WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Expected Pace in SW Virginia

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are planning a section hike in SW Virginia and are planning on doing a little under 100 miles in just over 5 days. The plan is to get on around Mt rogers HQ and then hike through to Pearisburg. We are younger (22 & 28), and she has more hiking experience and I have more distance running experience. We're both fit (I'm a personal trainer), but this is our first AT hike. Considering the terrain, do y'all think that 20 miles/day is a reasonable pace?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMonkey View Post
    Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are planning a section hike in SW Virginia and are planning on doing a little under 100 miles in just over 5 days. The plan is to get on around Mt rogers HQ and then hike through to Pearisburg. We are younger (22 & 28), and she has more hiking experience and I have more distance running experience. We're both fit (I'm a personal trainer), but this is our first AT hike. Considering the terrain, do y'all think that 20 miles/day is a reasonable pace?
    Not really. I mean, that's a pretty ambitious rate, even with the gift of youth and fitness. Not saying it can't be done but it would be against the odds. Given your inexperience with the AT, I'd suggest taking it easy at first -- the same advice generally offered to folks starting their thru-hikes in Georgia.

Ah, and welcome to Whiteblaze.

Images

How can anyone possibly answer that question?????? I covered much of that section at 40+ miles a day. Can you? There will be no way to know that until you learn what your hiking Achilles Heel might be. I suspect that if you are lightweight, properly motivated and in decent shape that you could easily do it. If you like to sleep in, sniff every flower and arrive at a shelter by three to make sure you have space then probably not. You have given nothing to indicate which end of the spectrum you are on.

Garlic
    Images

From my memory of only two hikes in that area in the last ten years, it's pretty nice trail and real easy cruising especially after the Mt Rogers summit. That was when I really started increasing my daily mileage routinely above twenty. If you are able to sustain a 20 mpd pace in other places, you should be able to do it there. I wouldn't expect to hike that pace if you haven't done it before, though.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

As Malto states, it is really difficult to answer that question. Relatively, the AT through that section is pretty easy; 20 mile days are certainly possible. You have youth going for you, but pack weight can trump youth if it's heavy enough. Keep your packs well below 30 pounds and I would think that you could do it.

As a 46-year old fit male experienced with backpacking and carrying 25 pounds I covered that section (SOBO) at a pace of 19 mpd, with a longest day of 22.5 (split across two section hikes). I had perfect weather in early June for both hikes.

Enjoy, and good luck.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

LuckyMonkey: you've just heard from two VERY long distance hikers and two dedicated section hikers. I didn't mean to be Debbie Downer but that's just me.

A lotta folks can do a 20 mile day, I can even do that from time to time. Two twenty mile days in a row? That's not quite as likely. Three or four or five in a row? It gets even less likely. Throw in some bad weather, muddy trail, gear issues, a little sprain or mis-step -- all sorts of things conspire against the ideal. Some of the risks can be mitigated with experience and conditioning.

We don't know how much experience you've had on AT-type terrain, with AT-type verticals, and a pack on your back.

Heed Kerosene's wise words about pack weight. Challenge yourselves and have some fun.

If you just hiked 500 miles from Springer, SW VA does seem pretty easy. But to start there, that's a different story. I would rate that section as "moderate". There are some easy parts thrown in for good measure, but it's not all sunshine and butteryflies. There's a lot of ups and downs with several ridges to climb up and over. There are several farms to cross which allow the trail to pass on the most difficult part of the hill to climb.

For a first time AT hike and coming from Florida, I'd say planning 20 MPD is leaning towards "not so reasonable". You can probably do it, but you'll work for it. The only way to find out is to try and then learn from the experiance. I'd bring lots of blister treatments and pain killers - just in case.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Whats the rush anyway ?

Images

Reasonable pace? No. I pulled a similar schedule through there during my sobo thru but that was after many months of that kind of mileage. Another sobo just ahead of me (who ultimately finished the trail in 3.5 months) had a friend join him for two days starting around Mt. Rogers - they were both very good distance runners. The friend wanted to see what he could do, so they both pulled a ~26 mile day followed by a ~20 mile day (in beautiful weather mind you). They were short days for other sobo, but his friend practically crawled off the trail...

Firstly, thanks for all the insight from everyone who answered! The pace is dictated by only having the week off from work. And in regards to what kind of hikers we will be, if we are going for 20 MPD, then we will simply focus on getting the 20 miles in. It sounds like we will just have to get a couple days on the trail in and see how we feel, worst case scenario being if we don't make it halfway by halfway through the week, we can turn around and head back to our start point and take the opportunity to focus on exploring around the trail a little more. Thanks again everyone!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd never do 20 mile days fresh out of the house. Backpacking and running etc are not the same thing, and you risk injury. If anything you will be really really sore, and that can detract from it all. To just do the hike to do a pace and not enjoy the trail, to me, is kind of sad.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The way to do 20 MPD is to start early in the day and finish late, walking at a modest 2 MPH pace. You'll probably go a little faster then 2 MPH, but when you factor in rest stops, that ends up being a fairly typically average hiking speed for the day. In the summer, it is best to try and do as many miles as possible in the morning before noon, then slow way down during the heat of the day.

However, you can't realistically hike exactly 20 miles and camp. Although there are some tent sites scattered along the trail in that section, you really want to schedule your stops at shelters where your most likely to find reliable water sources. Even if you don't stay in the shelter (many prefer their tent and sometimes the shelter will be full when you get there, which is quite possible if you show up late in the day) the picnic table, privy and water source makes it a desirable location for the night. So, shelter spacing is predominately what will determine your daily mileage.

If you find you can't maintain the high mileage pace, no need to turn around and go back. There are several road crossings at which you can get off at. Bland is about 1/2 way. If you almost make it all the way, the Woods hole Hostel is a day short of Pearisburg. If you were going to get shuttled back to your car from Pearisburg, they could probably pick you up at one of the other road crossings too.

If you don't already have a guide to the AT, get one so you can plan the trip in more detail and find all the bale out points. With only 5 days to work with, you can't leave too much to chance.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I'm always a little surprised by folks who are "fit" at one thing and think it simply a matter of transference to another. We get these posts regularly on WB. On the other hand, you are here asking if that's valid, so kudos to you!!!

I'm fit for my age, and recently had to do some digging in my yard. Right away wore a big blister into my palm with a shovel, even with gloves on. So, could my cardiovascular, muscle tone, etc. have continued? Sure. Could my hand? No way.

Unless you wear a pack while doing your personal fitness work, you are going to wear brand new places in brand new ways. Same for the girlfriend. Perhaps same for footwear. And it's not simply a matter of macho "toughing it out" in my opinion, ... unless, of course, y'all are NOT out there to enjoy the experience.

Since you asked, I do not think a 20mpd pace is reasonable, no. But lots of people do it, so no one can actually say for you. You could wind up doing 25mpd. The trick is, find and maintain a comfortable pace and finish wherever you finish the first time out. After that, you can answer your own question next time.

Have a great hike, no matter!

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

i pulled 20's thru from damascus thru the highlands of the couch. nicely graded section i think

Start where you want, walk as far as you get... no need to backtrack.

ATC website has a PDF with trail resources including nice folks who shuttle hikers, usually for a nominal fee. You have a map, and can project your rate, whatever it may turn out to be. By the end of day 3 (or thereabouts -- but mostly out of consideration for your shuttler) you choose and commit to a trailhead and time for pickup. Sounds complicated but it's actually kind of routine.

Or... you can always hitchhike.

Images

If you fail to plan... you plan to fail. To an extent. Enjoy every step that you take, and enjoy the beauty that surrounds you, it's not the destination, it's the journey...

On my Northbound thru-hike in 2013 I hiked this section in six days, ironically beginning on May 1. You can see my itinerary at trailjournals.com/donsbrother I was 61 then, a distance runner for over 30 years, and in pretty good shape, having been on the trail for almost six weeks when I hit this section. I think it's a very "agreeable" section. Have fun on your first AT experience.

I'm 65 and did 20+ miles/day in that area this past spring...in deep snow. You can't stop and empty your shoes every time an acorn or rock gets in them and make miles. If I hike at a leisure pace for 9 hours, stopping for a brief lunch and a morning and afternoon break of about 15 minutes, I will cover 20 miles without a lot of effort.

I find it sad that too many people on here impose their limitations on others. If you hike more miles a day than me then you can't possibly enjoy yourself. Normally ended by HYOH!

You know what is not enjoyable (to me)? Lounging around a shelter until 9 and hiking until 3. Hiking in the early morning hours is very enjoyable. When I'm looking to do a 20 mile day I just plan on getting in the first 10 by noon and then do whatever I want the rest of the day. This time of year 20 miles a day is easily accomplished without setting a blistering pace. In fact you should hike at about 75% of what you think you're capable of. If you hike for 50 minutes and stop for 10 you'll get 2+ MPH in. After 10 miles take a nice long lunch break.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

fred: The OP posed a straightforward question, asking for opinions. Opinions were given. They're all over the map. What a shocker. People relate to their own strengths or limitations... all equally valid. OP gets to decide. It's all good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++