WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ordering EE quilt, need advice...

I am going to go with an Enigma 750 and wanted to know if I should opt for the weather protection around the head and feet or go with the entire 20D surface or should I skip the 20D all together?

I went 15D inner and full 20D outer..worth the weight imo. Looking for comfort, protection and durability. Tim said this was it

I am concerned about the fabric allowing my to breath if I go with the heavier outer, you did not find that to be a problem?

"me to breathe", sorry

Haven't had thorough testing yet. But my thoughts on that are that being a quilt I can open it up a bit if I'm in a situation where it needs to breathe more.

Sort of air it out from the inside where thinner nylon is used..

I ordered my Enigma with weather protection on the foot only as it often brushes up against my tent wall and gets wet. My initial impression is that I am very impressed with the Enigma, but have not actually used it. I leave on April 1 for a long section (Springer - Damascus).

I have the Enigma 750 quilt with the weather protection on both ends. Sometimes I sleep in a tent and sometimes under a tarp so I got the protection and I think it added 1-2 oz to total weight. The stuff sack that it came in was too large so I put it in a STS UltraSil 8 liter sack and it fits good. I also got the wide and long size because I like to turn over while sleeping. It's the perfect size for me (six foot, 210) and I really like it. I was very happy with the quality of the construction and warmth of the quilt. I've used it with both a Zrest and self-inflating pad and it was fine with both.
    Section Hiker (STEW): Springer --> Killington, VT

I have an xwide/xlong 20 deg Enigma with the 850 treated down. I went with the 10D for the whole quilt to keep weight down relying on the treated down to deal with moisture. I have had it out on some nights with pretty heavy condensation here in FL and not had an issue. Really a great quilt either way you go and I have been very happy with it. Hard to beat 24 oz for a sub 20 bag that will fit me. I did replace the supplied stuff sack with a medium CF dry dry from zpacks.

--louis

++ New Posts ++