WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Default Parking at or near Fontana Dam

Heading down to hike in the next few weeks and had planned to park at the visitor's center at Fontana Dam. While reading the Companion it noted they do not typically open until May. Are there gates across the parking lot and/or do I need to contact someone there to obtain permission/notify of plans to leave my vehicle there for an extended period of time?

If that's not an option, what do folks recommend as an alternate parking option with a hike beginning or ending at Fontana Dam?
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

From what I recall, it's simply a mater that the visitor's center is simply closed.

There's no gates to limit access to the dam because they still need to allow access to trail heads and parking lots on the far side of the dam.

I don't recall any gates for the parking lot at the visitor's center, and the parking lot is large enough that they don't have much of a reason to restrict access (it ain't going to fill up).

About the only thing I'm not sure of is whether the restrooms and showers are still available during the off season.

I've left my truck there many times in the winter for hiking. The lot is huge. It is never closed. The visitor center is closed off season, but the trail across the dam is open. I've never seen the restrooms closed, but I have seen the showers closed. The trail across the dam is a paved road, and sometimes you can drive across. There is another small parking lot at the end of that road where the AT actually starts into the woods. I have seen cars parked there but have never done it myself. That might save you a mile, but I would worry about the security there, since that small lot is very isolated.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    About the only thing I'm not sure of is whether the restrooms and showers are still available during the off season.
    According to Bill Bryson, they are not....but I have no personal experience of this....YET!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I have left my car there twice in the off-season in the last 12 months for a period of a week or so. No problems. Bathroom was open; showers were not.

It is safe to park a vehicle at the following places:
    a) The trailhead parking at the junction of the AT and Lakeshore Trail
    b) The visitor center at the dam
    c) near the Fontana Hilton
    d) The Marina

If you don't feel safe leaving your vehicle at any of these, you can call the Hike Inn and have them shuttle you to the trailhead.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'd just about park my car and leave it unlocked with my wallet on the seat at the dam / visitor center.

Committing a crime like B&E into a car on TVA (i.e. Federal) property would be about the stupidest thing imaginable. I'm fairly certain someone has noticed that the dam is a potential terrorist target and it's watched pretty close.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'd just about park my car and leave it unlocked with my wallet on the seat at the dam / visitor center.

Committing a crime like B&E into a car on TVA (i.e. Federal) property would be about the stupidest thing imaginable. I'm fairly certain someone has noticed that the dam is a potential terrorist target and it's watched pretty close.
    But the federal prisons are the nicest ones! Thats the preferable prison to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    But the federal prisons are the nicest ones! Thats the preferable prison to go to.
    Three hots and a cot! Free medical care! Sign me up!

++ New Posts ++