WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Leave on the 30th, hiking to Waynesboro.

Four of us going, would like to leave truck in Waynesboro, and get shuttle to a trail head. Driving up 4/30, start hiking 5/1 going for five days, day five will hike out, suggestions on shuttle, where to park truck, and trail head to start? Would like to average eight miles a day and tent camp each night.

I just got back from a trip through SNP. I will be posting updates each day. For now, the Day 1 trip report is posted here: http://www.backpackingengineer.com/blog.php/95

If you are parking in Waynesboro I had success for a week leaving the vehicle at the parking lot near the southern entrance to the park.

Thank you, I should of specified wanting to hike north bound to Waynesboro.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MoreTime View Post
    Thank you, I should of specified wanting to hike north bound to Waynesboro.
    Not knowing you & your hiking buddies fitness,, one can only guesstimate on a trailhead 5 days out based on 8 miles/ day.
    The one thing about going northbound to Waynesboro is the hiking is much tougher than coming through SNP heading southbound.

With that being said, the best hiking IMO is that 40 miles north of Rockfish Gap for outstanding scenery. Spy Rock over the Priest , across Cripple Creek to Tye River and up the steep Three Ridges is quite the hike. Get shuttled to VA 690 , fish hatchery road to begin your journey up the fire road to the AT.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Hands down the best hiking is that 40 miles SOUTH of Rockfish Gap for scenery. Shuttle information can be attained from the Rockfish Gap Visitor that sits on the hill below The Inn at Afton.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I don't live to far from Waynesboro(Rockfish Gap)Entrance Station and could drive you north so you can hike south. PM me and we'll work out the details

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

I'm hiking 55 miles nobo, starting 5/03 where th AT crosses US60 near Buena Vista, finishing in Waynesboro. I used Dubose Egleston for shuttle, #540-487-6388. Maybe I'll see y'all out there.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

++ New Posts ++