WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Wide Bottom Pot for Alchy Stove

The pot that I'm using now on my alcohol stove, made from a aluminum bottle, seems to be a bit too narrow across the bottom. A good bit of the heat seems to be sneaking around the edges of the pot, so I'm wondering what is a good, lightweight option that is wider across the bottom, making full use of the burning fuel. The GSI kettle looks like a good choice, but I'd rather have a pot with a lid for more cooking options, when needed. Probably anodized aluminum, as the pricier Ti pots at the local outdoors store aren't in the current budget at the moment, sadly.

IMUSA's 12cm aluminum cup is perfect, just need to fashion (or buy) a lid. It's cheap, light and gets the job done. Forget about the overpriced Ti junk. (Did he really just say that?)

The Walmart Grease Pot is popular for this reason (similar to the IMUSA cup). Also, if you are using a side burning alcohol stove, you could consider switching to a center burning style. You will need to add a pot stand, but the heat is concentrated more in the middle and less heat is lost up the sides. Also, there is no heat lost during priming. For both reasons, they can be more efficient.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The Walmart Grease Pot is popular for this reason (similar to the IMUSA cup). Also, if you are using a side burning alcohol stove, you could consider switching to a center burning style. You will need to add a pot stand, but the heat is concentrated more in the middle and less heat is lost up the sides. Also, there is no heat lost during priming. For both reasons, they can be more efficient.

You really want the K-mart grease pot, the Walmart one has some issues in cleaning due to a inward turned rim. However I could not get over the word 'grease' stamped on the pot lid. Also agree about the side vs center flame and the addition of a pot stand.

Also if the funds come in check out the Evernew Ti pots which are wide based.

I just recently bought a Toaks titanium 900ml pot with a 130mm diameter for use with my alcohol stove. I bought it for the same reason you mentioned. Very light, seems kinda flimsy, but I guess that's with the territory. I am pleased with its performance after practice cooking inside a number of times. Got mine for $45 off amazon.
    http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium900mlpot.aspx

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    IMUSA's 12cm aluminum cup is perfect, just need to fashion (or buy) a lid. It's cheap, light and gets the job done. Forget about the overpriced Ti junk. (Did he really just say that?)
    +1 This right here.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    You really want the K-mart grease pot, the Walmart one has some issues in cleaning due to a inward turned rim....
    Thanks. I wasn't aware of that little detail about the difference between the "marts"

Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm going to hit the local 'mart and see what they have in stock.

I could also add that I am using a Olicamp XTS pot. It is annodized aluminum with a heat exchanger on the bottom to maximize efficiency. It does not with with sideburners and it is not particularly lightweight. Cost is in between Titanium and Grease pots. It's capacity is 1 L, so maybe that is bigger than you want.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm going to hit the local 'mart and see what they have in stock.
    It is not always easy to find the grease pots, I suggest you search online so you known what to look for - they have not been available in all 'marts.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    It amuses me that a fair number of the comments are from backpackers using it as a cooking pot.

Images

I use either the Batchstovez 10cm or 12cm pot http://www.batchstovez.com/batchstovez-cook-pots.php with my alcohol stove. I used a grease-pot for years, but prefer anodized aluminum. Antigravitygear made a great aluminum pot, but I think it's discontinued.

For times I need a larger/wider cooking pot, I use the KMart grease pot, too. Tough to beat it.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    However I could not get over the word 'grease' stamped on the pot lid.
    Heck...that is one of the 4 basic hiking food groups!

All joking aside...The IMUSA is probably the best cheep option IMO. The handle is both a blessing and a curse. I wrapped mine with fiberglass cord so it is easy to handle but it is difficult to make a cozy for it. Kmart grease pot is probably the lightest aluminum option, must have some sort of handling device.

And you can get lids for it from zelph. http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/imusa-mug-10cm-lids.php

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rstms View Post
    All joking aside...The IMUSA is probably the best cheep option IMO. The handle is both a blessing and a curse. I wrapped mine with fiberglass cord so it is easy to handle but it is difficult to make a cozy for it. Kmart grease pot is probably the lightest aluminum option, must have some sort of handling device.
    I carry a Leatherman Squirt because I have other reasons for wanting a knife, a small screwdriver and a pair of pliers. The pliers work fine for gripping the Grease Pot (and adding/removing the simmer ring on my stove).
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by rstms View Post
    just picked up one of these last week while grocery shopping...think it was like $3.99...Score!

Another vote for the 12cm Imusa. I get great boil times with it. For the money it can't be beat.

http://youtu.be/lWnKUVqH1lc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++