WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Confused about AT books for sale

<<<Caveat: I already have the Appalachian Trail Guides for the sections I'm planning on hitting this year (Tenn/NC, Southern VA) and the corresponding Nat Geo Maps.>>>

I'm looking at "The 2014 Appalachian Trail 'Thru Hikers' Companion" (by the ATLDHA), "The 2014 AT Guide (Northbound or Southbound- by David Miller), and the "2014 Appalachian Trail Data Book (by Daniel Chazin)". I know the data book is mostly numbers, but what about the other two? Which one will give me more info on what's along the way? Reading the Amazon reviews isn't really telling me much except for "This book was great".

My preference is to NOT spend $60 and get all 3 just to find out I only needed 1 or 2.

Thoughts?

get The AT Guide by Miller

I like the one by David miller. It is a no bull straight forward guide that tells you distance from 2 points and elevation. Has town information when you hit a town and even has phone numbers for hiker friendly services in those towns.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Just out of curiousity, how is Miller's guide better than the ALDHA guide? (I'm familiar with the latter but not the former.)

it's smaller and lighter for one thing

The AT Guide by Miller was excellent on my recent section hike.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries
    Images

Okay- survey says: The AT Guide by Miller.

Both the Companion (I'm a life member of ALDHA so perhaps I'm biased toward the Companion) and the AT Guide are good and serve the same general purpose. Pick one -- you don't need both. If you do pick one of these there is no need for the data book as that info is included in both.
    Last edited by map man; 04-30-2014 at 22:00.

Use the Companion or Guide for planning. Take the Data Book hiking.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I'd also recommend Awol's AT Guide. I really liked the aspect of knowing the distance to the next three shelters.

Disclosure: I'm a map person. I've got tons of topo maps from everywhere I've backpacked. If you're section hiking the AT through southern VA, you really don't need to carry any topo maps. I got a topo map of the White Mtns in NH & was glad a did (confusing trails & trail names). Didn't need any for the rest of the way. Only got off trail a couple of times. Was able to double back & see my mistake.

Journal Entries

never found a need for more than Awols guide for hiking.

Its nice to have a bit more information about some things sometimes, but not necessary for hiking.

I carried topo maps for my last section hike mostly because I like maps and knowing the lay of the land beyond the trail corridor. The trail is so well blazed that it is hard, but not impossible, to get lost. I only actually needed my maps once when I sidetracked onto an old woods road and that was my fault. I was zoning out and only noted the lack of white blazes after some time. Used the map to verify my mistake prior to backtracking.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Section Hiker

FYI to the OP: AWOL = David Miller--same person, same book. I carry that one (The AT Guide) and the actual map for the section I'm hiking. Like another poster above, I like paper maps.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries
    Images

On the AT what I carry is the data book. Than go with word of mouth. On the Long Trail which I've done many times all I bring is a map from the GMC and actually carry a cell phone, although reception is sketchy up north and its really just for bail out help which is nice to have as one approaches 60.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Recommend the AT Thru-Hikers' Companion

I have my original 1977 Data Book and many others since then. Somewhere along the way, it might have been in 1999, I began carrying the "Companion" and that's the only resource I use to plan my adventures along the A.T. I'd use the "Companion" for the reasons below:

The Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers' Companion contains all of the the Data Book waypoints and then some. The "Companion" also has professionally created elevation profiles in 23 mile segments per page. The entire book can be downloaded into a smart phone as a PDF file. I rarely see a thru or section hiker carry the entire book in paper format. You only need the weight of the section you're currently hiking. A "Companion" purchase directly supports the ATC. It costs less too.
    Cindy

Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion

Appalachian Trail Guide to New Hampshire and Vermont
    "Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world."

Any input on using the PDF version on an iphone? I was hoping I could pick up the pocket maps (#5) for a trip next week but im not sure I will be able to get them via mail quick enough. Thanks

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Companion on iPhone

I use the "Companion" PDF on my iPhone. Save the battery life in airplane mode. Lock the orientation and hold the phone horizontally to easy read the elevation profiles without the screen flipping around. You can get the PDF free with your ALDHA membership ($10 a year), non member digital download $8.

Cindy
    ALDHA Companion link

Thanks Cindy

Journal Entries
    Images

Excellent insight, as usual. I'm a sucker for maps- I could sit and study them for hours on end. Something about totally knowing the lay of the land interests me, even if the trail is well blazed & pretty straightforward.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I find that the ALDHA companion is a little bit more useful for section hiking. It contains a bit more info about road crossings and towns and in my opinion is better for figuring out logistics when I'm out for a week or two. I actually sliced mine into sections of about 30 pages each so I only carry the part ofthe guide for the section I'm hiking.

I also bought a copy of AWOLS guide last year. Like others have said it's no nonsense and contains a lot of info that is geared toward long distance hikers, but I didnt like it as much for planning shorter trips.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++