Thread: Drought

Default Drought

Just heard a report on the CA drought and they're saying it's only getting worse. How's the trail? Can anyone share some experience firsthand, especially those who have hiked in years past and can compare?

Droughts are nothing new in California. People seem to forget just how bad its been before: 1977 for instance. I'm not sure what it is you are looking for. California has passed its normal rainy season, so it can't get any worse then it already is this year. We may still get a few late season storms that can only improve things.

The snow levels in the mountains of Southern California are very low. I was backpacking a week ago over Baden-Powell (9400ft) which is near Wrightwood and it was almost clear of all snow about a month earlier then normal. Some seasonal water sources are drying up earlier then normal, but the more reliable ones still look to be flowing. The Sierra Nevada snow levels are below normal, but not at a record low anymore. I think the average is similar what it was in 2007. That year, Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite was clear of snow by memorial weekend with the store opened for business though the campground was still closed. I have a couple of Sierra trips planned for May this year that I normally would have to wait til at least June.

Some hikers started back in March and haven't hit anything to stop them yet. The High Sierra should be passible in May this year. The issue is, will it be passible to those who are on pace to arrive in late April. That should be interesting. Meanwhile, the actual number of potential thru-hikers seems to be at a record high this year. Given that it will be an easier year to hike due to the lower snow levels, it may be a record year for completions as well.

Thanks for the reply. I'm from the east so I'm not as comfortable with deserts. NPR made it sound pretty dire.

I'm planning a SOBO so I don't know what to expect. Maybe I can start earlier and not worry about snow in WA? Who knows what the water situation will be by the time I reach CA.

You aren't going to be able to start early in Washington as they got their snow. You'll be fine for water in most of California since the PCT stays in the high country for most of it. The only question will be southern California. The water you'll find in the fall is more determined by mountain/desert thunderstorms of late summer then the winter rain. But the trail in SoCal is pretty easy to hike, especially for someone with 2000 miles under their feet, so you can easily do big mileage if necessary to go between water sources. Getting to SoCal to early would be counter productive as you'll have hotter temperatures to deal with meaning you'll need even more water.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by fsacb3 View Post
    NPR made it sound pretty dire.
    But that's so unlike them!
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

On a more serious note, I don't see what good a discussion now will do for a SOBO thru-hike, since, as Miner mentioned, the place you're most likely to be affected by the drought is in Southern California, the end of your hike six months from now. Have updated versions of Halfmile's water report on hand (and contribute to it yourself), and you will be as well and currently informed as you can possibly be, when the time comes. http://pctwater.com/
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Miner, interesting that you say Baden Powell had very little snow in mid April.

Thanks everybody. I won't worry about it yet. I hope everyone out there now is staying hydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by fsacb3 View Post
    Just heard a report on the CA drought and they're saying it's only getting worse. How's the trail? Can anyone share some experience firsthand, especially those who have hiked in years past and can compare?
    I was just in the San Jacintos. Very dry up there. Much less water this year, and I was up there almost a month later last year.

++ New Posts ++