WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

The $1000/month figure Mags mentioned is exactly what I spent for a hike that was somewhat frugal in some areas (lodging and gear) but extravagant in others (town food). Statistically I think that figure has a high sigma. And, of course, then then big variable is how fast you hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I really think you people are overly optimistic as to how cheap you can hike. Last year I spent nearly $1500 to go from Springer to Marion, VA - about 500 miles. And I'm really conservative as to how I spend my money, use the grocery store discount cards, don't eat a lot of resturant meals and when I do, I get about the cheapest thing I can find on the menu and maybe I'll splurg on a cheap draft beer, but usually it's just sweet tea. It is frighting how fast you can hemerage money. I didn't even go to Gatlinburg, but I made up for it with 3 nights at Hot Springs, cause I needed a break from the rain.

I can't wait to find out how much it will cost me to hike from Marion to Waynesboro later this spring. I should be okay if I stay out of SNP and their $15 lunches at the way stations...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It would be nice if people would add their years to their hike. I spent $5 a day in '98 is more like $10 a day today (for trail food). And as Mags and Garlic point out. It's certainly going to be cheaper to hike the trail in 4 months, than it is in six.

Images

In my case, it was about my recovery time. I waked 1/2 the AT, but I have a chronic illness and by the timeI got to Winchester I could barely walk, It took 4 days to recover, but I did get to Harpers Ferry. My costs were way high or that reason. There are obviously lots of variables, but what might seem like luxuries sitting in your living room almost become necessities after several hundred miles. Just some thoughts....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

I can't wait to find out how much it will cost me to hike from Marion to Waynesboro later this spring. I should be okay if I stay out of SNP and their $15 lunches at the way stations...
    If you get off in Waynesboro you miss Shenandoah, of course. But the waysides are very reason to hike there -- it's just too totally awesome to hit a wayside for a hot burger and a cold milkshake on a summer day, or, my favorite day ever on the trail, get up really early and hike 8 miles, then hit Big Meadows Wayside for a huge breakfast and fresh hot coffee. Mmmmmm, dang that was good.

I'm pretty careful with my money, and I don't drink a lot, but given my experience with town stops and resupply, I think the $1000/month figure is pretty accurate. For me, anyway. I know I could do it for less, but I do want to enjoy the experience.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I spent ~$3500 on my thru (excluding gear costs). You can always fundraise through your blog using paypal!
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

The $25.00 a day works out pretty good. You have to figure your day to day food, mail drops, washing clothes and now and then having a good time in town. When i have a lay over having a few beers is good..

Let me know when you come through and we can share a beer...

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    $25.00/day
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyq View Post
    The $25.00 a day works out pretty good. You have to figure your day to day food, mail drops, washing clothes and now and then having a good time in town. When i have a lay over having a few beers is good..
    I'm telling ya this is correct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++