WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Roasted Potatoes and onions in a small skillet on the grill, cover with tin foil, serve with some hot sauce. Easy, vegan, cheap! (Wanna really surprising dish? Add some brussel sprouts in the mix, they blacken nicely in a pan )
    Located in Downtown Damascus at the old Quincey's Pizza location at 132 W Laurel Street, on the AT. We're looking forward to serving you!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    What other stuff might not cross this omnivore's mind? I suppose certain hamburger buns are a no-go too. And I guess they can't have butter on the bun either.
    Buns are an issue as well if eggs were used in the baking process. I eat my sandwiches with lettuce as my "bun" when I cannot find vegan friendly bread.
    My Journey - www.couch2trail.com

Like the grilled potatoes and onions idea.

If you want to do a little pre-cooking, get a big bag of kale at the grocery store, then spread it out on a couple of cookie sheets. Hit it with a spray of olive oil, sprinkle a little salt, then bake in a 400* oven for about 20-30 minutes. They crisp up just like chips and are excellent to add to other veggie dishes or eggs. Makes a good burger topping for us carnivores too.

I've been lurking around this site for about a year and this thread is the only one that has inspired me to post a reply. I am a vegan backpacker and I think it's very very thoughtful to consider vegans/vegetarians while planning your trail magic. I have to say that I never expect anyone to go out of their way to cook something appropriate for me; at parties etc I usually just eat the salads and such. If I came upon someone grilling up some trail magic I would certainly not be offended if none of it were suitable for me to eat (and there's no way I would take a real burger just to be polite or for any reason). I'm also not such a strict vegan that I would turn down a portobello or a veggie kabob just because it's grilled on the same grill as the meat and certainly not because it has meat smoke on it. Someone else suggested using a separate set of tongs which I do agree with but again, I wouldn't turn it down if you used the same tongs. That's just me. I thought the vegetarian chili was a good idea too---skip the TVP and use lots of beans and lentils instead...or even a tofu scramble with lots of veggies. The chili might actually be the cheapest option.
    Again, to the OP, thank you for thinking of us.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Another person who thinks grilled veggies are loved by anyone. Mmmm..... bell peppers, eggplant, onions or squash coated will olive oil and grilled is just awesome.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Grilled zucchini spears. Quarter, toss with olive oil, pepper, salt, and a dash of lemon or red wine vinegar. Carrots can also be prepared similarly. They can be prepped at home and bought to the trailhead in ziploc bags.

I think fresh fruit would be more appreciated. Grapes, bananas, etc.

Ditto cucmbers. Peel and render them hexpartite. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++