WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Coral snake bites about to become more dangerous

Baron
    Images

I, for one, welcome our new Serpent overlords.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr O View Post
    I'm sure you're chaps ? is tongue and cheek. Wearing chaps to protect against coral snake bites is a bit extreme. I'm sure that most of the 100 or so yearly coral snake bites happen when the snake is picked up and handled. The coral snake can be confused wirh the kingsnake.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I lived in Florida for several years and never once saw a coral snake...saw many rattlers though...like mom always said, don't bother them and they won't bother you.

Red touch yellow, kill a fellow.
    Red touch black, you're all right, Jack.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/...ch-yellow.html

Quote Originally Posted by bucherm View Post
    i, for one, welcome our new serpent overlords.
    :d:d . . . . .

That's a really bad article.
    In the second sentence alone, the alarmist rhetoric is dialed up to eleven, using words meant to create fear in most people.

"... experts estimate that 25 percent of coral snake envenomations are dry bites--which is perhaps why the coral is so unaggressive."

If it's a dry bite, how can it be an envonomation? It CAN'T, can it? durh.
    Unless the snakes are self-aware in a very human sense, how can a low percentage of envenomations POSSIBLY result in the snakes being so unagressive? Low self-esteem? This article illustrates creeping Idiocracy as applies to journalism. PM used to be a good publication. ***.

Beyond that, the article is reflexive in that it poorly describes a society in decline; a society that's unable to meet basic public health needs because the economic and governmental infrastructures needed to provide antivenins is failing. I guess antivenins are considered boutique medicine nowadays.

As you lie in an ER while your leg swells up and your flesh rends and turns black and you begin to die from your exotic snake bite, you can imagine that you hear the sound of one hand clapping -- the sound of the invisible hand of the free market that failed you in a very personal way.
    Social Darwinism is awesome, isn't it?!

Chaps are a little bit of an overkill for coral snakes. These snakes do have very nasty venom, much like a sea snake, but it's very difficult for them to bite into you, even thick clothing will protect you. Add to that the are really shy and you really have to "look" to find one.

I thought the article was ok and is not a typical attempt at fear-mongering. This is a problem and it's all about money, just a fact of life, you need money to do things. Here's another link concerning the issue. http://hsc.unm.edu/conf/Venomweek/FD...9_fulltext.pdf

My advice would be not to play with coral snakes and you should be fine. And if you're one of the unlucky ones...well nature sucks

BTW, this thread would be more appropriate under the Florida Trail forum.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post

BTW, this thread would be more appropriate under the Florida Trail forum.

But then nobody would read it. . .

Darn! All this social commentary and writing about Nature...in Popular Mechanics?

I woulda subscribed if I'd known... All these years wasted with Popular Science...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Oh crap, some more conspiracy theories. The simple fact is, in this scenario the real culprit is not political or social circumstance.

It’s NATURE.

The fact is without our society we all would live a much harder life and not have a snowball’s chance of making to 100, we’d be lucky to live ½ that age.

It is strange that it’s nature that causes the most hardships in life, yet the govt, big business or our "evil" society gets the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    ...in Popular Mechanics?

I woulda subscribed if I'd known... All these years wasted with Popular Science...

FB
    I also thought that was kind of strange

most bites are from picking up potted plants they hide under them.get pinched and struck out .when you pick up a 10 inch pot its one hand on the rim and fingers under the bottom.pow finger nip. the only ones i have ever seen were under pots.cool,damp,what else could you ask for in fla?wonderful snakes one of my favs

Images

"Red next to black is a friend of Jack; red next to yellow will kill a fellow"

Panzer

I live on and off in Australia, Australia has about 15 of the world's most deadly snakes, including number 2 or thereabouts, the Queensland Taipan. Notable others include:
    - Tiger Snake
    - Death Adder
    - King Brown Snake
    - Dugite
    - Red Bellied Blacksnake, etc...

If any of these snakes bite you (and inject venom which is unlikely if you startle a snake) and you are alone, miles from anywhere...you are doing to die, it's really that simple.

Saying that...the best advice I ever got on snakes is the following:
    - A snake does not know it's a snake, meaning when it sees you, it simply sees something 50 times it's size and hauls a$$ outta there
    - There is no recognised, recorded, single account of a snake 'attack', even the aggressive Tiger Snake of Australia will not advance on someone, but they will hold ground
    - Only two types of snakes bite...scared snakes and angry snakes
    - If startled, a snake will bite but generally will be unable to inject venom, snakes must prime for this, and it takes a few seconds

Now Lyme Disease...that is scary, and that is something that is outright likely for many hikers!

Images

well on the topic of reptiles from Fl killing people lets talk about all the unreported deaths every year from alligator attacks in the New York City sewers. One of the reasons that the MTA may be going broke is all the money they pay out to settle these cases and keep them out of the media.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

IMHO, Popular Mechanics Magazine should stick to all things mechanical, and leave conceptual topics to other folks.

I don't know how many times over my many decades on this planet, I have read a cover story in Popular Mechanics Magazine about some wondrous invention that was going to change the lifestyle of the average US citizen. The change never comes, but there is always a new issue to read, every month.....

Just my opinion.

More hype. More of a let's spread the fear article! Seems to be a hot thing to do lately in the media, especially on made in Hollywood made for TV ratings adventure type shows set to hyped music scores and narrated by an overly-dramatic-raise the-hype actor - spread the fear by way of ignorance of any animal that MIGHT pose a risk to humans! Have you heard some of the overly dramatic background music scores and equally overly dramatic over-the-top hype-it-up narrators on TV shows, even documentaries, lately? I've noticed several TV shows specifically aimed at spreading fear of animals - whether it be venemous snakes, alligators, bears, etc.

I've seen many coral snakes in Fl. None of them were agressive. As some others have posted, most cases of the snakes biting people were when the snakes were purposely being handled or when the snakes were suddenly disturbed, like when picking up a potted plant that had been outdoors. The snakes have a small mouth, are rear fanged, and unless they can find a place to hold down and get a good bite, like between toes or fingers, they can't inject that much venom. They are very susceptible to cold spells, making them very unlikely to strike in colder months.

Coral snakes tend to be relatively shy creatures, and bites are uncommon. Coral snakes account for fewer than 1% of venomous snakebites in the United States. Most people bitten by coral snakes are handling them intentionally. Most bites occur in the spring or fall.
    Pathophysiology

The coral snake venom apparatus is composed of a pair of small, fixed, hollow fangs in the anterior aspect of the upper jaw through which the snake conducts venom via a chewing motion. Unlike pit vipers, such as rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cottonmouths, which strike quickly, coral snakes must hang on for a brief period to achieve significant envenomation in humans.

Coral snake venoms tend to have significant neurotoxicity, inducing neuromuscular dysfunction. They have little enzymatic activity or necrotic potential compared with most vipers and pit vipers. These venoms tend to be some of the most potent found in snakes, yet the venom yield per animal is less than that of most vipers or pit vipers. Because of the relatively primitive venom delivery apparatus, as many as 60% of those bitten by North American coral snakes are not envenomed.

Frequency

United States

***Probably fewer than 20 bites per year (though 99 alleged bites were reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers in 2004).<A href="javascript:showcontent('active','references' );">1
    Mortality/Morbidity

NO(NO)*** deaths related to coral snake bites have been reported in the United States since coral snake antivenom became available. Before that time, the estimated case-fatality rate was 10%,*** and the cause of death was respiratory or cardiovascular failure. Patients who survive the bite may require respiratory support for up to a week and may suffer persistent weakness for weeks to month.

*Taken from WEB MD.

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    IMHO, Popular Mechanics Magazine should stick to all things mechanical, and leave conceptual topics to other folks.

I don't know how many times over my many decades on this planet, I have read a cover story in Popular Mechanics Magazine about some wondrous invention that was going to change the lifestyle of the average US citizen. The change never comes, but there is always a new issue to read, every month.....

Just my opinion.

I'm still waiting for my jet pack.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Anybody know of a coral snake bite on the AT? Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    Anybody know of a coral snake bite on the AT? Ever?
    prolly not..
    I'm just sayin only if the At is extended into Alabama and then on into FL will you ever see a coral snake on the AT.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++