WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Permethrin Spray w/Applicator to Treat Clothing

Heads up: I recently ordered and paid for a 24 oz. bottle of Permethrin (w/applicator) from Campmor for $14.89 dollars. Yesterday I walked through my local Wal-Mart and found to my surprise (never seen this before) for sale the same bottle, same 24 oz., same solution mix-for $9.89! Looks like I might get a second bottle. Thought I'd pass on the info.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Excellent tip! One hour too late... I just paid $16 at REI for my bottle. Good old Walmart!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Excellent tip! One hour too late... I just paid $16 at REI for my bottle. Good old Walmart!
    Its great if it has it. You can usually feel pretty comfortable when you find what you want at WalMart it is a good price.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Just made a run over to the Walmart by my office - 12oz for ~$10. Not even a shelf slot for the 24 oz size. Worth a shot, but back to Amazon Prime....
    Last edited by Offshore; 04-11-2014 at 15:07.

Went looking for some the other day - all my store has is DEET. Am I looking in the wrong place (camping) ?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There is also a service out there that can take your favorite clothing (including socks) and subject them to the same durable treatment as the military and bug-off clothing gets. Good for something like 70 washings. It's not precisely cheap, but it also won't wash out, and it probably comes in less expensive that the spray from the store once you factor in re-treatments for the spray.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

On-line the 24-oz applicator is shown for almost $16. My guess is that this was either a mis-price or they were trying to move the merchandise in this store.

Section Hiker

I have found it before at one WalMart but not the other. Sometimes Cabela's has it, if you have one nearby.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I just bought 2 bottles at Walmart for 9.89 as well, In KY, so it must no be a regional thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Went looking for some the other day - all my store has is DEET. Am I looking in the wrong place (camping) ?
    I see that Dick's Sporting Goods has it, if there's one in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I see that Dick's Sporting Goods has it, if there's one in your area.
    Nope, might not even be one in the state of NH for all I know.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

They also have a good price on the Sawyer Mini.

Default Name?

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95 View Post
    There is also a service out there that can take your favorite clothing (including socks) and subject them to the same durable treatment as the military and bug-off clothing gets. Good for something like 70 washings. It's not precisely cheap, but it also won't wash out, and it probably comes in less expensive that the spray from the store once you factor in re-treatments for the spray.

Iceman - do you know what the name of the treatment is or the name of the company?

Academy Sports usually carries it too, somewhere around the $15 to $16 price. The last time I bought it I had to find a manager to find it. They moved it from camping to a different department.

Gotta get me some of that .... thanks SunnyWalker!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95 View Post
    It's Insect Shield. The long lasting treatment makes sense to me for a long hike because of the inconvenience of buying and using the spray permethrin on the trail. New clothing pretreated with Insect Shield is nice but pretty expensive.
    http://www.insectshield.com/PDF/IS%2....S.%20form.pdf
    $10 per item plus shipping.

Images

What about a bottle of hi-yield 33% permethrin and a gallon size bug sprayer from lowes? Together about $40 but you can spray around your house and keep out the ants and such, too...
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Nope, might not even be one in the state of NH for all I know.
    There's one in Concord, near the mall. Probably not worth coming down to Concord when you can just order it online.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    What about a bottle of hi-yield 33% permethrin and a gallon size bug sprayer from lowes? Together about $40 but you can spray around your house and keep out the ants and such, too...

Most likely you will find that that mix you're looking at has a petroleum base that you just might not want on your clothing. The Sawyer stuff is meant for on your clothes and gear, the rest is meant for around the barn, the stable, the house, etc. etc.

Different formulation and way different 'other ingredients'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++