WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Been looking for decades. Still looking. I have always regretted not buying a Moss tent when I had the chance. I recently discovered that the folks from Moss Tents are operating as Tent Repair Services in Camden, Maine. They can build new, real Moss tents.
    Moss or Hilleberg? A toss up.
    A friend has made me a standing offer to buy my North Face Bullfrog. I will always keep my Garuda Atman.
    Pondering.

Wayne
    Many years ago I had the pleasure to visit Moss in Camden. Thank you for helping me remember them and their great products.

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    If you were found of the BA Fly Creek, then take a look at the BA Fishhook. It appears to be the same tent but with side entry.
    Right now, the Clymb has the Fishhook UL1 for $300. If you are a member, sometimes you get notified of their flash sales and can get their stuff at 20 to 30% below their discounted prices. Right now is not a great time to be getting a good sale. Usually early February is when you can pick up your backpacking gear cheap.
    The fishhook looks almost identical to the Copper Spur UL-1. About the only difference I see is that the foot end of the Fishhook UL-1 doesn't taper like the Copper Spur. Hence, the Fishhook is slightly heavier. Just basing this on the spec sheet on REI's website. Never seen the Fishhook in person. Recently purchased the Copper Spur w/ my REI dividend. Still haven't field-tested it yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    The fishhook looks almost identical to the Copper Spur UL-1. About the only difference I see is that the foot end of the Fishhook UL-1 doesn't taper like the Copper Spur. Hence, the Fishhook is slightly heavier. Just basing this on the spec sheet on REI's website. Never seen the Fishhook in person. Recently purchased the Copper Spur w/ my REI dividend. Still haven't field-tested it yet.
    The Fishhook UL1 has a floor width of 42 inches for the front (i.e. head/shoulders) and about 32 inches for the feet end. I'm not 100% if it is 32 inches or 30 inches at the feet end.

It really just depends on what I'm doing, weather, and terrain. Most of the time I use a cuban tarp and borah bivy. Other times a dream hammock Darien UL with a cuban fly. For really bad weather I love my TT Notch with solid inner partial.

A tent is one of the most expensive gear items one can buy and of course lots of options and opinions (I think TipiWalters answer is a very good one, see above), but overall it has to be well made and stand the test of time to endure multiple weather conditions. For me, that tent is the MSR Hubba Hubba, it has met all of my needs. I usually like to sleep alone, so I use the two man tent version of the Hubba, thus I can put my gear in the tent at night and still have room. I think the OP has lots of good advice in buying/testing out various tents, but at some point, you gotta go with what you like, as one wants to have a tent that can achieve many functions at once while also giving one a good nights sleep.
    Last edited by double d; 04-06-2014 at 06:00.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Journal Entries
    Images

I have the coffin shaped Canadian Eureka Solitaire. It works well after spray waterproofing. The fabric is thick; so its heavy.
    something from Sierra Designs or Tarp Tent
    David Smolinski

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++