WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Actually, having done both in hiking the entire trail, I can tell you that hiking up and down Katahdin is just as legitimate or traditional as hiking up the approach trail. Almost all NOBO thrus have to do it unless they choose to go over the Knife's Edge and hike down (I don't remember the name of the other campground). But getting a hitch out of there is a bit more challenging than KSC. Plus, it's a butt kicker on the way up and on the way back down so you'll get the authentic experience Either way, enjoy it! And you are wise to take it easy in the beginning. Trail legs take a while to develop and pushing it to hard in the beginning can cause injuries that can knock a hiker off the trail for the season. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I climb Mt K often as I live about 2.5 hours away. NOBOs make the climb fairly easily. But starting out there is another thing. It is quite the climb. The first time I climbed it with a pack weighing about 15 lbs. the descent was where I really felt it. I enjoyed the luxury of a cabin the next day and chilled out. HYOH but I recommend going as light as possible on Mt K. and take a zero the next day if you need it. Arden, PM me as you solidify your start date. I may be able to swing a day off, meet you in Bangor and climb it with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    I climb Mt K often as I live about 2.5 hours away. NOBOs make the climb fairly easily. But starting out there is another thing. It is quite the climb. The first time I climbed it with a pack weighing about 15 lbs. the descent was where I really felt it. I enjoyed the luxury of a cabin the next day and chilled out. HYOH but I recommend going as light as possible on Mt K. and take a zero the next day if you need it. Arden, PM me as you solidify your start date. I may be able to swing a day off, meet you in Bangor and climb it with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sounds great! At this point, I'm thinking mid June to early July, but I will be more confident of my start date once I know how much snow they get on Kat, and how bad a bug season I should expect. I have experience on the A.T. in Vermont in late May, and the flies were unbelievable. Forced me to cut short a 25 mile trek to just two days and 10 miles!
    Of course, if I want to completely avoid the flies, I should probably start early Sept, and hike south until it starts snowing or gets too cold. Then, resume my hike another time. Of course, that wouldn't be a thru-hike, but from what I have been reading about the bugs, it seems to get pretty bad. I use DEET, but I was told that it doesn't work very well for flies - it's mainly for the tics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++