WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Does Tmobile get service on the Trail

Has anyone brought a Tmobile phone on the trail this year? How is the service?
    Please let me know
    Thanks, Steve

Images

I have T-Mobile and after you get away from a major town or interstate you lose service. I have been in trail towns and everyone else it seems has service but me.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I had heard that Verizon works pretty good, but I am under contract with Tmobile.
    I am coming to Damascus for Trail Days, so I guess I will see if it works there.

Leave the phone at home and expierence the trail as it was meant.There's a beautiful world out there but it ain't on the screen of a phone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I have T-Mobile and after you get away from a major town or interstate you lose service. I have been in trail towns and everyone else it seems has service but me.
    +1. For a longer hike I'd get a Verizon service phone from Straight Talk.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I loathe Verizon but from personal experience and all that I've heard, their network has the best coverage.

Images

For sure there is NO tMobile service around the AT in northwestern CT. I found that out the hard way!

Jane

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DamascusBound View Post
    Has anyone brought a Tmobile phone on the trail this year? How is the service?
    Please let me know
    Thanks, Steve
    T-Mobile barely gets service in town. Almost none on the trial.

Verizon has a CDMA network and this network has the best coverage on the trail. Since I don't have Verizon, I got a pay as you go TracFone to take on the trail. I calculated that the extra cost of buying minutes for a TracFone is less than the extra cost of switching to Verizon. Plus I wind up taking a light weight disposable phone on the trail rather than my smart phone.

If you buy a TracFone, you have to be careful not to buy one that works on the GSM network. For some reason, that is what they prefer you buy and that is what is sold almost everywhere TracFones are sold. If you go on their website and try to order a phone, they will ask for the zip code where you'll be using it. You should pick a zip code in a place that gets almost no GSM coverage. You can use the AT&T map to make good guesses. If the zip code shows no AT&T coverage, that might be a zip code where they'll sell CDMA phones. (AT&T uses a GSM network)

Still, if you pick a zip code that gets even a faint GSM signal, that will be the type of phone they will try to sell you. Keep trying different zip codes until they show you phones that work on the CDMA network. They will have model numbers that end in "C". DO NOT buy a TracFone where the model number ends in "G".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DamascusBound View Post
    Ok, thanks for the feedback. I had heard that Verizon works pretty good, but I am under contract with Tmobile.
    I am coming to Damascus for Trail Days, so I guess I will see if it works there.
    Tmobile doesn't work there. You dang near have to be to Abingdon to get service
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Thru hiking with tmobile now, I'm off the trail for a week, but the service is pretty subpar. If you need to just make a call or text, you can usually find service near mountain tops or open gaps. Anything other than that you're out of luck unless you catch wifi in town, only place I've had 4g so far is Gatlinburg. But I've got to agree with others, besides the occasional call, ditch the phone for the most part, it makes the trail much more enjoyable.

I loathe Verizon customer service and policy also. But for coverage, great. I used to have T-Mobile and would have coverage just about were AT&T did, also sucks for Customer Service. You could get a Straight Talk no contract with Verizon service, for a $30.00 1000 min 1000 text some web plan. As long as you needed the phone. Just be sure the phone you buy has a V on the box or at least a CDMA listing that could also be Sprint but Sprint phones have an "S". The coverage map for the Verizon is also in Red. I have been with ST for about 3 years now and pay more than I need and have way too much plan but is Hundreds less than Verizon was and no customer service issues or them trying to screw you and every turn and life event.

I use AT&T and as with any plan, service is where it is and when it is, but usually not where you think it is. Bring the phone if it is your camera. Don't plan to call anyone every day or at a certain time, and enjoy the hike. I keep mine off or on airplane mode to save power and every couple of days I see if I have a signal. If I do, I might make a quick call home just to let family know all is well, then turn it off.

++ New Posts ++