WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default What ultra lite tent/shelter are you using

or wish you could use?

Just spent my 34th night in my Hexamid Twin and I love it. Still in perfect condition as well.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My lightest go-to shelter is the zPacks Hexamid TwinTarp (without mesh when used for my Fall section hikes).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Garlic
    Images

I don't know if the Tarptent Contrail qualifies as UL anymore at 27 oz, but I just replaced the one I've been using heavily for seven years and many thousands of trail miles. I was tempted by newer models with different features, but I was really glad to see Henry still makes the tried and true Contrail.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Tarptent Rainbow, 2007 vintage, not sure if that qualifies at 32 oz or so. (I call that light.) I can't report on its performance in hurricane conditions. Single-walled, so condensation can be a problem. Setup/takedown is a snap -- I use the stakes. In fair weather, it's awesome. Incredibly roomy for a solo tent.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Tarptent Double Rainbow. It's light enough to use solo but when I use it with a hiking partner (which I usually do) it ends up being around 20oz* per person for a fully enclosed shelter.

*Edit: Does anyone know if this year's double rainbow is heavier than previous ones? The site says that it is 41oz, but when I bought mine a couple years back I thought it was closer to two pounds.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 04-29-2014 at 23:32.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Bought a Zpacks Hexamid Solo without the netting or beak back at the end of the year. I don't have enough experience with it in weather to say if I'm sticking with it yet. Before I was using a 2008 MLD Grace Solo CF Tarp which I was very happy with. I only swapped to the Zpacks shelter since I could save an ounce and to try something new after 6 years.

With it I'm also carrying a Borah CF bivy sack since I mostly cowboy camp.

Images

Big Agnes Seedhouse UL1. Great little tent!SWVA 007.jpg

I got a seedhouse 1 for $100 at the last rei garage sale, In the backyard it seems big enough for 1 person and well arranged gear.
    biggest problem I'm not a well arranged person.

LHG Solong6

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    LHG Solong6
    I have a cuben version of this.

I've used a Z-pack twin hexamid 50+ nights. Net floor. Rain and snow. Love a two person tent for the room. If I could replace it it would be with a Z-pack triplex tent. Easier entry, sew in cuben floor. Room for the Grandkids, for the three day excursions.

Tarptent Notch. Love it so far. Will probably sell it in the future in my quest for the ultimate lightweight shelter. Am looking at that new cuben fiber tarp from SMD. Can't even spell or pronounce the name! Deusomethingorother. That coupled with a Serenity net tent may be my next lightweight shelter.

I have an original Tarptent Cloudburst 2 and I just bought a Moment DW. As someone posted above, I am not sure if, at 2lbs each, they even qualify as "ultralite" anymore! If money was no object, I'd be interested in the SMD Skyscape X.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Journal Entries

Z-Pack Heximed solo with beak and bug net, with a solo plus bathtub (yes they work together, and give some extra floor space). Stood up to the entire AT thru, very high winds and snow also and still using it and it still looks fine. North of the Smokies I tented by preference so lots of nights in it. Total weight of it is 17 oz (tent,lines,stakes,bathtub,carry bag).

If I was buying now I'd go for the newer model z-pack tent which seems to be lighter and offers more room, but that was not around at the time I bought the heximed.

Tarptent Moment for me...140 nights and still counting.

Images

My lightest set up is a Hexamid solo tarp paired with a MLD lite soul Bivy. If rain or lots of bugs are in the forecast I go with the Borahgami tarp.

Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis. With a ZPacks cuben bathtub style groundsheet, six stakes and one pole (I don't use trekking poles), the whole setup weighs 20 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Tarptent Double Rainbow. It's light enough to use solo but when I use it with a hiking partner (which I usually do) it ends up being around 20oz* per person for a fully enclosed shelter.

*Edit: Does anyone know if this year's double rainbow is heavier than previous ones? The site says that it is 41oz, but when I bought mine a couple years back I thought it was closer to two pounds.
    I noticed that several TarpTents have increased in weight recently. I know the StratoSpire 1 went up. It and the Rainbow were both listed at 34 ounces last year. Now the StratoSpire 1
    is listed at 36 ounces. It gets worse: different weights for the same tent in different places at the TarpTent web pages. I guess a phone call is in order before ordering. I have been been seriously burned by catalog weights and real weights when the item arrived.
    http://www.tarptent.com/allproducts.html
    http://www.tarptent.com/pdf/TT2014.pdf
    http://www.tarptent.com/pdf/TT2014.pdf

OK, two pages say the StratoSpire 1 weighs 36 ounces now.

Looks like the Double Rainbow & StratoSpire 1 & 2 all went up. No worries. They still are some of, maybe the best, when you look at cost-weight-space-weather protection benefits.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

SMD Skyscape Trekker. Got if for Christmas. If it ever warms up, I will take it out for a spin.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++