Default section hike advise

Hi guys, I'm planning a section hike in May leaving from Dicks Creek, GA and ending at the NOC in NC. I would have 8 days to get those miles in before I have to go back to work. Is this feasible for a fairly unfit hiker or do I need to look at a different stopping point?

Much appreciate your thoughts!

Images

It's certainly possible. The mileage isn't bad for a beginning hiker, though the climb out of DCG will get your attention.

I would plan to resupply in Franklin, NC. That an easy place to get to and from the trail, and it has grocery stores and hiker lodging. It's also an easy place to get off the trail if you need or want to do so.

Edit: that's a nice time of year to be on the trail.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Actually, the climb from the GA/NC border up Sharp Top and Courthouse Bald are the ones that will really get your attention. After that though, it's pretty easy walking to NOC outside of a steep but short ascent of Albert Mtn.

Consider staying at Plumorchard Shelter to break up that first day, and then either Muskrat Creek or Standing Indian shelters. From there, my newbie 20-year old daughter put in easy 8-10 mile days to NOC in early May with great weather. If you take 2 days to get to Standing Indian, then you can easily cover the remaining miles to NOC in an additional 6 days, especially if you cover the mileage throughout an entire day of daylight (including perhaps after a rejuvenating dinner on a nice evening).

Form comparison, as an experienced, fairly fit but older backpacker hiking solo familiar with this section, I would probably plan to cover 65 those miles in 5 days, possibly with a re-supply in Franklin just to cut my carry weight.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Section Hiker

Hey, One More! I'll be behind you headed north to NOC in early June. I've been reading several trail journals at Trailjournals.com to get an idea of the mileage hikers are doing from Springer-Fontana. I'm trying to be a realist and not over-estimate my capabilities, but from what I'm seeing I should be alright to meet or exceed my goal if all goes well (weather, no injuries, etc.). you might take some time to read some journals to get some real examples. Have a great hike!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Thanks guys!!! I wasn't planning a resupply in franklin bc I'm brining my dog with me but I might do that and send one night with a shower! I've done most of the Ga AT already so hopefully I'll survive

Journal Entries

Ill second that the hardest part will be the rocky stair-like climbs in north GA. NC is graded very very well, you stroll uphill there. You will notice the difference the moment you cross into NC at Bly Gap, seriously.

I really cant imagine it taking someone 8 days , so I think its pretty safe to bet that no matter what shape you are in, or what pack wt you carry, you can probably do that. When some people hike low miles, its because they start at 9am, and stop at 3pm. People that do more miles may start at 6am, and stop at 5 pm. Walk longer at an easy pace, not faster, not harder, and the miles take care of themself.

++ New Posts ++