBO: NOBO- Why? Because Baxter is closed on New Years Eve
    Reason your thru hiking: Personal goal, and spreading awareness for scoliosis.
    Level of experience: Experienced winter/snow hikers, already backpacked several sections of the AT

We're hiking as a personal goal and to spread awareness about scoliosis. My wife was treated for scoliosis when she was 6, and now had 2 rods fused to her spine. This thru-hike is going to be a test of her physical strength and courage. She is working with some scoliosis foundations showing people that scoliosis doesn't have to hinder your life and dreams.

We're looking forward to some cold winter hiking!
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    Start date: 12/31/2014
    Trail name: Scruffs & Woodstock
    Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri
    NOBO or SOBO: NOBO- Why? Because Baxter is closed on New Years Eve
    Reason your thru hiking: Personal goal, and spreading awareness for scoliosis.
    Level of experience: Experienced winter/snow hikers, already backpacked several sections of the AT

We're hiking as a personal goal and to spread awareness about scoliosis. My wife was treated for scoliosis when she was 6, and now had 2 rods fused to her spine. This thru-hike is going to be a test of her physical strength and courage. She is working with some scoliosis foundations showing people that scoliosis doesn't have to hinder your life and dreams.

We're looking forward to some cold winter hiking!
    I also had scoliosis and lumbar fusions! Good luck to you and your wife, and I am so happy to know somebody with my story shares my passion

Start date: Either mid-March or early June, depending on the direction I end up going.
    Trail name (If you have one yet): None yet
    Hometown: Athens, GA (not technically "home" town but it's the one I claim)
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): I want to go NOBO, mainly because I'm social and want the experience of the hiker clusters. You get that more with NOBO than with SOBO. I also don't really want to hike New England in the snow melt. However, school scheduling may force me into a June start date and in that case, I will bite the bullet and hike SOBO.
    Reason your thru hiking: I'm graduating from college (grad school) in hopefully December and want to go on one last big adventure before the "real world" takes me hostage. I also want the emotional and spiritual experience of doing a long-distance hike. I've got some big weight loss/fitness goals to reach in the next couple of years and I'm hoping the 5 months that I'm on the trail will be the last step I need to take to get there. I've wanted to hike the AT since I first stepped foot on the trail at a summer camp when I was 12, so it's been a dream a long time in the making.
    Level of experience: Oh man, NONE! I've done a ton of day hiking but never any serious overnight stuff. However, I have several trips planned for the coming year to gain some experience.

Start date: I'm hoping to be at the top of Springer on my birthday, March 6th
    Trail name: Not yet
    Hometown: Oneida, NY
    NOBO or SOBO: NOBO - Katahdin sounds like an epic finish! Plus trying to avoid as much cold as possible and it seems like Maine would be much colder in March than Georgia. Also it'd be nice to have some company to tag along with here and there.
    Reason your thru hiking: To accomplish something substantial! I hope to learn a lot about myself on this trek.
    Level of experience: I've been camping with my family my whole life, but I've never done much more than a day hike.

Start date: Some time between March 16-20
    Trail name (If you have one yet): None yet!
    Hometown: Originally from Atlanta, GA, but living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana at the moment. (way too flat for my liking)
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO - Want to experience the AT culture, and Katahdin would be a pretty awesome way to end an epic journey north.
    Reason your thru hiking: Graduated from LSU last May. Was lucky enough to land a job in Baton Rouge right out of school, but the stifling office life has already got me down (sitting behind a computer all day is not so fun). Hiking the AT has always been a dream of mine as a kid and I'm not getting any younger. So while I'm young I thought I might as well have a few adventures!
    Level of experience: Was a Boy Scout growing up so I have been backpacking a few times. These days its mostly just been car camping and kayak camping.

Start date: middle of March
    Trail name (If you have one yet): Still Megan for now!
    Hometown: Ann Arbor, MI
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO because there are more chances to meet people
    Reason your thru hiking: I want to get out of the academic world for a while and do something on my own.
    Level of experience: Weekend trips around Michigan. I love dune and beach backpacking!

I can't wait to meet everyone on the trail! Also, call out to the other Mitten people!

Images

Start date: 3/30/15
    Trail name (If you have one yet): I don't have one yet
    Hometown: Central Lake, Michigan
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO - Because it seemed like the best choice for NC spring wildflowers and ME fall color.
    Reason you're thru hiking: This is a hard question because there are multiple reasons. It's always been on my bucket list, but I never thought I could do it physically. I lost 55lbs last year and for the first time, I thought I just might be able to hike the entire AT. I went on a three day backpacking trip and decided that I was going to stop thinking about the AT and just go for it. Then I herniated 3 discs in my lower back and now it's because something to help me pull through that. I'm looking forward to the personal challenge. On top of all of that, I'm unhappy at work and feel like I'm in a rut. I feel like I need to break free, do something I want to do, and have some time to just breathe.
    Level of experience:
    Total newbie! I've done a lot of camping, hiking, kayak camping, but never backpacking. I can't figure out why.

Start date: March/April
    Trail name (If you have one yet): None yet
    Hometown: Houston, TX
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO, I'm looking for more of a social experience as well.
    Reason your thru hiking: I love nature and the outdoors, it's been something I've wanted to do for years now and I'm finally at a point in my life where I can take part in this adventure and live!
    Level of experience: Almost none, done a few day hikes as well as a few camping trips, but that's it.

On a side note- I'm going to be hiking for charity (Cancer Research/Awareness) and will be collecting donations from friends/family for each mile hiked. I'm looking at bringing together a group of fellow Thru-Hikers who are also interested in raising money for this cause. I'll be putting together a website for those participating to post pictures/blogs/updates so our loved ones at home, and those supporting us, can not only track our progress on the trail, but the fundraising campaign's progress as well!

If this is something that you might be interested in, please don't hesitate to email me ([email protected]) with any questions/comments/concerns you might have!

Hope to see you all next year!

Start date: sometime early march. I Haven't decided yet.

Trail name (If you have one yet): I'm not sure yet but I'm thinking "blisters" will probably suit

Hometown: Erie, Pennsylvania

NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO because it seems to be the way to go. and I would like to make some hiking buddies because I'm hiking solo

Reason your thru hiking: because I love the woods. And I want a break from society. I have always wanted to do the trail since I found out about it. Why not next year?

Level of experience: grew up hiking the Alleghenies but nothing serious as far as distance. Couple of weekend and week hikes.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++