WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Horse-Shoe Trail, PA

Anyone have experience with the Horse-Shoe Trail in PA? Opinions? Comments? Nicest section for an overnight trip?

Thanks!

I hiked much this trail many years ago (like back in the 70's)
    Now, when I drive by parts of it that I remember, there are always more and more houses along it.

I would say your best bet for a hike would be at the western end where it starts at a junction of the AT near Clarks Valley.
    There is also a good piece, maybe 10 miles east of there near the Gold Mine road (i think that's the name)
    But once you get much east of there, it is not very wild anymore.

Maybe it's changed, but probably not for the better.
    Hopefully someone who's been on it lately can give you more advice.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I discovered that it is about a half mile from my house. I started trail running sections around Hershey but at least in this area it is a mix of farmland and road walks. Not exactly my idea of a wilderness adventure but its a short commute.

I also hiked it a long time ago - maybe 1994 or so. As Fiddlehead said, the most remote section is nearest the AT. A lot of the trail is very suburban now. Some of the state parks had decent short dayhikes, but the rest was pretty developed. There was also a lot of damage from the horses, not surprisingly.

I have not done much, but I would agree with others that the end near Clarks Valley would be a nice section. I was thinking you could start on the AT in Swatara Gap and head south. You could tent the first night on top of Stony Mtn. (think that is the name) almost right at the trail junction with the HST. From there, you can head east.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb I've been section hiking it over the last few years

And ditto what everyone else has been saying. It's definitely not even a back-country trail, let alone a wilderness trail -- it's barely a nature trail in many spots. For about one mile, you actually worry about being hit by cars as you walk along a busy road with no shoulder. I'll take bears and snakes any day!

I've found the HST interesting only to the extent of following it, in the sense that you learn basic skills for trail walking, which can be useful when you start walking on a back-country trail.

But, in general, I've found that (for me, anyway) any time on any trail is better than doing anything else.

Thank you all for the info. Since I am just looking to do an overnight, I may consider the section closest to where the HST intersects the AT as redseal suggested. The rest of it sounds way too 'developed'. Thanks again!

Thank you all for the info. Since I am just looking to do an overnight, I may consider the section closest to where the HST intersects the AT as fiddlehead and redseal suggested. The rest of it sounds way too 'developed'. Thanks again!

++ New Posts ++