WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Grilling for Vegans or Vegetarians

I'm planning on bringing my grill to some road crossings in May to treat some of the Class of '14. I know how to take good care of carnivores. I have no idea what things the Vs would want other than my side dishes for the carnivores.

Any simple ideas for the grill.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Veggie burgers are easy. Morningstar taste good. Dr. Praegers and Amy's california burgers are good too - and I consider them healthier. More expensive though.

Skewers of grilled veggies - peppers, onions, and mushrooms - would be my favorite. Probably the most expensive and most labor intensive.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Oh, and morningstar has dairy, so they are not good for vegans.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

I never liked the fake food. When I entertain vegetarians I use portabello mushrooms as if they were beef patties. (first I soak them in italian salad dressing or at least oil and vinegar. Then I grill the mushroom and build their burger with it in place of the patty.

It has always gone over very well. Be advised, if you are going to cook for a mixed group, the vegans won't want their food even grilled on a spot that has had meat cooked on it. so try to keep it very separate for their tastes.

Good for you for trying to be a good host to all. When our vegan friends used to come over, we would just eat the same thing we fed them. It was easier that way, and tasty food so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Oh, and morningstar has dairy, so they are not good for vegans.
    Thanks for the posts. I guess I should only be concerned with the Vegans for this question since they are the most restrictive. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by myakka_ View Post
    Be advised, if you are going to cook for a mixed group, the vegans won't want their food even grilled on a spot that has had meat cooked on it. so try to keep it very separate for their tastes.
    That would have never crossed my mind. I generally try to have a vegetable side and a meat side anyway, but that was just for portion control.

I suppose that there could not even be meat on the other side when cooking for Vegans since the smoke will cross over. Right? Or not an issue?

I don't know about smoke being an issue. Depends on the vegan I guess. But if you are going to do it, bring 2 sets of tongs, spatulas etc. They wouldn't like seeing you flip a dead animal and then their food LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    That would have never crossed my mind. I generally try to have a vegetable side and a meat side anyway, but that was just for portion control.

I suppose that there could not even be meat on the other side when cooking for Vegans since the smoke will cross over. Right? Or not an issue?
    It really depends on how strict people are. I have family and friends that are vegetarian (not vegan) and they generally eat at the same restaurants everyone else eats at where it is obvious that the meat and veggies are not strictly segregated. Out of sight, out of mind perhaps? However, I have noticed at some BBQs that vegetarians are uptight about their food being on the same grill. But if they eat at restaurants, this type of thing is going to be the way things are although the kitchen may not be seen by the diners. If having two separate grills is excessive then I'd recommend just having the meat on one side of the grill. People who are uncomfortable with that can choose to not partake.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

It's not an issue for me, so long as the vegan stuff is cooked on a separate part of the grill. If you do vegetable skewers then you don't have to worry about cross-contamination with tongs and so forth. On the veg skewers you can add tempeh for protein, just cut it into cubes (or marinate it first if you are feeling fancy).

You are a true angel for even thinking of the herbivores!

I guess I should only be concerned with the Vegans for this question since they are the most restrictive. Is that correct?
    It's true that vegan food is vegetarian by default, so vegan would be all inclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Sz View Post
    It's true that vegan food is vegetarian by default, so vegan would be all inclusive.
    What other stuff might not cross this omnivore's mind? I suppose certain hamburger buns are a no-go too. And I guess they can't have butter on the bun either.

Vegans I know don't like lard either.

Avocados are popular (guacamole on burgers anyone?)

I was doing GA one year when a friend went into town and asked what we would like him to bring back, I said 30 McDonalds burgers and then we waited and gave them out to hikers.
    There were a few vegetarians who came along but, they ALL accepted at least one burger.
    They tend to get less fussy about their diet when hiking long distance.
    (this was after only 70 miles I believe at Dicks Creek Gap too)

Good luck.
    I was a vegetarian for a year and hiked with many.
    They eat pretty good.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

As a vegetarian I think it is very considerate of you in your endeavors. In respect to fiddlehead a dedicated vegetarian would not eat meat even on the trail. Many who describe themselves as vegetarian do it because it is fashionable and are not truly committed. I agree with previous posters who have made good points. Personally I prefer tofu that had been dipped in BBQ sauce before cooking but tempeh is good too. Once again thanks for thinking of others.

Garlic
    Images

Hey, Chin;

I wouldn't go beyond the effort of a package of commercial veggie burgers and call that good, and do it all on the same grill as separate as you can make it. I'm a fairly serious vegetarian and I was so damn happy to see a couple of trail angels on the AT doing just that. I was vegan for a few years and speaking for myself, it was too restrictive to expect anyone else to cater to you. A side of vegetarian baked beans, some chips or nuts, and some juice or fruit would be really nice, and all a vegan should expect.

Chicken, turkey or fish burgers would also be nice for those who only eschew red meat (pescetarians or chicken-tarians, whatever), or who are bending their rules only slightly while thru hiking (ahem).

I saw a great cartoon, where an older woman is talking to a peer, saying something like, "When I was young, I was vegetarian for ethical reasons. As I got older, I was vegetarian for health reasons. Now I'm vegetarian just to be annoying." Don't let them (us) annoy you.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'm planning on bringing my grill to some road crossings in May to treat some of the Class of '14. I know how to take good care of carnivores. I have no idea what things the Vs would want other than my side dishes for the carnivores.

Any simple ideas for the grill.
    Thank you for making the effort. Most people wouldn't give us the time of day, much less any special consideration regarding our ethical choices. It's admirable of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a vegetarian and like the idea of a big helping of potato or macaroni salad and something cold to drink. Making it vegan would a bit trickier since you couldn't use mayo (there is a product called Vegenaise that's a good vegan alternative to mayo). Grilled zucchini or similar type vegetables is always good...with some olive oil and salt\pepper. Fresh fruit would probably be amazing as well.

I appreciate you giving thought to us Vs. :0)

Journal Entries

For me the AT was a large exercise in being grateful in receiving what was offered and challenging my own beliefs of what should be offered. I'm not saying don't offer those choices because its great to do so but a don't knock yourself out if that might be frustrating. You are the angel they are the 'child' of the trail.

Just my humble opinion and "trail angel your own trail magic " applies.

Have fun
    Last edited by Starchild; 04-06-2014 at 10:05.

First, very thoughtful of you.

I agree that many will not want their food on the same grill or handled with the same tools. It might be easier to prepare something cold and have it on hand. Perhaps something like a Hunza bread (made without honey). I was at a vegan potluck recently and one person made a great vegan potato salad. Basically steamed potatoes, veggies, and oil. No mayo or fake anything. Another simple option would be peanut butter (or any nut butter) and jelly sandwiches. If you serve something in which the ingredients cannot all be readily observed, such as bread, have the packages they came in with ingredients listed available for inspection and you will be loved by many.

To be as inclusive as possible with the understanding that you won't please everyone no matter how hard you try, simply avoid fake anything and cook only with ingredients that 1. you can pronounce and 2. have been around longer than 100 years.

I can't imagine that vegetarians accepted hamburgers simply because they were hiking. I spent three years in the army and it didn't occur to me to eat meat. I haven't thru-hiked so can't say which is harder.
    Last edited by perrymk; 04-06-2014 at 09:19.

Don't need mayo for potato salad, you can make it with Italian dressing, or just oil, vinegar and herbs. Look up "German Potato Salad" for example. Taste for mayo is kind of a cultural thing. Some folks I know (like my wife) don't care for it at all.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    There were a few vegetarians who came along but, they ALL accepted at least one burger.
    This is both false and insulting. As a long-time vegetarian, I've known a lot of other vegetarians, including many I've met on my thru-hikes. None of them would eat a burger or even accept one just to be polite. People who eat burgers are, by definition, not vegetarians. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vegetarian. People can eat whatever they want, but it's arrogant to assume that all vegetarians will eat meat when offered it on a thru-hike.

As for the OP, super cool of you to think about veggies for your trail magic. Like others have said, any kind of veggie burger would be fine. I've been to hiker feeds where there was no vegetarian food offered, I and just ate my own food instead. You can't really complain when someone is spending their own money to help out hikers. I'm also easy to please, and I could probably make a "veggie burger" out of buns + whatever toppings (cheese, tomatoes, etc.) are available.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++