WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Springer to Erwin (first timer)

I have never done an overnight trip backpacking before, but I am looking forward to this. I am starting hike around June 16th, I know it is not ideal time for a 4 to 5 week hike, but I am a teacher and that is my time off. Also, I live in Florida, so easiest and cheapest place for me to get to is Springer.

The only bag I have is 20 degree one which I assume will be way too much. Can I get by with only a fleece liner? I plan on stopping in Hot Springs for a night or two, but otherwise will be moving so long as weather/rain allows me to. It looks like I should be fine with 5 days of food with all the re-stocks along the way.

On arriving in Erwin, is it easier for me to try and get to Johnson City or Asheville. Looks like I can catch a bus home from either place. Seems Asheville may be a funnier place to hang around for a day or two. Will price of a ride to either be much different?

Also, I have never used a water filter before and am hoping I can get by with only tablets. Will this be an issue?

Thanks all!

Images

Mid June is fine. It'll be cooler in the mountains than in Florida, certainly. The 20F bag is likely way too much, but my one experience with a fleece blanket in the summer in the mountains is not one I'd care to repeat I'd try to find a 40-50F rated summer sleeping bag on sale somewhere. Something like the Kelty Cosmic is a nice choice, but there are plenty of $50-100 bags that will work.

You can get to either Asheville or JC from Erwin, Asheville is certainly a fun place to hang out. If you're into craft beer, do not miss Wicked Weed (you will thank me later.)

I use tablets only. If the water has lots of floaties I filter it through a bandana, then drop in the tablet.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Last year I did the same section. When done I got a shuttle from uncle Johnny's to Johnson city. I picked up a one way rental car and drove home.

I can't help with the trip home but I just did my first section (Springer to Gatlinburg). I carried 4 days food but wouldn't again. I ended up stopping more often and could have just carried 2-3 days food. I carried a 20 degree bag and froze my ass off a couple of nights in Mid April. I used a Sawyer squeeze AND aqua mira to be careful. Water was plentiful.

I would think a 20 degree bag would be a little too warm & a fleece liner would be insufficient. When my bag is warmer than I need, I simply open it up completely & drape it over me as a quilt as needed.

You might try AquaMira liquid for your water purification. Great stuff. Mix 7 drops of Solution A & 7 drops of Solution B in a small cap. Wait 5 min; pour into your liter bottle; wait 15 - 30 min; drink. Just be sure you put the lids on the solution really tight when you store them.

I was just passing through. Can't help you w/ the return trip home.

Have fun on your hike.

I would keep the 20 degree bag through the Smokys, any month of summer. I spent a night in July at LeConte Lodge and nearly froze under the heavy Hudson Bay blankets they provide. Take a 50 degree night with fog and wind, you'll appreciate the 20 bag.

Images

I use a patrol bag in summer it is about right but you probably would want a thermal layer on if it gets in 40's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Military-...item20e463d8f5

A 20 degree bag will be warm but work just fine. Open it up like a quilt and do lots of venting. Cover only parts of your body that need it. That's the cheapest way.

Tablets work. Aqua Mira or bleach tend to be the most efficient because of the packaging. I think the wait time on tablets is longer too.

What do you teach?
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Thanks, everyone. I am very excitedfor this trip to start! I am a middle school civics teacher.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd bring the 20-degree bag instead of the fleece liner, assuming you can't find a 35-40 degree bag or quilt that weighs less than a few pounds (ideally only a pound). Another alternative would be to bring extra clothes for sleeping.

Lots of people use chemicals (Aqua Mira, iodine, bleach, PolarPure, tablets) instead of heavy filters that are subject to cross-contamination. Just don't forget to bring a small bottle or flexible cup to dip into low-level water sources or drips.

Asheville is a great place to end a hike, especially at one of the prevalent brewpubs! Another option might be to strive for Johnson City/Erwin, and then get a two-part shuttle through Asheville. Just realize that lodging can be hard to come by in the summer.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Section Hiker

I'm doing part of that section (GA/NC) in June. I'm bring a 35 degree down blanket, it's Thermarest Alpine, which I got on clearance at REI. They are out of it, but this looks pretty reasonable:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/therm...A#.U3Eesz8eBCc

(Thanks for the post about interesting sights, btw, I was wondering too!)

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    I picked up a one way rental car and drove home.
    Who do you use for 1 way rentals? Ive only rented 4 cars in my life (2 from Hertz in puerto rico and 2 from Enterprise here in GA)..... Neither of those allowed 1 way rentals. But I didnt really look hard elsewhere. Who do you use?

(I have been trying to hike more and more with my Husky, but have never been able to do anything significant cause I didnt know how to get home without hiking back.... But knowing of a 1 way rental car company would allow me and my dog to go further)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Who do you use for 1 way rentals? Ive only rented 4 cars in my life (2 from Hertz in puerto rico and 2 from Enterprise here in GA)..... Neither of those allowed 1 way rentals. But I didnt really look hard elsewhere. Who do you use?

(I have been trying to hike more and more with my Husky, but have never been able to do anything significant cause I didnt know how to get home without hiking back.... But knowing of a 1 way rental car company would allow me and my dog to go further)
    I rented a car one way in Hartford airport and drove it to Atlanta airport cheap. I brought an old sheet that I used to cover the back seat to protect it from my dogs constant shedding. I threw the sheet away when I turned the car in. A hiking friend from Whiteblaze gave us a ride to the trail.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

oh, thanks. do you remember if it was one of the popular car comapnies (hertz, rent a car, enterprise etc?). Its probably a way out before I even do a long hike where I would need it, but its good to know ahead of time.

Rickey , I used enterprise

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Thanks. I appreciate it. That would make looking for a long hike, less stressful not needing to rely on anybody picking me up.

How did you avoid the $250 drop charge for driving one way? Enterprise tells me they always charge this on one way contracts.

A friend of mine work in a enterprise up north. He set it up. Maybe he was able to waive it. Cause I paid somewhere around 50

J Garron, We may see you on the trail.

I'm a middle school teacher too. We plan to start a little earlier n June doing a similar route, but only up to Gatlinburg. We plan to go real slow, so you may catch us.

I am a high school science teacher in NE Florida. I find there are usually a few of us teachers out there. I was in a shelter in NC a few years back and there were three teachers and a couple of kids there. Had a great evening of tutoring and teaching over supper.
    I carry a 45 degree bag and it suits me fine. Aqua Mira is good but the wait means that the liter of nice cold spring water you filled a half hour ago is now at ambient, which can be a bit of a downer. Thinking about a steripen. I will be in Virginia, so doubt we will will bump into each other. Will send some karma south.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++