WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default toothpaste vs powder

in lots of ultralight weight circles people use tooth powder. does anyone have experience with this
    eric

I used to use baking powder to clear and cuts down bad breath.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Default toothpaste vs powder

IMHO, neither paste nor powder is needed, at least for the relatively few days spent on the trail. Both are messy. Not using either one does not contribute to degradation of the teeth, as long as you brush often. Water is all that is needed for brushing.
    I also use the small plastic "Soft-Pics" to clean between the teeth at the gum line. These are preferable over floss because you don't have to put your grubby fingers in your mouth.
    Last edited by Deacon; 03-30-2014 at 22:24.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon:1866501
    IMHO, neither paste nor powder is needed, at least for the relatively few days spent on the trail. Both are messy. Not using either one does not contribute to degradation of the teeth, as long as you brush often. Water is all that is needed for brushing.
    I also use the small plastic "Soft-Pics" to clean between the teeth at the gum line. These are preferable over floss because you don't have to put your grubby fingers in your mouth.
    My hygienists said this same thing. She in fact does not use tooth paste. I have used tooth powder but am rethinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    From a recent thread on the same topic

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1844588

I am experimenting with dehydrating toothpaste as I type. I think that I will use the "drops". But, if a powdered form was wanted, a person could powder it in a coffee grinder. Might do that with a few of the extra drops to see how that works.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Dr. Bronners tastes just fine (IMO) as toothpaste. If you're carrying it as a soap already, you're golden. A few small drops on the brush and they clean up just fine.

I use mint tooth powder and package it in straws. A 2-inch section of straw is enough for a weekend. Something about getting that morning breath taste out of my mouth as soon as I wake up...
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

My wife found these at lush.
    http://www.lushusa.com/Toothy-Tabs/t...,en_US,sc.html
    They are about the size of a small mint. You can count out exactly how many you need pre-hike and throw them in a small container. Pop one in and wet your brush; no mess or fuss and they don't taste half bad either.
    Schikel

Garlic
    Images

Baking soda works fine and resupply is easy. Just water is even easier and apparently it works too, according to my hygienist as well.

++ New Posts ++