WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default If you were to do it a second time what would you do differently?

I might have the great opportunity to do an AT through hike again in 2015. I have my own thoughts and feelings on things I would do differently but I would like some input from the community on what you would change if you had the opportunity to do it again. My question falls into the things you wished you had done (like never cowboy camping), slightly off trail spots that you missed, attitude changes etc.

So...what would you change on your second hike?

walk SOBO for sure

+1 on LW's suggestion. No regrets at all from my first hike but would SOBO on the second one. Just because I think Maine/NH might be more fun on a fresh set of legs. It was a bit of a grind there at the end (for me anyways).

Journal Entries

Do the PCT

or if I had to do the AT, I would really want to hit the AT stops I didn't get the first time and might blue and aqua blaze this 2nd time. So in short try to create a new experience out of it. Yes much would be the same, but I did bypass lots of trail town stop options, and went to many, I would just desire to reverse them. I don't know how that would work out practically.

I plan to re-hike the AT when I'm 70. I'm 67 now. I've hiked big sections of the AT since 2000 and it's different each time. A wise man told me to keep my miles at 10 per day until I get my trail legs. That was good advise. Another wise man said that it's just walking....don't over think it.

Either do a trail that's not so popular, or go in a different season.
    Or SOBO like Lone Wolf says.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Do a flip hike and cherry pick my sections for optimal seasons. Plus I suspect there would be less hikers out, too.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Do a flip hike and cherry pick my sections for optimal seasons. Plus I suspect there would be less hikers out, too.
    Cherry-picking for seasons (or a desired amount of trail traffic) is what section hikers do routinely. Thru hikers don't have that luxury.

Want an empty AT? Walk sobo from DWG in early August. Nobos are long gone, and you're way ahead of even the fastest sobos. The sobo "wave" is barely detectable that far south. You're talking maybe 150 hikers spread out over several hundred miles.

PCT for sure

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Cherry-picking for seasons (or a desired amount of trail traffic) is what section hikers do routinely. Thru hikers don't have that luxury.
    See the "Cool Breeze" plan for thru-hiking:
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...where-to-start

(Scroll down or do a CTRL-F and look for Cool Breeze)

That's more or less what I had in mind.

There is something about the continuous journey. No doubt about it. But having done the epic, multi-month, walking in a continuous line thing before, the romantic notions of it are more or less "been there, done that".
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

+1 on Mags' suggestion. The ATC has some suggested variations on the traditional NB route - my favorite is the "cool breeze" option. The heat and humidity of the mid-Atlantic states adds to their already challenging nature when done in the traditional time frame not to mention avoiding the herd.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I will be doing the AT again in 2016, then again and again and again.
    For this next thru hike, I expanded my menu to a greater number of things, I'll be sampling what each town stop has to offer more often, and I'll be lightening my pack weight but not so much that I would be labeled a gram weenie.

When I did my second thruhike, I wanted to make it different, but the timing meant I was going NOBO again. So I made a point of staying at different shelters, hostels, etc., leaving town in the afternoon instead of the a.m. so my timing on the trail would be different, etc.

If I were to do it again, I would probably go SOBO, just to see how different the trail is for sobo hikers. I know I wouldn't stay in shelters as much as I did on my first hike. I always enjoyed my camping nights a lot more, but somehow it is so easy to get sucked into the shelter to shelter mentality. Having hiked out west, where there are very few shelters, and none that are really usable, I've learned about hiking until just before dark, instead of being stuck with the shelters as endpoint to the day.

Depending on my mood on any particular day, I think I would:

1) Hike the PCT instead

2) Hike the AT SOBO

3) Hike NOBO but blue blaze whenever the mood struck me

4) Probably skip eastern PA entirely!
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Arrow

I would take some time in the months prior to learn more about the history of (and even more importantly, along) the trail.My hike would have better with a greater sence of place and curiosity.

If memory serves, if you go to the "Articles" section of this website, there is a thread already there dealing with precisely this subject.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jack is right. The thread is located here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?180
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Blue blaze as much as possible. I stayed true the first hike and blue blazed to many beautiful spots the second hike....well worth it!

Skip Pennsylvania.

Before I thrued the AT again I would preferably thru the PCT again but if I did thru the AT again as one continuous unbroken hike(I presently have no plans to thru the AT again though, there are far too many other great trails to hike here in the U.S. alone not to mention all the great routes that are available or I could come up with!) ) I would take a different route(blue blazes, BMT through GSMNP or some other GSMNP trail combination, different route through SNP, different route through the White Mts, Grafton Notch SP loop, etc) as often as seemed reasonable. I would do the IAT possibly starting at the Pinhoti Trail southern terminus in Alabama and finishing in Nova Scotia on Prince Edward Island. If I was to start at Springer Mt doing a conventional non IAT thru-hike I would probably start later NOBO and go faster averaging 25+ mpd but still finishing up in the fall at Mt K and then jump over to the northern terminus of the Long Trail and hike that south. I would say "thank you" more often to all who support the AT and hikers. I would stop to do trail work more often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++