WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cheese

Default cheese

I am doing the JMT this summer. I am wondering how long cheese will last in the bear canister.
    thanks
    Eric

Images

i don't know if they ever figured that out. too many variables. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sear...id=5503148&pp=
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I remember when I first joined WB this was a question ya just don't ask, haha.

Hard cheese last for awhile. If it gets moldy cut the mold off. Its cheese it is meant for stuff like hiking! It may get oily on hot days. Whatever!

Images

This has been a passionately debated subject on Whiteblaze in the past. You may have opened up a can of worms with this one.

My opinion.... cheese is one of my favorite foods on or off the trail. Yes, it can get moldy and sweaty. I still eat it. It is all good. How long can it last? Well, I have never been able to keep it long enough it in my pack for it to become truly bad. I pack it every time. YMMV

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Only until you eat it. Then it's crap.

cheese is milks leap to immortality

Quote Originally Posted by schultz104 View Post
    I am doing the JMT this summer. I am wondering how long cheese will last in the bear canister.
    thanks
    Eric

White cheese last long than orange; don't touch the cheese with your fingers because the oil from your fingers will help to accelerate the inevitable. My cheese usually doesn't last very long but definitely longer than my chocolate. I've had cheese last up to a week in the high desert of Oregon; temps reaching a 100* Im careful to not leave it in the sun and I try and keep it deep in the pack. I've also been known to freeze it before leaving the house. I won't go without cheese.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I can't speak for full summer, but during my spring hikes I always carry a block of sharp cheddar. When it warms up (some 80's days) the cheese gets soft and oily looking. I've never had a mold problem on the trail. The summer sausage that I favor sometimes does get a touch of mold. I just trim the mold off and eat it. Never been sick from it.

That's my cheesy story.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by schultz104 View Post
    thanks
    Eric
    Probably some amount less than it would on a hike where the canister wasn't required?
    Only thinking that aren't most of those containers a dark color? Which, in warmer temps would get hotter (like a black shirt vs a white one), plus a closed container would hold the heat (like your car does in the summer).

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

If you really want your cheese to last, dip the cheese in hot wax. Of course, just like the package it comes in, once that's opened the inevitable begins. This would then seem to indicate that buying more small packages is better than one big package unless that big package is a sphere or square. Most cheese is sold in thin little "bars" that don't leave a lot of room for trimming the mold off. As for oily and soft, so be it. Once it goes into my red beans and rice, burritos, grits or whatever else I'm cooking that's just fine by me. Remember too that hard cheese like Parmesan or Asiago will last even longer than a sharp cheddar. It has a bold flavor which also means you can use of less it and help it last longer.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    If you really want your cheese to last, dip the cheese in hot wax. ...
    I might try these next time. Single serving size - pre-packaged in wax.

http://www.thelaughingcow.com/produc...white-cheddar/

Isn't cheese already rotten?

Mini babybells. Comes in a couple different varieties of cheese. Each one individual wrapped in wax. Each one is a good serving of cheese. Not the greatest cheese in the world but still delicious. I always grab a bag on my way out the grocery store heading toward the trail. the package of 6 comes in a mesh "onion" style bag. Which also serves as a nice disposable pot scrubber. Never had them mold. Had a few soften up in the hot summer but were fine and not displeasing to eat. I usually eat 1-2 per day on the trail. Sometimes grab two different flavors and take 12 of them with me. Each one is around 50-75 calories with some protein.

Flavors: Original, light, mozzarella, cheddar, sharp, bonbell, white cheddar, and gouda.

My choice when it comes to backpacking with cheese.

I like the idea of the mini babybells! Sounds like I can use the wax for firestarter for a woodstove. Will have to see if that wax burns well.

Ken

Images

It burns nicely, and makes a fine fire starter.

As much as you "shouldn't".. I do use the wax wrappers as a fire starter every so often. Seems like I'm always eating cheese and drinking bourbon as I prepare a campfire.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    This has been a passionately debated subject on Whiteblaze in the past. You may have opened up a can of worms with this one.

My opinion.... cheese is one of my favorite foods on or off the trail. Yes, it can get moldy and sweaty. I still eat it. It is all good. How long can it last? Well, I have never been able to keep it long enough it in my pack for it to become truly bad. I pack it every time. YMMV
    How long does a can of worms last after its opened?c
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    How long does a can of worms last after its opened?c
    Depends on how well the fish are biting!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

So why "shouldn't" I use the wax for fire starter? Is it because it is food packaging? If that's the reason I would argue that I'm not using it in fire rings, but in my own personal wood stove.

Ken

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++