WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best book about JMT?

I'm looking for a good book about the jmt and areas as I hope to do a thru late aug or early sept..I live in north Florida and only hiking experience is on the southern AT.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is what I'd recommend. 'The John Muir Trail' by Wenk.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Muir-Trai.../dp/0899974368

Be ready to be blown away by scenery. Be prepared for cagey bears (protect your food in bear canisters).

I used Elizabeth Wenk's guide as well as Ray Rippel's ebook which I found useful for preliminary planning http://jmtbook.com. Also, I recommend the Tom Harrison JMT map pack.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Erik the Black has a pocket atlas of the JMT that I liked better than the Harrison maps as far as the trail is concerned. I think the Harrison maps are better for surrounding areas just off trail however. If you are planning on sticking just to the JMT, I would suggest Erik's atlas. If you want Wenk's book I think I have a copy I'd sent ya. Just cover the shipping.
    Schnikel

Quote Originally Posted by schnikel View Post
    Erik the Black has a pocket atlas of the JMT that I liked better than the Harrison maps as far as the trail is concerned. I think the Harrison maps are better for surrounding areas just off trail however. If you are planning on sticking just to the JMT, I would suggest Erik's atlas. If you want Wenk's book I think I have a copy I'd sent ya. Just cover the shipping.
    Schnikel
    Thx for the generous offer I just ordered off eBay....thx agsin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schnikel View Post
    Schnikel
    I'd love to get Wenk's book from you and happy to cover shipping. I'll PM you.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    I used Elizabeth Wenk's guide as well as Ray Rippel's ebook which I found useful for preliminary planning http://jmtbook.com. Also, I recommend the Tom Harrison JMT map pack.
    I have purchases all the books mentioned and I like Ray Ripple's the best. It is simple and speaks in plain language and tells you about his experiences and doesn't try to push off as a know it all. He doesn't embellish at all which is the most important.

I haven't seen the Erick the black book yet but I have heard of some good things about it?

++ New Posts ++