WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Tarptent Double Rainbow. It's light enough to use solo but when I use it with a hiking partner (which I usually do) it ends up being around 20oz* per person for a fully enclosed shelter.

*Edit: Does anyone know if this year's double rainbow is heavier than previous ones? The site says that it is 41oz, but when I bought mine a couple years back I thought it was closer to two pounds.
    I just bought a double rainbow from Henry Shires, haven't weighed it yet but it is supposed to be be 39 ozs , as I ordered it with a carbon pole ( - 2 oz)....nice to get under the 40 oz mark!

Images

MLD cricket sometimes zpacks 8.5x10 cuben tarp others.

Images

I posted toward the beginning of this thread that I was using a Wild Oasis or The One. I was considering a ZPack Hexamid Solo, but had not had the opportunity to see one in person. A very kind member here offered to send me their's to check out last summer. I liked it, but decided to go with the Solo Plus. Two and a half more ounces, but quite a bit more room. Since I'm a fairly restless side sleeper, I thought the extra room would make it more likely I would remain under the tarp throughout the night. Joe was very accommodating to make sure I received it prior to my JMT hike last Aug/Sept. We had two nights of rain while on the trip, other than that - great weather. I really liked the Solo Plus, entry/exit wasn't nearly as difficult as some folks complain. I didn't "Need" the beak but with it, and by lowering the pitch a bit, I have every confidence that you could withstand most any storm.

While I would not necessarily recommend an UL shelter like this for a completely new hiker, someone with a reasonable amount of experience, who knows how to care for their equipment and is able to adapt when necessary should find the Hexamid Solo more than adequate for three season use. I do plan to invest in a net inner tent for use when bugs are thick, but since I do most of my hiking in the early spring and fall, bugs usually aren't a big problem. Again, part of having some experience to know when you will probably need netting and when you won't. If you are not confident in making these kinds of decisions, get the "tent" version for just a small weight/bulk penalty.

I'm currently shelterless!

Aside from the the 3lb home depot tarp in my truck.

But I'm in the research phase of DIY hammock setup. So many options...

I have a HQ issue one pole tent and replaced the pole with one of my black diamond z-poles. I am getting a outdoor research bug bivy and some kind of light hiking tarp. Any suggestions for what tarp? has to be at least 6 feet wide and 10 feet long. Under 50 dollars If possible.

I'm loving my homemade 2.5 ounce cuben fiber tarp

WOW! Seems like a lot of TarpTent users out there.
    I've owned a TT Contrail, TT Moment single wall. Sold both after a lot of use.

And now, as posted earlier, a TT Moment DW W/ripstop inner, modified for winter use with a shortened (by 5 3/8") X-ing pole running inside the fly for more stability and resistance to snow load.

Default SMD Skyscape X

I agree that the Skyscape X is about the lightest solo floored tent around. And with the Cuben "porch" it is complete with a place to cook in the rain.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++