WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Love me some baby hill! Haha

Me on the right, circa 1969

webview.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    What a pretty woman you are!!
    I concur. Beautiful :mythumbhere:

(You too, even though yer a numbskull, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    Me on the right, circa 1969

webview.jpg
    Love the face. Haha

Did you end up eating that fish?
    I concur. Beautiful :mythumbhere:

(You too, even though yer a numbskull, lol)
    What a lovely compliment! I see you've been practicing talking to girls.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Attachment 26293Attachment 26294Attachment 26295

Here you go Sierra... It's me and my brother at the Bronx Zoo. My mom, me and brother in our yard in Nashua NH. We even had my birthday cake outside! The other one is me at the first shelter out of Daleville VA. heading NOBO!

Now, who's next?
    LOL- Like the Limmers Mom.
    Already knew you were a looker but the shelter name is perhaps more than some here can handle.

Sorry- Bad Just Bill- can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Love the face. Haha

Did you end up eating that fish?

What a lovely compliment! I see you've been practicing talking to girls.
    It's the cooties. Cooties concern me.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I had to go digging into the archives for these. I only have 2 photos from my childhood, and both happen to have been taken at the same place: Yawgoog Scout Reservation, our second home in the early days (when dirt was new and dinosaurs walked the earth).

This photo is not of me, but of my oldest brother and my sisters on "the rock". yawgoog003.jpg

This is of me at 2 yrs old wandering the woods jeanne at yawgoog001.jpg

This is of me at 5 yrs old watching my brother in the Sunday Parade Yawgoog parade.jpg This picture is a bittersweet memory, as I vividly recall not understanding why I couldn't participate in the ceremony after having just spent the entire week with the troop. I was a firm believer in the "anything you can do I can do better" approach to dealing with the older scouts (youngest kid of 7...go figure that attitude) and was absolutely indulged in my determination to be included in the fun!

(It didn't hurt that that guy whose shoulders I'm sitting on was Field Director for the Council)

But this is my favorite....my oldest's first camping trip...Burlingame State Forest, 1982img032.jpg
    This is me with Snacktime's mom.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 03-13-2014 at 17:54.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Here I am in 1956 right at the end of my Trans-Atlantic swim and happily arriving on the coast of Virginia in good spirits.

JUST KIDDING. Swimming in the Great Salt Plains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    LOL- Like the Limmers Mom.
    Already knew you were a looker but the shelter name is perhaps more than some here can handle.

Sorry- Bad Just Bill- can't help it.
    Yeah JB- the BOOTS! I never have hiked very far in them. I don't think I ever will!

Bad JB- LOL, I was waitin for it!

It's the cooties. Cooties concern me.
    Cooties- now that's a word I haven't heard in a long long time!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I had to go digging into the archives for these. I only have 2 photos from my childhood, and both happen to have been taken at the same place: Yawgoog Scout Reservation, our second home in the early days (when dirt was new and dinosaurs walked the earth).

This photo is not of me, but of my oldest brother and my sisters on "the rock". yawgoog003.jpg

This is of me at 2 yrs old wandering the woods jeanne at yawgoog001.jpg

This is of me at 5 yrs old watching my brother in the Sunday Parade Yawgoog parade.jpg This picture is a bittersweet memory, as I vividly recall not understanding why I couldn't participate in the ceremony after having just spent the entire week with the troop. I was a firm believer in the "anything you can do I can do better" approach to dealing with the older scouts (youngest kid of 7...go figure that attitude) and was absolutely indulged in my determination to be included in the fun!

(It didn't hurt that that guy whose shoulders I'm sitting on was Field Director for the Council)

But this is my favorite....my oldest's first camping trip...Burlingame State Forest, 1982img032.jpg
    This is me with Snacktime's mom.
    VERY NICE TEACH! I love them!

Journal Entries
    Images

There aren't many childhood pictures of me to begin with... I wandered New Jersey woods to get away from the constant fighting at home. My only real lucid childhood memory was sitting in a creek with the banks towering over me on both sides. Was just watching the water flow and playing with a sharks tooth. The peace was interrupted by a herd of deer which came crashed through the woods and majestically leaped across the creek gap about 5 yards down stream from where I was.

That was my first time ever seeing a deer and I eventually learned that it sucks when a deer "majestically" leaps across the highway and into cars. Oh how ugly life gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Affirmative View Post
    There aren't many childhood pictures of me to begin with... I wandered New Jersey woods to get away from the constant fighting at home. My only real lucid childhood memory was sitting in a creek with the banks towering over me on both sides. Was just watching the water flow and playing with a sharks tooth. The peace was interrupted by a herd of deer which came crashed through the woods and majestically leaped across the creek gap about 5 yards down stream from where I was.

That was my first time ever seeing a deer and I eventually learned that it sucks when a deer "majestically" leaps across the highway and into cars. Oh how ugly life gets.
    I hear ya... what you shared is thought provoking, Affirmative!

My family photo album is up in Maryland with the rest of my family, thus I don't have access -- I've been banished to Florida.

However, one of my first memories in nature was finding a Boxer turtle in my yard; I remember being timid of it, but was assured they are harmless.

That thing bit my finger so hard, I had blood rushing out.

I don't blame the turtle, he was just doing what comes natural. I blame and hold a grudge against nature

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Don't blame nature! Blame the dummy who told you it was harmless! Aren't adults supposed to protect kids from vicious turtle attacks?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Don't blame nature! Blame the dummy who told you it was harmless! Aren't adults supposed to protect kids from vicious turtle attacks?
    If we start talkin' about turtle births, we'll have to merge a few threads!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'll have to ask my parents (in New York State) if they have any early pictures that might qualify, but what I most vividly recall wasn't captured on camera.

As a 9- or 10-year old living in Burlington, Vermont, I clearly recall seeing these white blazes (I had no idea what they were called at the time) leading off up a hill through very dark trees as we quickly drove by in the car. Turns out it was a portion of the Long Trail (likely between Smugglers Notch and Killington). I was always curious about where they led, and saw them several times over the years (late 60's) we lived in Vermont.

Around that same time, I also recall visiting my grandmother in central New York State (Norwich) one summer. There was a big hill/small mountain a mile or so away across the fields and, having nothing better to do, I decided that I was going to climb that mountain. I made it about halfway to the base of the hill when a herd of animals came bounding across the field maybe 200 yards in front of me. For the life of me, I thought they were wolves and not the excited white-tail deer I eventually read about. Stopped me right in my tracks and I turned around to go back to grandma's house!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++