WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Expedition packs: what have you used and what would you recommend?

Hi folks! So this is not for prospective thru hikers. ULers, turn away. :P.

I anticipate starting work soon where I will be carrying a 50-60 lbs pack that needs ~90L (~5500 cubic inches) of room. What packs have you used that you would recommend?

My initial thoughts are the Gregory Denali or Osprey Xenith. But I know little about packs in this carrying capacity range.

My main requirement is very good weight transfer. I prefer hip belt pockets and a shovel pocket of some sort, but these are not requirements.

I'm 5' 7" and 160 lbs in prime hiking shape.
    Last edited by Meriadoc; 04-01-2014 at 22:37.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Images

I'd consider an external pack in your decision process. They can carry the weight and lots of items can be tied on.

I have a Dana (now Mystery Ranch) Terraplane that I use for large loads, as for leading groups, winter trips, and being the mule when my kids were little. It is very comfortable. Depending on terrain and the work at hand, I'd also consider an external frame. My son has been using my old Mountain Master with great satisfaction. More so than in most things, YMMV. Of course, no pack does the work for you.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I've got an Arc'teryx Bora 95 that is now strictly winter and my sherpa pack. Carries loads really well but is a heavy pack to start with. They don't appear to be making these any more. The newer models are different, they seem to bulge out a bit more in the back. I can't offer a recommendation on current build quality or design but my Bora 95 is very well made.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Marine Corps ILBE Pack

Images

We go on very long unsupported hikes and climbs a lot, meaning even going ultralight, this means heavy. The two biggest expeditions I've been on were climbing Denali twice, once in 2006, with a repeat (with my wife, who wanted to climb it) in 2011.

Anyway, both times required carrying on the order of 60 pounds on our backs (and pulling another 40 on a sled; climbing Denali, even ultralight requires about 95-100 lbs to start). the first trip, I carried an 8 pound Dana Design Terraplane. The second trip I used a 5 pound 85L Osprey Aether. What can I say? The 3-lb lighter Aether was as comfortable as the Terraplane. I have used the Aether now for many other shorter trips that still required carrying a big load (multi-day technical climbs) and really like the pack.

One bonus of this particular pack is that REI sells it:

http://www.rei.com/product/846413/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8464130011&osprey-aether-85-pack,-arroyo-red,-large&preferredSku=8464130011&mr:trackingCode=1214 CE1E-2A6B-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adTyp e=pla&mr:ad=46925366920&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:f ilter=61470965440&{copy:s_kwcid}&msid=DcYxHBQp_dc| pcrid|46925366920|#descriptionTab

meaning you can give it a really good try and if you don't like it, return it hassle free. Walking around the store for 15 minutes, even fully loaded, won't tell you if it will work. Try a couple hours on a trail first, fully loaded, and demo it.

BTW, though the REI spec sheet shows 5 pounds for the large, mine weighed a few ounces more than that originally, but after trimming a couple things off, like extra strappage length, it comes in right at 5 pounds now.

Images

BTW: looking at the REI site, I sure don't see much difference between the Osprey Xenith and the Aether... maybe the Xenith is just a newer model of the aether?

Images

I used an Arc Teryx Bora 90 in India trekking in the Himalayas. It is one big pack, but for comfort and durability, worked well. It is for sure heavy, but if you need an expedition pack, and any mountaineering gear, I have had great success with Arc Teryx......

I purchased one of the last of the pre-buyout (demise) built in Bozeman, MT ArcFlex Terraplanes in 1994. It is a medium torso/medium belt size. The belt is adjustable 2"-4" vertically. It weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces. Considerably lighter than the weights I see quoted for similar Terraplanes. I think it would fit you perfectly.
    I recently looked long and hard at the 70 liter Osprey Aether. All things considered (price vs. carrying capacity vs. weight), I couldn't see any compelling reasons to spend the money for a replacement of the Terraplane. There are several things about the Terraplane that you don't see in packs anymore. The two long back pockets are extremely versatile. They swallow gear like a bottomless pit. The floating/removable top lid is equally versatile. It holds a soft 1 liter Platypus bottle and the tube exits the lid and goes straight into my mouth. Perfect. Nobody ever mentions the fact that the Terraplane squashes down to daypack size when needed. The sleeping bag compartment collapses into the main body of the pack. The hip belt and lid come off. The compression straps tighten up the main bag and Presto! Daypack.
    The Terraplane does lack water bottle and hip belt pockets as we know them today. No worries. The lid holds my version of a water bladder/drinking tube. I have several after market pockets that I can attach to the hip belt. There are places on the shoulder straps to attach do-dad pockets.
    In summary: The ArcFlex Terraplane (or its' big brother the Astralplane for ginormous loads) carries a load so well that I think you would be hard pressed to find an equal today. Just make sure that the pack was built in Bozeman before K2 bought Dana Design & Garuda Tents and promptly ruined both product lines. I do see Terrplanes on ebay from time to time.
    I suppose the current production Mystery Ranch Terraplane might perform the same tasks.
    Good luck!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

ps: There is also Dan McHale and his custom made to fit packs. Bring your check book. Maybe a 2nd mortgage.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Try North Face on there web-site they have a pack called the proffet it looks like it would handle the weight you are asking about, I do have a montain hardwear shaka 70 and i have had up to 65 lbs in it and the pack handled great, it would diffinatly handle 90+lbs, so yeah look at North Face or Montain Hardwear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I recently looked long and hard at the 70 liter Osprey Aether. All things considered (price vs. carrying capacity vs. weight), I couldn't see any compelling reasons to spend the money for a replacement of the Terraplane. There are several things about the Terraplane that you don't see in packs anymore.
    Yes, the Terraplane is an awesome pack, those back pockets hold Huge amounts of gear. But I have to ask: did you actually wear both the Terraplane and the Osprey fully loaded for any length of time? My compelling reason is simply the near 3-lb weight savings (my terraplane weighs 7-14), for the same amount of comfort. The belt on the Osprey is equally adjustable. The lid is versatile. Nice (but light) straps on the rear to hold a tent/sleeping pad/whatever. To me, it was a no-brainier to finally retire the Terraplane; was kind of sad, really because I had lots of good history with it.

Images

I keep meaning to mention: The Osprey Aether (the 85L version, at least) has a custom heat-molded hip belt (REI cooks them for you as part of the purchase, maybe not all stores though, but you can also do it yourself at home). Maybe a tad gimmicky, but it sure works for me, and with my hipless build, it is the best fitting hipbelt I've ever had.

Rob,
    My decision not to buy a new pack was based on two primary criteria: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Budget-I need to replace my summer bag & sleeping pad. Replacing those two items will knock more weight out of my pack than a new backpack. I two backpacks: a frameless 3 pound Jensen and the 6 pound 12 ounce Terraplane. I know they fit. I know they work. I prefer not to take a chance on something new at this time.
    A local Texas dealer, Whole Earth Provision Co., told me a year ago that all of the Osprey Aether models were individually heat molded.

The top lid of the Terraplane/Astralplane attaches to the hip belt to make a lumbar pack.

Wayne

At present there are several Bozeman made Terraplanes in various sizes on Ebay.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    Marine Corps ILBE Pack
    No kidding. Made by Arcteryx. Carry a house with one of those.

I still have my 20 year old LL Bean "North Col" pack that think was around 6,000 cu inches. It fits me well and still gets pretty full when I am the family mule. I've never really taken it on long distance hikes, but it was fine for a week or two. I imagine you might find one on eBay.

This would be the Real Deal. Same color as mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-...item27e152eb95

Wayne

Thanks for the input folks.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I keep meaning to mention: The Osprey Aether (the 85L version, at least) has a custom heat-molded hip belt (REI cooks them for you as part of the purchase, maybe not all stores though, but you can also do it yourself at home). Maybe a tad gimmicky, but it sure works for me, and with my hipless build, it is the best fitting hipbelt I've ever had.
    Rob, are you able to shift the hip belt around a little? I ask because when I'm backpacking I'll change how the pack carries from time to time. Sometimes I wear it high on my hips, sometimes I wear it low on my hips. My understanding is that once the hip belt has been molded that it is hard.

Your other reasons for the Osprey over the Terraplane are compelling. Since I will be buying a [new to me] expedition pack, not replacing a pack, I might go for the new pack and weight savings over a used Terraplane. With the new job come prodeals although I'm not certain what I will have.

Dan McHale's packs are way out of my price range.

Mystery Ranch's military line is intriguing, particularly the NICE frame. Gosh they are heavy though.

Sadly, Mountain Hardwear, NorthFace, and Arcteryx don't make 90L packs anymore.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

No clue if it actually exists, but The North Face still lists the Matthes Crest 85L pack on their web page. OK, not 90L, but close enough. Places like Campmor or Sierra Trading Post might have closeout/discontinued models.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...t-85-pack.html

Gregory still builds large backpacks. From 80L to 105L.

http://gregorypacks.com/en/shop-men-backpacking

http://gregorypacks.com/en/shop-men-alpine

Mountain Hardware. 70L to 105L.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/outd...v1=Backpacking

Lots of big backpacks at REI, including Arc'teryx.

http://www.rei.com/c/backpacking-pac...to+100&rx=true

Happy Hunting.

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++