WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Default Whats a good 3-7 day hike from Amnicola Falls or the starting point of the AT to do?

I live in Dalton, Georgia (60mi from the AT starting point and Amnicola falls). Me and my 6 month old husky have done 15 day hikes and even did a 3 day hike near Chattanooga twice.

We have been to Amnicola Falls only twice for short 4 mile hikes, as well. But I was wanting to do our first hike on the AT.

Can anyone tell me about the first 15-30 miles of the AT? I thought it would be nice for me and the Husky to hike for 2-4 days headed north, then reward ourselves at a nice campsite or hotel. and then return back home.

Are there any stores or a motel in the first 15-30miles of the trail? Or is that all pretty much just trails and wilderness? (I havent been able to look up all the available stops on the trail without purchasing a guidebook).

So can anyone tell me about the first 15-30miles of the AT and if there is anything in that vicinity?

I appreciate any help. I recently lost my job, so I thought it would be good to do a hike soon, before I end up working full time and have wont have the time to do a week long hike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

30 miles from Springer is Neels Gap, there is a store and hostel there. Not sure if dog friendly.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Thanks. I'll look into neels gap online. Would that be the first real stop on the AT with a store etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Thanks. I'll look into neels gap online. Would that be the first real stop on the AT with a store etc?

There is a convenience store 2 miles from Woody gap (mile 20 from Springer) it's a pretty easy hitch this time of the year (without a dog mind you) but very limited selection. But Neels Gap is ON the trail and only a day later.
    http://www.mountaincrossings.com/Default.asp

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

That sounds perfect. Thanks.

I had thought of just hiking for a few days til I was tired and head home..... But if I set a goal of Neels gap etc, then it'll help me stay motivated as I get closer, and not just give up and turn around. Thanks.

The first 30 miles of the AT are fairly challenging. I did springer to woody a few years ago with my 8mo old jrt..pack light

++ New Posts ++