WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default 2+2+2 OR 3+3+3 OR 3.5+3.5+3.5 it is only $$$$

Pack weight + sleeping bag weight + tent weight Is it not reasonable to say this formula is just as good for the cost? At 3.5 lbs each you will spend about $150 to $200 for each or lets say $450 to $600 total. Now for the 3lb each you will spend about $250 for each item and when you get down to the 2lb each item you will spend $300-$500 for each item of total of $900 to $1500 to get to a 6 lb 3 item weight. Of course there are are some sweet deals that can be had and they can surly save you. So you are sitting home figuring out all this stuff and you think would I spend an extra $900 dollars to save 4.5 lbs? Sitting home in front of the computer you say heck no! Now ask the question when it is to late and you are going up Sassafras Mtn. your mind thinks, OMG what was I thinking I could be 4.5 lbs lighter! By the way you carry these 3 items the whole way if thru hiking, up every mtn. across every river. My numbers may be a little bit off in terms of packs, but for sleeping bags they may be off the other way, a good sleeping bag is an easy 6 to 800 dollars!! new.

A good sleeping bag is half that cost.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

I like my numbers better 1+1+1. And I have nowhere near the total cost in the gear that you have quoted for the differential. My quilt was $135 (unlikely that could be duplicated today), shelter about $200 (MYOG cuben) and pack was $165 (MLD Burn). Total cost $500.

600 to 800 dollars for a new sleeping bag dang where have you been buying your stuff, a good 25-30 degree bag shouldn't cost more than $ 300 Synthetic is a little less and Down would be a little more, then a good 1 person tent would be around $250, A good quality pack around 200 bucks, so around $700 to $750 you should have a good quality setup that you can be proud of and do a complete thru-hike with, but you can spend alot more than this lets say you bought all cuben fiber gear that would be a little more.

Western Mountaineering has lots of bags between $600 and $800: http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ection=pricing

He's using some hyperbole, but I think we can all understand his point.

My personal goal is to have my sleeping bag, tent, and pack as close to 2 each as possible.

So far I want LHG Solong at 2 pounds (plus an ounce or so), Circuit at 2 pounds+ (exact number depends on what features I keep), a MYOG quilt that will hopefully weigh a pound, and a pad that will round everything up nicely to about 6 pounds.

My original idea and picks? Four pound bag, four pound tent, and a four pound pack! Lol

Thank God for the internet and thank the internet for you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    A good sleeping bag is half that cost.
    I got an REI Sub Kilo 20* bag for $100 and a Marmot Helium 15* bag for $194...both good bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Western Mountaineering has lots of bags between $600 and $800: http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ection=pricing
    At the risk of being redundant, you can get a good sleeping bag for half the price. WM isn't the only game in town.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

This what I normally use:

Sleeping bag (REI Sub Kilo) - 2.19 lb - $100
    Pad (Exped Synmat 7 UL) - 1 lb - $150
    Tent (TT Notch) - 1.63 lb - $260
    Pack (GG Crown 60) - 2.13 lb - $200

Total weight = 6.95 lb
    Total cost = $710

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    At the risk of being redundant, you can get a good sleeping bag for half the price. WM isn't the only game in town.
    Can I be redundant too?

He's exaggerating by going on the high end. We know what he meant.

Images

Like Sierra-I tried for 2 lbs. for each big three. I bought the best long term gear I could find that worked for me over the last 10 years. The total cost of my standard 3-season kit was $3,500. As you might think, I don't buy too much gear anymore, I have a complete U/L kit, 3-season, winter, and alpine climbing kit. It all cost about $10,000. Now I'm broke but it's alll good.

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Like Sierra-I tried for 2 lbs. for each big three. I bought the best long term gear I could find that worked for me over the last 10 years. The total cost of my standard 3-season kit was $3,500. As you might think, I don't buy too much gear anymore, I have a complete U/L kit, 3-season, winter, and alpine climbing kit. It all cost about $10,000. Now I'm broke but it's alll good.
    Numbers like "3,500" and "10,000" scare me.... I'm hoping to keep the big three down to $750 and have an allowance of 250 for the rest.

Thank God for the internet and thank the internet for you guys!
    You coulda, shoulda, woulda figured it out on your own.
    Least expensive way to shop: Buy quality once.
    Most expensive way to shop: Buy junk. Buy replacement junk. Buy new junk. Buy quality.

I just put together 3 items (real tent, very real 30 degree bag, highly regarded pack) for fun. All high quality. All reasonably priced for their weight and functionality. Weight: 4 lbs. 10 ounces. Price: $875. No Cubens were harmed in the production of these 3 items.

Have fun Y'all.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Okay, throw in the climbing gear and I can see where you might get up to 10 grand. I've bought a lot of gear over the years, I might be up to 5 grand by now. Maybe 7 or 8 if you add in all the boots I've worn out

If you accumulate the gear over time by replacing worn out or obsolete stuff it doesn't seem as bad as if you have to go out and buy it all new, all at once. Then your in for some serious sticker shock. Even so, if you shop around and make wise choices and trade offs, you can still get a pretty decent kit for under $1,000.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Numbers like "3,500" and "10,000" scare me.... I'm hoping to keep the big three down to $750 and have an allowance of 250 for the rest.
    Yeah. They should. That's absurd. I've got a reasonably light (6 1/2 lbs) and pretty decent 3 season (down to freezing) setup with the big three a little over $500 total.

WM Caribou $210 (B&M outfitter end of season auction - yeah, this was a steal)
    Neoair pad $90
    Golite Jam $80
    Etowah Meadows Sil Tarp (lightly used) $90
    Granite Gear Haven bug tent (used but NWT) $75
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-08-2014 at 14:05.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

The total cost of my standard 3-season kit was $3,500.
    At least 2k too much.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

What do you need to get with your $250? I'm pretty good at what's called "dirtbagging" and might be able to help.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

being able to hike 9-10 hrs at 3 mph is not a description of a fun day for me and I am heavy at 225 plus a 30 lb pack so it wouldn't happen anyway, so the gear I have is not all that light but it is fine for me. whatever you do on your hike is not for the gear weenies it is for you

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yeah. They should. That's absurd. I've got a reasonably light (6 1/2 lbs) and pretty decent 3 season (down to freezing) setup with the big three a little over $500 total.

WM Caribou $210 (B&M outfitter end of season auction - yeah, this was a steal)
    Neoair pad $90
    Golite Jam $80
    Etowah Meadows Sil Tarp (lightly used) $90
    Granite Gear Haven bug tent (used but NWT) $75
    I'm going to be a good American and buy new from two small companies. And it's not much more to buy new. And I like the idea of having bought direct from companies that have guarantees. (And I like new things.)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    What do you need to get with your $250? I'm pretty good at what's called "dirtbagging" and might be able to help.
    Clothes! I have absolutely no hiking clothes.... My closet it stuffed full of jeans, t's, and dresses. None of which are helpful. I need hiking poles, that sawyer mini, and various other small things.

Everyone's definition of "good", "a little bit more", and "expensive" are going to be different as those are all terms influenced by personal feelings, tastes and opinions. So, you have to take threads like these with a grain of salt. The moral of the story for me is that it's worth spending some money on quality gear to lighten up your load.

MYOG quilt - 12oz....~$200
    MYOG cuben tarp w/ stakes - 8 oz......~$250
    Zpacks Zero - 8oz ....~$160

Plenty of cuben was harmed in the making of this gear list.

Ryan

Journal Entries

Like q-tip, I bought equipment for both Hammock and Ground (Tent). With both these setups plus the remaining gear, I am just under $7600.00. About $500.00 of this is for gear and rope from Dutch so I can make my own whoopie slings, shackles etc. I am buying all new equipment as my present setup is about 20 years old and very heavy. I am buying it now while I am single and don't have to answer to anyone but me.
    Blackheart

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++