WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hot Springs Area Hiking

My wife and I are going to stay in the Hot Springs area for a week in April with our 6mo old baby and dog. I got the trails illustrated map of the area but wanted others to chime in on good day hiking in the area, up to 12 miles or so. We could go as far south as the southern end of the Smoky's, maybe 1.5 hrs out from Hot Springs would be the max we would like to drive. Loop hikes would be best but we are not limited to them and would like to try to stay away from shuttles unless necessary.
    Any thoughts?
    Schnikel

Max Patch is an easy highlight, you can drive up to the trailhead and make a short walk of it. If you want to stretch it out you can park at Standing Bear and do an out and back to the patch from there, but a bit of a climb to be sure. The stretch of the AT to either side of town is pretty as well.

The Northern half of the smokies has more than enough stuff to keep you busy.

Asheville is a neat town to visit as well- also has tons of trails in and around town.

Or just sit in the hot tubs, relax, and hang out with the hikers that come through town.

A few years back my wife and I bounced along the AT when she was pregnant. We hit knoxville on the way down, then worked our way up to gaitlinburg and did some of the lower waterfall loop hikes in the smokies before farting up to hot springs. Good way to get a feel for the area and take it easy.

The outfitter in hot springs would be a good resource too I would imagine.

Just Bill is correct. When you get into Hot Springs, go talk to the folks at Bluff Mountain Outfitters. They will help you out. (I am not affiliated with them, but have received good advice from the staff.)

Here is an area trails map from Bluff Mountain's website: http://www.bluffmountain.com/files/i...ngs-trails.jpg.

The hike up to the Rich mountain fire tower and back makes a nice loop using the old AT and the current one.
    I agree with Just Bill's suggestions except the one to go from Standing Bear to Max Patch and back in one day, close to 30 miles.

++ New Posts ++