Default section hiking at the end of july - advise

Hi there,

I am planning on beginning to section hike the AT this summer. I was wondering if any of you have advice for a good place to hike mid to late July. I live in Georgia, and am considering starting at Springer Mountain. But, I'd really like to be on a part of the trail that will be somewhat popular. I'm guessing there won't be many people on the Georgia trail at that time. Any tips for good places to start around July 18th? Many thanks!!

Section Hiker

Hi, Krysia. You might post this in the General forum instead of the women's forum, I think you'd get more replies. I think there are usually people on the trail in GA. I think my only concern with July might be water supply, but then I have heard people say they had a fine hike in August in GA too. Living down there you are probably all to familiar with he heat and the humidity, maybe that gives you an edge for hiking there then. I'll be down there in June pecking away at GA.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries

We'll be doing another Georgia section in the fall, probably late August. I hate hiking in the heat, but we've gotta go when we get the chance.
    If I hadn't already done the Smokies, I'd do them in July just because the elevation keeps it cooler. If you're wanting to see other hikers, there are always people in the Smokies.

Thank you both! That gives me some good perspective.

Maryland to mid Pennsylvania is mostly easy and less roller coaster-ish. But we get very humid here.
    The other choice would be tough, rugged Maine.
    At Katahdin, Early NoBo's will be coming north and most SoBo's would be in New Hampshire in Mid July.

++ New Posts ++