WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Barred owls are called monkey owls in some areas.

Images

While hiking AT a huge grizzly bear suddenly charged at me , so I instinctively ran down the hill scared to death. Then I remember I should not/could not escape from a bear attack by running and better stand my ground but suddenly I realized there is no Grizzly bear on AT so I stopped and told the bear" Hey bear, we don't have Grizzly on AT". The bear stopped , then felt ashamed and turned back and told me:" Sorry, wrong trail".

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post

Nah mate they use door gunners when they get towed thru bad neighborhoods.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by waasj View Post
    Barred owls are called monkey owls in some areas.

Yea lets hope that doesn't catch on....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Default worst wildlife encounter....best explanation

AT thru-hikers from 2009 will remember this legendary story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxNOmJxQUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBAJDnesiE

As told by Prairie Dog, Angry Beaver, and recorded by Check Six. We actually heard it via word-of-mouth (Shenanigans) a few hundred miles up the trail from these guys....

THE DARKNESS!
    AT09
    LT11
    PCT12
    CDT15 hopeful

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

One rainy night, I hung my skivvies under my rainfly in hopes that they wouldn't be quite as wet in the morning. A porcupine came in under the fly and made off with them. It drove me off the trail the next day because going commando under wet hiking shorts was getting me horribly chafed on the you-know-what, and there would have been real trouble in a sensitive spot if I didn't get some sort of medication and some wicking material on it.

Journal from that trip
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 05-16-2014 at 21:35.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

had my first overnite hike with my dog lastnight. We did Amicalola to Black Gap Shelter. 3minutes after we left Black gap this morning, and headed back, we saw our first bear.

Luckily I was able to make a video of it. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Not bad for our very fist overnite hike together.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Worst experiences:

Snakes: Rattlesnakes along the trail on a cliffside in PA. There were four of them spaced out along a ledge at about shoulder height, basking in the morning sun. When my hiking partner Bloodstone and I walked into the cleared area, they woke up and warned us alarmingly. That was a bowel loosening (though not venting) experience.

Mice: My brand new Montbell Goretex jacket got a hole chewed through the inner mesh pocket to access the trail mix I had stupidly left in the pocket. Shelter mice here.

Mice: Shelter mice kept running across my face and forehead as I was trying to sleep in one shelter. That mouse was caught mid passage, crushed in hand and tossed out of the shelter.

Mice: One shelter was pretty well infested and the mouse dander (I assume) was making it damned near impossible to breathe, so I flipped around head outwards and breathed easily the rest of the night.

Deer Flies: In the NY/CT/MA area the deerflies got so bad that I lost count of how many I was killing on a daily basis. Probably around 100 or more per day.

Aside from the deer flies, nearly all of these are manageable issues brought about by human activity and preventable by modifications of my behaviors, or maintaining higher situational awareness.

For ticks I highly recommend getting Tick repellent clothing, getting your chosen clothing treated with tick repellent treatments, or spraying your clothing (after washing and drying and well before wearing) with a permethrin based tick repellent. This will solve most of your tick problems (though not all). I work in tick infested brush and rarely have to remove ticks from my clothing and haven't had one dug in in years.

Snakes are terrified of humans and we are too big to eat. They rarely strike unless surprised and cornered/threatened. If you can avoid this, you won't have an issue. Study snake behavior and learn about them to learn how to avoid them.

Poison Ivy is the next most common issue. It's not animal wildlife, but it's a more common problem than any animal. I found that hiker dirtiness is pretty good protection, as is heavy sweating. But whenever I really got into it, I washed pretty quickly afterwards using wet-wipes. Seemed to control things pretty well. There is pre-exposure ointment available that works pretty well also.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

My worst experience was also my best experience. While camping at Mt Rogers during the Perseids Meteor Shower we left the tent door tied back so we could watch the meteor shower while lying in our sleeping bag. A baby pony tried to get in the tent with us. Not once but all night long. Even a baby weighs a couple hundred pounds and I was afraid he would step on us or fall on us. He would stick his head in the door then raise up, almost tearing the top off the tent. This and his running around close to the tent at top speed in pitch black darkness made for a restless night.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    had my first overnite hike with my dog lastnight. We did Amicalola to Black Gap Shelter. 3minutes after we left Black gap this morning, and headed back, we saw our first bear.

Luckily I was able to make a video of it. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Not bad for our very fist overnite hike together.
    You're quite lucky. I have yet to see a bear on the trail while hiking with a dog. Bears are usually terrified of them.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

my dog looked at it and i think after a second he forgot he was looking at something..... the bear ran about 20feet away when he saw us. then just looked while i recorded it

i guess it helps that Huskies dont bark.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by leatherwheels View Post
    My father and I were hiking near 13 falls in NH several years ago. Something came charging at me through the brush and tall ferns, all I could see was a shot of black fur every couple steps it took. Finally a good size black lab jumped onto the trail in front of me. He was panting with his tail wagging a hundred miles a minute. At that point I proceeded to insert my heart back into my chest. The dog never jumped up on me and the owners turned the corner a few seconds later.
    Imagine if you were a bit jumpy with some bear spray and when they came around the corner you had to explain to them why you maced their dog. lol.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Journal Entries
    Images

Almost the same as Kerosene's 1997 Porcupine attack. Not very far from his adventure, Happened at Wilbur Clearing Shelter. "The attack of the porcupines. Sometimes it seemed like at least a half dozen t a time. Early 80's in the early fall months. gave out a few bloody noses. No on got an sleep. It was like wave after wave. Someone must have split some salt. Our weapon of choice was a shovel. Almost forced me to make a night time retreat viva money brook trail to Hopper, to Sperry Road. My friend Ranger Bob said it happened regular that year and was just mother natures way of keeping the part crew out. Road crossing nearby. Bob and I got real chuckle out of the matter.

Just yesterday while hiking down standing indian I slipped in bear sh** & ripped my new trail runners on a rock!! Dam bears dumping on trail .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You're quite lucky. I have yet to see a bear on the trail while hiking with a dog. Bears are usually terrified of them.
    Really? Our very first long distance hike we saw 8 while hiking with a dog. What kind of dog do you have? A bear hound? Now of course we were hiking SNP

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Almost the same as Kerosene's 1997 Porcupine attack. Not very far from his adventure, Happened at Wilbur Clearing Shelter. "The attack of the porcupines. Sometimes it seemed like at least a half dozen t a time. Early 80's in the early fall months. gave out a few bloody noses. No on got an sleep. It was like wave after wave. Someone must have split some salt. Our weapon of choice was a shovel. Almost forced me to make a night time retreat viva money brook trail to Hopper, to Sperry Road. My friend Ranger Bob said it happened regular that year and was just mother natures way of keeping the part crew out. Road crossing nearby. Bob and I got real chuckle out of the matter.
    Huhhh could you say that again. I did nt quite get it

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Really? Our very first long distance hike we saw 8 while hiking with a dog. What kind of dog do you have? A bear hound? Now of course we were hiking SNP
    I have not yet hiked SNP, however from what I've heard the bears there are incredibly habituated to people and pets. I'm sure you're aware that seeing 8 bears in one section isn't typical for the A.T.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I have not yet hiked SNP, however from what I've heard the bears there are incredibly habituated to people and pets. I'm sure you're aware that seeing 8 bears in one section isn't typical for the A.T.
    Some folks are better at spotting them than others. I was walking behind another hiker for a while in SNP and he kept saying "there's another one" while I missed them all. I did have one genuine, close-up bear encounter on entering the park, and that was my only bear encounter, ever, on the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

WILD VICIOUS FERAL billy and nanny goat vic Ed Garvey shelter. I barely escaped with my life.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Yes i am aware of that...that is why i stated where i was. we did have a pair of mature bears follow us up the mt for a 1/4 mile. really freaked my wife out until i had enough and chased em off

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++