WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seaplane tour over Maine's Hundred Mile Wilderness

We fly lots of AT hikers each year so we though others might like to see a few of the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiW33bjm3k

Curious, are there islands to camp on in any of the lakes? And do you fly in and pick up the following day. Do you have a website with prices?

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

This strictly an IMHO so take it how you will

I hope everyone figures out that taking a look on Google Earth of the area is going to give you far better views than that attempt at a video.

Katahdin Air supplies a legitimate service that hikers use, but it is disappointing that they or someone acting on their behalf would try to pass off such a poorly produced advertisement as any representation of views of the 100 mile wilderness.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the purpose of the video and the post was to make hikers whom are wanting to hike the 100 mile wilderness aware that they could use the seaplane service to get to the start of there hike in Monson and hike to there car.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I’ve flown with Katahdin Air many times, Jim’s an excellent pilot. I’ll be in the 100 mile wilderness again this September and plan to use KA. Here’s a link to KA… http://www.katahdinair.com/
    The cabin is on Henderson Pond, some of the best tasting trout in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaplanesrock View Post
    We fly lots of AT hikers each year so we though others might like to see a few of the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiW33bjm3k
    A couple of years ago, I had something that that caused me to cut my 100 Mile Wilderness hike short. I called Katahdin Air and had them pick me up at Whitehouse Landing. It was an interesting flight and only slightly more expensive than ground transportation.
    Shutterbug

In general there are some island camp sites on some of the ponds. There are eight ponds on the hundred mile wilderness that are accessible by seaplane. We provide daily service to any and all of them so your itinerary is as interesting as your imagination.

We have a hiking page on our website that lists all the prices and a brief description. www.KatahdinAir.com
    Also feel free to email us.

Sorry if our video offended you. We were simply trying to share some hundred mile wilderness photos in an entertaining way with a community that we have enjoyed working with for many years. We put it together in my living room with random photos mostly taken from the plane en route.

Did you like my guitar playing?

These were the folks who helped me hike the 100 mile area. Back when I wanted to complete this section I was working and had patients who were not very tolerant of their therapist going away for long periods of time. I flew from their base into Crawford Pond and hiked North one year and into the same pond and hiked South the next. This made it into roughly a 50 mile hike and was quite easy. My wife came along for the fly in and she was able to see some of the area that I traveled on foot. Great experience. Float planes also were part of my canoe trips every year but mostly out of Greenville and into the Allagash country or the St. John River.

Thanks for providing a service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaplanesrock View Post
    Sorry if our video offended you. We were simply trying to share some hundred mile wilderness photos in an entertaining way with a community that we have enjoyed working with for many years. We put it together in my living room with random photos mostly taken from the plane en route.

Did you like my guitar playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    These were the folks who helped me hike the 100 mile area. Back when I wanted to complete this section I was working and had patients who were not very tolerant of their therapist going away for long periods of time. I flew from their base into Crawford Pond and hiked North one year and into the same pond and hiked South the next. This made it into roughly a 50 mile hike and was quite easy. My wife came along for the fly in and she was able to see some of the area that I traveled on foot. Great experience. Float planes also were part of my canoe trips every year but mostly out of Greenville and into the Allagash country or the St. John River.
    Of course, you did it all for your patients.

Offhand it sounds like fun. Abol to Monson felt a lot less wild (to me) in 2010 than 1990. I blame it on an excess of access...

Retitle the thread "a blatant Ad for Katahdin Air" and I have no issues with it. I have nothing against the service you provide and have recommended it in the past on this board.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Seaplanesrock: that was great! Can I have another go!?? (How about another video?) Ps. -I like the Moose part.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries

Good Job seaplanesrock.... bet your looking forward to ice out..see you soon whitehouse landing gang!!!

Is whitehouse landing closed this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter87 View Post
    Is whitehouse landing closed this year?
    Yes, apparently. We've heard that from multiple sources.

I just talked to Bill and Linda from Whitehouse Landing. They confirmed that they will not be open this season. Oh well. Only twenty more miles to the next hamburger.

++ New Posts ++