WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

listen to Mag's advice. I use the Montbell Tachyon Anorak for a hooded windshirt. This thing provided excellent U/L insulation for just a couple ounces of weight. The Patagonia R1 hoody is an excellent lightweight hooded fleece top also. You can still bring a U/L down or synthetic vest for camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    For wet and cold weather, the combo of a light windshirt and a 100wt fleece is very good. For breaks and in camp, thrown on a light puffy or down vest (depends on how cold you get).

Around the time of Trail Days, you can get rid of a layer. In Hanover or Glencliff, pick up the layer again. Optional as some people like to hold on to the layers for the entire thru-hike.

Images

I had a merino wool base layer, mid layer was a Marmot wind shirt , with a ArcTeryx shell for wet and cold days. I had a down jacket worn only in camp and slept in the jacket only on two really cold nights during my thru. As mentioned before all your heavy winter gear can be sent home by Mt Rodgers and sent back at Hanover. The wind shirt was very warm at 8 ounces. Originally I intended to wear a 200 weight fleece but that was much too much warmth and the wind seems to blow through fleece. I generate a lot of heat when I hike so most days I hiked in a tee or the long sleeved wool.

I've changed my insulation layers from synthetic to merino wool and haven't looked back…..

Quote Originally Posted by Oak88 View Post
    I had a merino wool base layer, mid layer was a Marmot wind shirt , with a ArcTeryx shell for wet and cold days. I had a down jacket worn only in camp and slept in the jacket only on two really cold nights during my thru. As mentioned before all your heavy winter gear can be sent home by Mt Rodgers and sent back at Hanover. The wind shirt was very warm at 8 ounces. Originally I intended to wear a 200 weight fleece but that was much too much warmth and the wind seems to blow through fleece. I generate a lot of heat when I hike so most days I hiked in a tee or the long sleeved wool.
    You guys have me intrigued with the wind shirts. I never even heard about them till I came to this site. The Patagonia Houdini gets rave reviews. Looks like a very versatile piece of equipment. On the other hand the Marmot Driclime is also lightly insulated. And they have a hooded version. Which would be better for a thru-hike?

I'm leaning towards the Houdini because it isn't insulated. I could pair that up with the cap 4 hoody. Maybe add in a lightweight vest for just in case extra warmth, a pillow, and a more comfortable camp jacket.

All together a lightweight versatile setup. Or am I over complicating things and should just get a sythetic puffy jacket. I like options, but I also like simplicity.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A windshirt is just a wind breaker with lighter material and costs more money. Ditto with the Marmot Windshirt or similar (a very light fleece like layer vs the polycotton found in the track jackets favored by runners, golfers and actors playing organized crime figures).

Lined Windbreaker

Lined Windshirt

All kidding aside, they are versatile pieces of clothing for not much weight penalty. They tend to be more breathable and lighter versus a traditional windbreaker. IF you are on a budget, you can buy a traditional windbreaker dirt cheap and rip the poly-cotton liner out.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    have you considered wool? it still insulates quite well when wet
    +1 on that. Pendleton flannel shirts are very classy and very comfy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++