WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My regreit was leaving. I spent 6 months a year for 10 years in a row just hiking. I spent the other 6 months working to save up enough money to go hiking. Now I am working a career job in the military, looking forward to the day when I can return. I always took for granted being out there, now I look out the window counting the days when I can return.

Wolf

Not a thru-hike regret but a Mt. Washington summit regret. I put my shoes by the fire to dry and starting partying with friend sometime later that night my shoes got to hot and burst into flames and burnt my shoes beyond recognition. Ended up ascending to the summit and back down having to wear my Sorel winter boots which weighed over 4lbs. for the pair. I was miserable

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I was very happy with the way my thru played out but there is one thing that nags at me.

I was breaking down physically and my mental game was shot while I was in Maine. I just wanted it to end and go home. I regret not being able to enjoy Maine. My loss........
    I felt exactly the same way in Maine, Chin, at least most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Don's Brother View Post
    I felt exactly the same way in Maine, Chin, at least most of the time.
    I'll join in with you and others who felt the same. I felt like I was trudging through Maine rather than hiking it. It was September and I was anticipating glorious fall weather...it was wet and cold for the most part. My next thru hike, if there is to be one, will be SOBO because of this.

also, I wanted to see a moose. didn't happen but probably my fault. I was hiking by the clock up there...leaving camp about 8 am, setting up by 5 or 6 pm. did that to get more rest each day.

The most common "regret" I heard expressed over the years is from people who wished they'd gone slower; tossed out their schedule; took more shortened or abbreviated days in order to enjoy more places; and those that wished they'd taken more side trails, blue blazes, etc. in order to see views, waterfalls, campsites, etc. that aren't actually ON the A.T., which means that most thru-hikers never see them. In nearly two decades out here, I can't think of a single hiker ever telling me that he wished he'd hiked faster. I personally wished I'd kept better journals; kept better photo logs so in later years I knew more about my thousands of photos; I wish I'd taken more pictures of people (with identifying logs so later on I'd remember who was who); I wish I'd stayed better in touch with people I met who helped me along the way; I wish I'd sent more "thank you" cards at journey's end; I wish I'd taken more zero days in the middle of nowhere instead of in towns; and I wish I had swum more often. In short, I wish I'd spent less time hurrying in order to get to towns, and I wish I'd slown down more often when I was out on the Trail.

Jack, that was the best well thought out answer I could fathom. Your list practically mirrors my thoughts exactly....even down to the keeping a better journal and keeping track of folks. Those who slow down the "pace" and realize you have to make miles (and its not a race) but yet see the sights have I believe have a more fulfilling hike.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Whenever something like this happens to me I think about what might have happened if I hadn't done things exactly like I did.

If you had done things differently you would have altered the outcome and maybe in a very unpleasant way. Going slower would have had you at different places at different times - who knows what might have happened?

Doing it the way you did might have saved your life, you'll never know.

JT, nice summary. So very well said from someone in the know. THX for always sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    No regrets. Never wanted it to end, never wanted to go home.
    This was me. On both AT hikes and both CDT hikes, I really wanted to turn around and keep hiking. Lack of money meant I couldn't yoyo the AT either time and DH's knees kept us from yo-yoing the CDT, but we thought about it. At the end of the hikes, there was less celebrating than I expected and more sadness that it had to end. PCT was different, because of the weather, but I did want to go back and hike WA again in different conditions. We haven't managed that yet, but we did rehike southern CA and had great hikes. My hiking style is pretty laid back and works for me. Fast enough to finish before winter, but slow enough that I don't feel like I'm on an death march, and that I can take time off when I want to or go for a swim on a nice day.

and my mental game was shot while I was in Maine. I just wanted it to end and go home. I regret not being able to enjoy Maine. My loss........
    I followed quite a bit of your trailjournal last year especially the 2nd half. I thought your mental game was spot on the day you decided not to ascend Mt Katahdin and wait one extra day because of the weather when everyone else chose to go and ascended on a really bad. On that day you had the patience and fortitude to wait and not have that "I just want to get this over with attitude". I though on that day you played your cards really well. Congrats again on your successful thru and those 390,000 hits on your trailjounal page.

I really didn't have any regrets, if I'd had the money I would've done a yoyo or kept going north. Didn't want to stop. Not replacing my socks regularly? In retrospect would've made me a bit more comfortable. OH! I wish I hadn't shaved my beard at the Birdcage.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    I followed quite a bit of your trailjournal last year especially the 2nd half. I thought your mental game was spot on the day you decided not to ascend Mt Katahdin and wait one extra day because of the weather when everyone else chose to go and ascended on a really bad. On that day you had the patience and fortitude to wait and not have that "I just want to get this over with attitude". I though on that day you played your cards really well. Congrats again on your successful thru and those 390,000 hits on your trailjounal page.
    Thanks. Having my son with me for the last four days was a joy. The finish would not have been the same without him.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The most common "regret" I heard expressed over the years is from people who wished they'd gone slower; tossed out their schedule; took more shortened or abbreviated days in order to enjoy more places; and those that wished they'd taken more side trails, blue blazes, etc. in order to see views, waterfalls, campsites, etc. that aren't actually ON the A.T., which means that most thru-hikers never see them. In nearly two decades out here, I can't think of a single hiker ever telling me that he wished he'd hiked faster. I personally wished I'd kept better journals; kept better photo logs so in later years I knew more about my thousands of photos; I wish I'd taken more pictures of people (with identifying logs so later on I'd remember who was who); I wish I'd stayed better in touch with people I met who helped me along the way; I wish I'd sent more "thank you" cards at journey's end; I wish I'd taken more zero days in the middle of nowhere instead of in towns; and I wish I had swum more often. In short, I wish I'd spent less time hurrying in order to get to towns, and I wish I'd slown down more often when I was out on the Trail.
    This sounds like real good advice, I think I'll tack it up somewhere, or better yet, laminate it and take it with me.

I was very happy with the way my thru played out but there is one thing that nags at me.

I was breaking down physically and my mental game was shot while I was in Maine. I just wanted it to end and go home. I regret not being able to enjoy Maine. My loss........
    That happened to me, too. By the time I reached Vermont I was weary of the hike. And the Whites destroyed my knees so that I actually thought I wasn't going to be able to finish.

When I remember back to my hike about all I remember in New England is frustration, though when I re-read my blog I see that I actually had many wonderful days.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    That happened to me, too. By the time I reached Vermont I was weary of the hike. And the Whites destroyed my knees so that I actually thought I wasn't going to be able to finish.

When I remember back to my hike about all I remember in New England is frustration, though when I re-read my blog I see that I actually had many wonderful days.
    As a New Englander, it's sad to read that. But I've heard it before. I came to the AT from the White Mountains. I can't imagine how the Whites must look and feel to a thru-hiker. OTOH I remember how the Smokies felt to the nobo wave.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    As a New Englander, it's sad to read that. But I've heard it before. I came to the AT from the White Mountains. I can't imagine how the Whites must look and feel to a thru-hiker. OTOH I remember how the Smokies felt to the nobo wave.
    I came to the AT from the Rockies, and I hear you. When I reached the Whites, it felt like I was finally hiking again and my spirits soared.

I do remember climbing the last 3000'er in Maine and having a brief moment of relief, then I mentally kicked myself to remind myself that these beautiful mountains are not impediments.

I had no regrets at all on my AT hike--I don't think I had a single bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Whenever something like this happens to me I think about what might have happened if I hadn't done things exactly like I did.

If you had done things differently you would have altered the outcome and maybe in a very unpleasant way. Going slower would have had you at different places at different times - who knows what might have happened?

Doing it the way you did might have saved your life, you'll never know.
    Good point. I kept a fast pace on my hike, with the goal to "outpace" the seasons. It worked. I left in April, missed the worst of the winter, and I was in New England by June when the heat came and it was bearable up there. I would not have wanted to be in VA or PA then. Then I was home in Colorado by mid-July, and enjoyed a full hiking season in the Rockies. And there were a few personal things that happened at home that I was really glad to have been there for. I respect and understand Jack's point of view, but the longer you're out there....
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I absolutely would like to go back to Maine again, as towards the end we were running on empty and needed to get to Mt Katahdin before October 15th. Hiking through Maine there was a beauty due to distances from towns that occurred no where else on the trail. The birds were more active the skies clearer and the water was cleaner. I know I didn't really enjoy hiking up and down thru mud pits. I would go back and "camp" on some of the lakes and enjoy the solitude. DSCN2151.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oak88 View Post
    I absolutely would like to go back to Maine again, as towards the end we were running on empty and needed to get to Mt Katahdin before October 15th. Hiking through Maine there was a beauty due to distances from towns that occurred no where else on the trail. The birds were more active the skies clearer and the water was cleaner. I know I didn't really enjoy hiking up and down thru mud pits. I would go back and "camp" on some of the lakes and enjoy the solitude. DSCN2151.jpg
    Just beautiful Oak88... thanks for sharing! The water is so clear up there!

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Well... I have been hiking in New England my entire life. Long before my thru-hike I had hiked in the Whites, hiked the 100 mile wilderness, climbed Katahdin a couple of times, hiked much of the LT and AT in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont.

So I think there were a few things going on. First, I was physically weary and my knees were giving me ever-increasing grief.* Second, when I reached New England I felt like I was home, and finally, I think perhaps I didn't share the sense of anticipation that many feel when they look forward to New Hampshire and Maine.

*By the time I finished my hike I actually limped the whole way down off Katahdin, slower than the most out of shape day hiker. After I got home it was weeks before I could walk down to the bottom of the hill we live on and back.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Whatever regrets I might have had I tried to correct on my second hike. I didn't know to regret a bunch of stuff till I did it the wrong way last year. The only regret I'll take to the grave is that I didn't have a 3rd serving of peach cobbler at The Homeplace in 2010.
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++