WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default breakfast done right

thinking of doing a plastic case for a doz eggs, eggs and bacon with toasted bagels would be very home style the 1st morning out of town. eggs 1.5 lb , bacon 12 0z,
    better than oatmeal.
    egg case 4 0z.
    hard boiled eggs with hot sauce and mustard for supper.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I haven't tried to carry fresh eggs in years. But I've been known to do real coffee (brewed with a pour-over Melitta into a Nalgene with a Reflectix jacket), muffins (steam baked) and an orange or even a grapefruit. The orange is the only thing that adds pack weight, and I just carry less water until I've eaten it, because I can always eat it if I run short of water.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Breakfast done right?

Dare I say, do it the French way?

I can be an instigator at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    thinking of doing a plastic case for a doz eggs, eggs and bacon with toasted bagels would be very home style the 1st morning out of town. eggs 1.5 lb , bacon 12 0z,
    better than oatmeal.
    egg case 4 0z.
    Careful now. Going into the woods with fresh eggs at hand could lead to trouble. You'll perhaps possibly pelt perverts perfunctorily.

Images

No reason to have a special egg case. Just the foam egg container from the store is fine if you're careful with it. Put it in a big ziploc and wrap it in your fleece in the top of your pack.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've done the pre-scrambled eggs in the carton thing. You can burn the carton when your done.

Bacon makes too much grease which has to be disposed of. Consider Canadian bacon or ham instead.

When I was a caretaker at Crag Camp in the White Mountains, I'd make people carry out thier bacon grease. Didn't want people dumping the grease outside which might attract critters. I found a whole closet full of glass jelly jars, clean with lids, at the cabin when I moved in in the spring. I don't know who or why they collected all those jars, but they really needed to be carried out. Then I hit on the idea of giving a jar to people cooking bacon in the morning so they could carry out thier grease.

So, when I saw someone cooking bacon in the morning, I'd ask if they had something to carry out the grease in and explain why they needed to do so. Of course they would say they hadn't thought about that. I'd reach into the closet and hand them a jar. They would then thank me and carry the jar and grease home. I got rid of every jar that way over the summer, at least 50 of them!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Love bacon. And given a choice I will not be without bacon. Tossing bacon grease is a sin

A few eggs scrambled in said grease and, voila!, no disposal issues AND much better tasting eggs.

Journal Entries

Carried eggs on the AT at times, protected in the carton 'segments' (ripped apart into individual protectors) and stored inside the jetboil pot for protection. IIRC I could get 5 out of 6 inside it, one would be left behind to presumably hatch into a new chicken and resupply the eggs I took.

Bring a tater, slice it and cook that in the extra grease. Delicious.

OR get the pre cooked bacon - eliminates 95% of the grease issue (still has a little if you want it for the eggs) - and cuts the carrying weight as well.

Journal Entries
    Images

Add hard boiled eggs. - no case
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    Love bacon. And given a choice I will not be without bacon. Tossing bacon grease is a sin
    I'm cooking Benton's bacon right now. That smoky aroma is amazing. I'd love to take some on the trail but even precooked might be too odorous. I keep picturing my pack smelling like Benton's bacon and all the critters lined up to get a taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ITri View Post
    I'm cooking Benton's bacon right now. That smoky aroma is amazing. I'd love to take some on the trail but even precooked might be too odorous. I keep picturing my pack smelling like Benton's bacon and all the other hikers lined up to get a taste.
    I fixed it for you.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Assuming you're trying to scramble the eggs, you'd be better off to crack them ahead of time and carry them in a disposable water bottle.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Assuming you're trying to scramble the eggs, you'd be better off to crack them ahead of time and carry them in a disposable water bottle.
    i have done this and then steamed them in a bottle, or placed them by a fire in a bottle andcook them that way. mix with jerky and tabasco packets.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    better than oatmeal.
    egg case 4 0z.
    You can find eggs that already come in a plastic case in your grocery store, I have done the Zip-lock omelette out on the trail a few times and the plastic case that the eggs comes in works great, i haven't broken any yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    I fixed it for you.
    Ha ha! Gotta watch out for the human critters too.

Quote Originally Posted by ITri View Post
    Ha ha! Gotta watch out for the human critters too.
    So very true, lol

Anybody else tried these? They taste just like what you'd get at a diner and one container makes an enormous amount. http://www.zestuous.com/wp-content/u...ungry-Jack.jpg

Images

When I go to the store later today, I am getting some of those. Diner Hash Browns are their own kind of delicious. (#ThisIsWhyImFat)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++