WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I carry a Leatherman Squirt because I have other reasons for wanting a knife, a small screwdriver and a pair of pliers. The pliers work fine for gripping the Grease Pot (and adding/removing the simmer ring on my stove).
    I had been thinking about switching my small Swiss Army Classic out with my recently obtained Gerber Clutch. Has most of the same stuff + good small pliers...

I like my Vargo 750 Titanium for its sloping sides, lid and locking folding handle.

I especially like the fact the alcohol stove flames come up the sides.

I have had a Caldera clone, I hope to replace, however the zelph ez fold windscreen or Suluk46 titanium windscreen are excellent windscreens.

And yet another for the IMUSA pots. I use a 12 to cook in and a 10 with the handle removed for a cup. Both have reflectix cozies - the 10 in the cozy fits perfectly inside of the 12 with no room to rattle around. Then the windscreen, stove and lighter in a ziploc, and my pack towel I use to clean up after cooking and as a pot grabber go inside the 10.

I really recommend buying one of the aftermarket lids for it. I've got one of Tinny's (from minibulldesigns) lids for the 12, and I just ordered a lid for the 10 from Zelph to replace the pie tin. You can always make your own, but the convenience of a lid that works well is just too good to give up.

One option that saves you about 30 percent in less fuel weight is a heat exchanger pot from Fire Maple. If you utilize a windscreen that funnels all the heat of your alcohol stove through the bottom of the heat exchanger pot, then you will get boil times that rival your microwave at home. It is a double win, quicker boil times and carrying less fuel. I have completely switched over to alcohol stoves after finding this pot. I also recommend using a two piece titanium windscreen that supports the pot. It all weighs just ounces, yet it performs like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated Hanger View Post
    One option that saves you about 30 percent in less fuel weight is a heat exchanger pot from Fire Maple. If you utilize a windscreen that funnels all the heat of your alcohol stove through the bottom of the heat exchanger pot, then you will get boil times that rival your microwave at home. It is a double win, quicker boil times and carrying less fuel. I have completely switched over to alcohol stoves after finding this pot. I also recommend using a two piece titanium windscreen that supports the pot. It all weighs just ounces, yet it performs like a champ.
    Some of the Fire Maple HE pots seem to be the same as the Olicamp pot I'm using. I too get great performance with an alcohol stove.

Dedicated Hanger,

Is the Fire Maple heat exchanger pot the 1.5 Liter Fire Maple Feast FMC-K2 Cookware?

http://www.fire-maple.com/en/productsinfo.aspx?pid=39

Connie, yes, it is. It is light weight, the folding handle is perfect for me (it is substantial and not one of those bent wire things), and it works like a charm to save cooking time and fuel. It is normally just my wife and I on the trail so we are just boiling water most of the time. Once I started using this pot, I started taking spaghetti noodles and rice. If you do not put anything else in the pot except the pasta or rice and water, it is still easy to clean without a bunch of soap and hot water...which we do not have in abundance on the trail. If I am not going too far, (i.e. less than 5 miles or so into the wilderness to camp and there are more than two of us) then we actually carry two Evernew titanium stoves and two of the Fire Maple pots so we can double up on the camp effort. With the titanium windscreen under the pot there is no wasted heat going up the sides. It all gets channeled into the heat fins at the bottom.

Hope I have helped. Stay well, hike well, and eat well.

I was just on Amazon and saw this product, the Bene Casa grease pot. Has anybody tried this? The 1qt size seems perfect to me! One reviewer said it leaked but others didn't say they had a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F3BGJK/

714r8RLd1mL._SL1500_.jpg

PS ... I feel weird that Amazon is aware of my obsession with aluminum grease collector pots

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++