WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Maps on the CT

Default Maps on the CT

I was curious if it was necessary for me to get the maps for the CT. It seems to be a very well marked and maintained trail so I thought I would get a little input on the matter.

Thanks in advance guys (and gals)

Ben

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Yes. Get the maps.

Bad weather can happen, fires are always a possibility (though, looking less so this year) and alternate routes may want to be taken for various reasons.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I agree. Besides what Mags says about the general safety of maps, there are some detours you might want to make, like catch a 14er or two along the way. A complete set of CT maps generated in TOPO and printed double sided is not very much weight, maybe 5 ounces or so. I'll see shortly when I print my set.

Buy Erik the Blacks CT Atlas. Data book and map set all in one.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Be sure to order the maps from the Colorado Trail Foundation if hiking the newly rerouted Collegiate West. According to the CT foundation, their map set is the only one to show the current Collegiate West route: http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Co...ok-MAPBOOK.htm

Personally I don't feel comfortable hiking without good maps even on the AT and the western trails are not as regularly marked as with the AT white blazes. At least that's true in the sierra and from what I'm reading on the CT as well.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BensMusicHiker View Post
    I was curious if it was necessary for me to get the maps for the CT. It seems to be a very well marked and maintained trail so I thought I would get a little input on the matter.

Thanks in advance guys (and gals)

Ben
    I hiked the CT last summer. The trail is generally well-marked.

But I liked have the CT Foundation paper maps with me. Afternoon thunderstorms were very common, and I always liked knowing before a days hike where the exposed, above-treeline sections of trail would be.

I don't know about you, but I always enjoy being able to know the names of ridges and peaks surrounding the trail - even if I know where I am. It's nice to be able to put a current position into the greater context of the landscape around you.

Maps don't weigh much, and in the overall cost of a hike, don't amount to much money.

Awesome guys, thanks so much for the input.... Have the CTF maps in my checkout just wanted to get a little feedback first before i dive 60.00 into it. Pretty excited, and again fellas thanks.

ben

maps bought and on there way!

Images

I found the Latitude 40 maps much better than the CTF maps and the Trails Illustrated maps. The Latitude 40 maps had all the new and soon to be new Collegiate West trails marked on them. We would have been very lost on the CW section last year without this map - we had both the CTF maps, data book and Erics book.

Any suggestions for resupply if I took the CW route?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BensMusicHiker View Post
    Any suggestions for resupply if I took the CW route?
    I'm planning on a resupply at the Monarch Crest store, assuming that it is open and accepting resupply packages this summer. Apparently the property is for sale: http://www.weshillrealestate.com/ind...w&listingID=69 If I cannot confirm that they are accepting packages, I'll probably have to send a resupply to Salida and hope to get a ride. I haven't tried to confirm yet.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

so far i plan to resupply in Twin Lakes, then again at the Monarch Crest Store... I may send a call that way now.

RN-PCT2015 I tried the only number for the store i could find and currently says its disconnected... If you find out anything different will you please advise.

The store only operates seasonally. It is closed right now.

Images

We resupplied in Tincup - but I think the trail was moved away from it this year. We were treated like royalty in Tincup.
    There were a lot of road walks in that area, and the Latitude 40 map showed where the trail was being re-located to, so Tincup may not be a choice this year.

Get the CTF Mapbook. All proceeds from the Mapbooks goes to support the Colorado Trail foundation. Every penny.

I did not resupply on the CW; took four days and a bit to do it and I carried food for six days.

Re. Maps. I bought the CTF mapbook but stopped carrying maps after a week or so; used the Databook instead. The trail is obvious. Perhaps not the best strategy given some of the points made above. I had my GPS as a backup.

I had thru-hiked the CDT previously to thru-hiking the CT(they overlap a lot so already knew much of the CT route) and I still carried detailed CT Topo maps(Nat Geo TI maps) that covered the CT seamlessly and GLAD I did in late Sept into mid Oct. I would still roll with some kind of topo maps for the CT even if I thrued the CT again which is a good possibility. Others have mentioned several good map options. I do like what Bearcreek said about supporting the CTF which makes the CTF exist!

Check out Mags CT resupply website info for the CW route. http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

++ New Posts ++