WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mailing home gear at Neels gap

I always read in journals of people mailing home gear at neels gap. I am starting to plan a through hike (early March departure) and would like to know what gear people have found unnecessary by the time you reached Mountain Crossings.

Cheers!

John

A crossbow.

A machette.

Seriously, all kind of little odds and ends one thinks would be good to have but aren't or totally inapproperate gear. It's amazing what some people start out carrying. You say early March start, which is long gone so we can assume this is next year? Read all the suggested gear lists and do some practice hikes before hand so you can learn what you really need. It's typically the inexperianced, first time hikers who send the most junk home at Neels. If your already an old pro at hiking, then this does not apply to you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you start early to Mid March do not send any thing home until Pearisburg VA cause cold weather has a way to creep up on you, you think it's spring but it really is just late winter, unless it's just stupid to carry like a Crossbow or Lawn Chair, But do keep you Cold weather gear until Pearisburg VA, but to skip sending stuff home start the trail in April then that way you can start with a Summer set up then you want have to send anything home. Good Luck and Happy Hiking. RED-DOG

All the "backup" and "spare: items. No you don't need 6 pairs of undies.
    Or 7 pairs of socks.
    Or a backup roll of TP.
    Or an extra flashlight.
    Or stove.
    Or pot.
    Or a big 1st aid kit.
    Or an extra knife.

Or more than one extra piece of any clothing item (shirts, pants, etc).

Journal Entries
    Images

Check out my 'observations from fs42' thread for some observations of this over the last several years.

A couple of things to consider:

ounces add up to pounds
    on a long distance hike - you hike - all day, every day ** 'camp' comfort items just add weight to your pack

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Many times hikers are carting things that are too heavy - heavy tents, parkas, the wrong sleeping bag. Or things that are not working out (for me, I had to buy new pants as my other ones were not working out). Hopefully hikers have budgeted for gear changes they find they must make

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by lamafat View Post
    would like to know what gear people have found unnecessary by the time you reached Mountain Crossings.

Cheers!

John
    Never sent any gear home from Mt Crossings.

Never bought any gear from Mt Crossings.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I actually bought a pair of Waldies from MC on my hike last gear...... only b/c my boots were filled with water from the huge storm the night before and I didnt have camp shoes.

Camp shoes are super nice to have after wearing boots all day.

Best I heard was a 16oz hammer for driving tent stakes and an electric coffee brewer (for when in towns). They really should inspect everyone's pack at Amicalola and stop these people before they hurt themselves!

i've seen an e-tool in the box, circa 70s style, duck cloth case and everything. makes one wonder what they thought they were going to bury

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    If you start early to Mid March do not send any thing home until Pearisburg VA cause cold weather has a way to creep up on you, you think it's spring but it really is just late winter, unless it's just stupid to carry like a Crossbow or Lawn Chair, But do keep you Cold weather gear until Pearisburg VA, but to skip sending stuff home start the trail in April then that way you can start with a Summer set up then you want have to send anything home. Good Luck and Happy Hiking. RED-DOG
    So True! I sent home my gloves, knit cap, and warm mid layer from Damascus in early May, after it topped 80 degrees for a couple days. Two days later I got stuck on White Top Mountain just out of town in cold rain driven by 70 mph winds, and 38 degrees and had to bail off the mountain. The next day I ran into wind driven snow and hail on Pine Mt. and froze my butt off. My hands and ears were numb the entire time. Wait until Pearisburg and after mid May to send homw winter gear!
    Last edited by Prime Time; 03-20-2014 at 18:01.

Mailed home from Suches: large stainless pot, jeans, belt, spare sunglasses, exposed film (!!!), A.T. Data book, Audubon book on Trees, some plastic bags. Left a some (food) goodies at Gooch Gap shelter, that might have been uncool of me. There was more unloading down the line...

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Mailing home gear at Neels gap

No matter WHAT the shakedown guy says, do NOT send home your bug head net, because there may not be Mosquitos, but there WILL be gnats!

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    No matter WHAT the shakedown guy says, do NOT send home your bug head net, because there may not be Mosquitos, but there WILL be gnats!
    Winner! Same is true about people telling you that sunscreen is not needed. At this time of year there is no leaf cover and if you are prone to sunburn like me, take the sunscreen until leaf out.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Winner! Same is true about people telling you that sunscreen is not needed. At this time of year there is no leaf cover and if you are prone to sunburn like me, take the sunscreen until leaf out.

Ugh.... I left my sunscreen, somehow, at Neels Gap...... that was a painful few days in April till Hiawasse.

Occasionally lucid

I would not rule out the lawn chair. Met one hiker who carried a foldable back rest thingy for sitting up in the shelters. Looked pretty comfortable. A crossbow? Not so much.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Journal Entries

I sent home stuff sacks and wind proof matches and water bottles like Klean kanteen -- too heavy use empty Gatorade bottles!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Crossings is over rated!!! They prey on the hikers that come to them for help.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
    Mountain Crossings is over rated!!! They prey on the hikers that come to them for help.
    They provide a service to hikers that chose not to do the proper homework and test their gear properly prior to leaving. No preying involved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++