WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Multi use wind shirt suggestions

Looking for a light wind shirt for backpacking, hiking, running, canoeing, and even piddling around town around the river. Any opinions on the Houdini, Tachyon, or the Luke's Ultralight in argon? Or maybe another suggestion.

Images

Windshirts from my perspective is key gear to carry for any season

Not sure the brand matters as much as packing this layer. I use Icebreaker merino wool tee shirt as my base layer and often have my wind shirt on top. 30-50 degrees, windy conditions.

I have an orange (hunting season) orange Go Lite nylon wind shirt. Wind up using it during EVERY hike and also at night to remain warm

Super light
    Dries fast
    Great gear

Q

Images

Marmot Trail Wind Hoody, about 5ozs...

Images

Marmot Dri-Clime wind shirt. I like the full zip

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I'm pretty happy with the Houdini. I had a Marmot Trail Wind Hoody for awhile as well. Both do fine, although I think the Marmot had just a tad bit more warmth. They're all pretty similar. A hood is crucial for warmth IMO.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Stoic Wraith Shell. 2.5 ounces with hood. The hard part is finding it in stock and then ponying up for it. I bought the orange color on sale (for hunting season), but then it apparently fell out of my pack on my way up Baldpate in Maine a few years ago. Bummer.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Marmot dry-clime wind shirt for me. When it cools off, putting that shirt on feels so darn good!

I have the stoic and it is good but very slim in the elbows if you have arm muscles*. I don't so it works well.

*this also makes a puffy layer underneath less efficient. A fleece is no problem.

Patagonia Houdini is my go to wind shirt. Warm, super light and very comfortable. I have been using one for a couple of years now and it is the one piece of gear I never leave home.

--louis

Images

Love my Houdini. It's always in my pack for 3-season hiking. The Marmot DriClime is a two layer wind shirt, so it's warmer and I use it in the winter.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

+1 on "Love my Houdini."

I don't have Luke's wind shell, rather his rain shell in silnylon and can recommend that his hood design is something I really like. I like to stretch mine over the brim of ball cap in rain. Also he can, on request, add additional length to the pit zips now which I wish I had done on my first jacket.

I think Luke is the choice if you have sizing issues and/or want to customize features.

David

Images

The older Patagonia Houdini have a good reputation. The new version is much less breathable. I have a newer one (~1.5 years old) and hate it because it's not breathable enough.

I have a Camp Magic Anorak which I really like. I'd recommend the Magic products, breathable and water resistant (not waterproof but more breathable than rain jackets).
    Magic jacket, hooded ($55)
    Magic pants ($50)
    Magic runner's jacket, no hood ($45)
    http://www.camp-usa.com/products/categories/CLOSEOUTS.asp
    Sizes run small (my medium is a little tight, between normal medium and small).

Also, much cheaper is the "fauxdini" on ebay from China for $12 +$1.45 shipping:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261399212290?var=560294614902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    It's more breathable and runs very small: XXL = medium but with short sleeves. These are decent for the price if it fits you, but the Camp is not.

Images

The new Mont Bell shirts 1.5 oz.-5 oz...Interesting, I have a Mont Bell wind shirt w/ hood but at 7 oz., I have replaced with my Marmot Mica 7 oz.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Now to wait for the clearance sales.

Montbell Tachyon comes in at 1.4oz for a size med and my MontBell Tachyon Anorak Pullover comes in at 1.9oz for a medium. I have no complaints about either for their weight.

++ New Posts ++