WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Snow Peak Giga Power Stove

Been using a Whisperlite, white gas stove but have been wanting to switch to a canister stove. Snow Peak claims "good cold weather performance at high altitudes." Sounds good but looking for some real world accounts, the good bad and ugly. Would a 20 degree morning in the Smokey's be pushing my luck with this stove?

Default Snow Peak Giga Power Stove

No problems for me in the cold. I flipped from Gorham on my hike and it worked great for three weeks in a snowy Maine November.

High elevation is an advantage to canister stoves in the cold, as the boiling point of the fuel is lower. The Smokies, however, are not very high.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't have the Giga Power, but I do use the Snow Peak Lite Max (which I greatly recommend because of how small it folds up).
    I recently took a hike in GSMNP last month where night time lows were in the low thirties or very high twenties. I had taken a canister that was about 1/2 full for a two night hike. Temperatures were warm enough in the evening to use the stove... but I couldn't get it fired up in the morning. So the next time I went back (about two weeks later), I went back to my wisper lite.

So I don't plan on heading back into the Smokies with a canister stove unless I know temperatures are going to stay above freezing.

Thank you all for the feedback!

I've used this stove for years and years, and would suggest it to anyone. It's very similar to the ever-popular MSR Pocket Rocket, weighs and costs the same, but packs up smaller, and also has four "arms" instead of three, meaning it can handle a larger cookpot. Absolutely a great product. Those of you contemplating a cannister stove system should absolutely check this out.

the giga power has a nice looking wind screen. But Soto has a lighter windscreen , and stove is a tiny bit lighter

Got to agree with Mr. Tarlin. My standard Snowpeak stove is a real dependable workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    the giga power has a nice looking wind screen. But Soto has a lighter windscreen , and stove is a tiny bit lighter
    Is the wind screen for the giga power something you would recommend? How effective is it?

Images

You might want to look at the Soto Stoves....

Just keep the canaster warm and you won't have a problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    Just keep the canaster warm and you won't have a problem.
    Saw a review (the only 1 star) where the person used a homemade wind screen and the canister/stove blew up. Therefore, it's a dangerous stove !!!

People.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Saw a review (the only 1 star) where the person used a homemade wind screen and the canister/stove blew up. Therefore, it's a dangerous stove !!!

People.
    First of all, I ASSUMED that The Snowman's comment was directed towards the idea of keeping it warm before used.
    Second, using a wind screen (which the stove instructions will tell you NOT to do) can lead to a canister blowing up... but that's not the fault of the stove, it's the fault of the user placing a wind screen around the canister allowing the canister to get too hot.
    Third, so long as you do something to ensure the canister doesn't get too hot, you can use some sort of a wind screen with a canister stove... but you do so at your own risk.

I should clarify...I was referring to the wind screen made by Snow Peak for the giga power.

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post

People.

Yes, people making generalized statements that are incorrect.

The stove is not dangerous. It sounds like the people not following manufacture directions are the dangerous ones.

Snow Peak's wind screen mounts on the stove, just below the burner head. It actually blocks most of the heat from getting to the canister, while also protecting the flames from wind. Its a much safer approach than using a wrap around wind screen, which can trap heat and raise the canister temp to a dangerous level. ( as Old Hiker is referring to )

Toga, im not sure how effective the Snow Peak wind screen is, but it does seem heavy for its size. 2 ozs.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toga View Post
    Been using a Whisperlite, white gas stove but have been wanting to switch to a canister stove. Snow Peak claims "good cold weather performance at high altitudes." Sounds good but looking for some real world accounts, the good bad and ugly. Would a 20 degree morning in the Smokey's be pushing my luck with this stove?
    Toga, here is a good site that has the info you are looking for.

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....gas-stove.html

Happy reading.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

Starvin Marvin, Great blog! Really pulls together a lot of information and fantastic explanation behind the science. I've decided to pass on the Snow Peak windscreen (but did buy the giga power stove). One thing that appealed to me about the stove is it's weight and the windscreen nearly doubles that. Now for the fun part, getting out and using the thing.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I used the Giga Power for years on my Fall section hikes before I went with the LiteMax. Just put the canister in your sleeping bag and it should be more than warm enough to start up on a cold morning. I used the official SnowPeak windscreen several times, but frankly I don't think it was worth the 2-oz weight penalty relative to the performance I get when I use a large piece of aluminum foil as a partial windbreak.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Though different from the Giga Power, I have the Snow Peak LiteMax. Though I've never used it at elevation, the thing is a champ - despite me foolishly burning the snot out of my finger's once... I've been amazed with the power and quality of the product.

I'll try making an Al version of the giga power windscreen and let you know if it melts down.
    The Soto stove looks good
    I made a really good enclosed version of a wind screen for the pocket rocket,
    On intelligent advise I threw it away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++