WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Record Attempt

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Hope he doesn't expect all the people on the trail to move out of the way for his "god given" attempt as he is no more important than the next person on the trail.
    Have a Good Friday !

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Sometimes, success comes out of failing enough times to figure something out - maybe he'll keep trying until it gets it right. Probably not, but you never know.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

My man Chruchill

In regards to this guy's chances, a quote from Thomas a Kempis comes to mind: "Man proposes. God disposes."

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I wish people would not do these things on the AT. I wish it would remain a hiking trail and not be used for records and fundraising and stunts. I am a certified curmudgeon I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Agree 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'm on board too.
    HYOH, bros.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I am the most important person on the trial... To me.

"The camp community is a sanctuary and a refuge from the scramble of every-day worldly commercial life. It is in essence a retreat from profit. Cooperation replaces antagonism, trust replaces suspicion, emulation replaces competition."

- Benton MacKaye, “An Appalachian Trail: A Project in Regional Planning.” Journal of the American Institute of Architects 9 (Oct. 1921): 325-330.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Proverbs 16:9 “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.”

Perhaps in part by creating mountains with a great many ups and downs?
    Nope. No imaginary friend created any mountains, and no imaginary friend determines whether a person succeeds or fails. If he succeeds, it will be because he was strong enough, lucky enough, and determined enough to do it. Failure is on him, too.

Personally, I wish that the AT wasn't a target for foolishness like this, but what can you do? People do foolish things, and there will always be people asking for others to pay them money to do foolish things.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Have a Good Friday !
    Friday is always a good day, since the weekend follows.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Hey folks-follow this as you like but don't use the thread to gratuitously bash religion.

Also, this is the speed hiking forum. If you are not interest ed in speed hiking, this isn't the forum for arguing against it. Put the thread or the forum on ignore.

Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I do believe this guy has bitten off more than he can chew....but look at all the naysayers last year when Matt did what he did. I think I remember most of you posting about his hike too.

I'm sorry you were offended by someone's post regarding religion, however there were quite a few other religious posts that may have offended him. He stated his beliefs in a way without using foul language so I don't think it was "gratuitously bashing".

Also regarding your second point, no one was arguing against speed hiking they were stating an opinion that they feel he will not reach his goal based upon what has been said and their experience. A forum is a place to discuss the merits and demerits of something otherwise it's just propaganda for something.

Not trying to hijack just pointing out that I think you were taking things a little too personally/seriously.

Ken

Aside from the physical and mental aspects of a record attempt, which are considerable, there are the logistical aspects which can make or break the attempt. We can only wonder how much effort has gone into the planning.

First off you need to know every access point to the trail which a vehical can get to, how far apart they are and how long it would take to get to from one to the other. Sometimes you have to drive 100 miles to get to the next road crossing which is only 10 or 20 miles by trail.

Then you need to station someone at each of these points. In order to keep his pace consistant, he will need pacers to run/walk with him and he'll need a freash pacer every 10 to 20 miles so that could be at least 4 people right there for a 54 mile day. At a minimum, someone has to be at the crossings to give him food and water and make sure he actually gets there.

Since access points aren't conveniently located exactly 54 miles apart, a lot of effort has to go into planning how far he has to go each day in order to achive the 54 mile a day average with out going too much over or under it. Each days section has to be planned as to distance and difficulty.

It would be an interesting project to write a computer simulation of a speed hike, taking in all the variables, like distance between access points, difficulty of the terrain, number of hours of daylight, calories burned and so on. Then you could figure out how far you'd have to go each day and what pace would have to be maintained to cover that amount of ground with the amount of daylight available to finish in a given amount of time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by psyon27 View Post
    I'm sorry you were offended by someone's post regarding religion, however there were quite a few other religious posts that may have offended him. He stated his beliefs in a way without using foul language so I don't think it was "gratuitously bashing".

Also regarding your second point, no one was arguing against speed hiking they were stating an opinion that they feel he will not reach his goal based upon what has been said and their experience. A forum is a place to discuss the merits and demerits of something otherwise it's just propaganda for something.

Not trying to hijack just pointing out that I think you were taking things a little too personally/seriously.

Ken
    I'm not taking anything personally in this thread and this is a common misconception among site members in general when a thread gets moderated--that it relates to the moderator's personal opinion. The thread got a warning because there are members who would not appreciate the religious comments being made. When posters start referring to a person's God as their imaginary friend, things start to go downhill. Is it necessary to do that for this thread? I don't believe so, and have no wish to see the thread spiral down.

There were at least two comments about not wanting to see record attempts on the AT. See the sticky. The Speed Hiking Forum is not the forum for that. We sometimes create subforums with restrictions like that because there are members who will jump in every thread about a subject they oppose and tie it up. People can argue respectfully outside of this subforum about speed hiking if they like. Sometimes people are unaware of the rules for this subforum so I pointed it out and that people can opt out of seeing threads like this.

Let's not continue to interrupt the thread though.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Point noted as to this being the Speed Hiking Forum
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Well, I can't speed hike, but I wish I could, and I enjoy following the attempts of those hikers who can speed hike, whether they succeed or fail - it's entertaining, and I've hiked enough sections to know what they are going through. I wish that sub60 guy had kept a daily journal, but I imagine he had enough to do without providing for my entertainment. Maybe he'll write a book?

I start my SOBO thru in just 3 months, but I won't be speed hiking.

He posted a series of YouTube clips as a journal, you might enjoy watching those:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vPg8LWbxOmTLCG

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by samfsmith View Post
    Well, I can't speed hike, but I wish I could, and I enjoy following the attempts of those hikers who can speed hike, whether they succeed or fail - it's entertaining, and I've hiked enough sections to know what they are going through. I wish that sub60 guy had kept a daily journal, but I imagine he had enough to do without providing for my entertainment. Maybe he'll write a book?

I start my SOBO thru in just 3 months, but I won't be speed hiking.
    Remember, not all speed hikers hike all that fast. When Jenn Pharr Davis did her 46 day supported speed hike of the A.T., she rarely hiked at a pace of more than 3-4 miles per hour, she just kept that pace all day long.

If your average hiking speed is 2 miles per hour, but you have the ability and discipline to hike for 10 hours a day, then you will still average 20 mile days. I have crossed paths with a lot of 60 and 70 year old hikers that hiked at a much slower speed than I do, but who hiked far more miles than me because they had the discipline to keep going at a safe, slow and steady pace.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 04-18-2014 at 15:50.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If your average hiking speed is 2 miles per hour, but you have the ability and discipline to hike for 10 hours a day, then you will still average 20 mile days. I have crossed paths with a lot of 60 and 70 year old hikers that hiked at a much slower speed than I do, but who hiked far more miles than me because they had the discipline to keep going at a safe, slow and steady pace.
    Totally agree. I never hike much more than 2 / 2.5 MPH, but I hike 12-14 hours a day.

I came to hike, not sit around or sleep the day away.

So he has been making films since high school and ultra long distance running for 6 years. What's to stop him? Logistics would be easy enough for anybody willing to put in the time. Good luck to him!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

huh? Matt already hiked his hike. Think youve got your hikers confused.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++