WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Default Best AT Thru Hike books???

What does everyone think is a good first person account of hiking the AT?..I`m looking for something that reads along the lines of Ed Garveys or Eric Rybacks books, i.e. just a factual day by day account of their hikes..I`m not looking for anything too heavy on equipment,planning,advice..Also something that doesn`t get overly philosophical..Thanks

I have long been of the opinion that the finest thru-hiking memoir remains the first one, Earl Shaffer's "Walking With Spring." You can order it at better bookstores or from the ATC (www.atconf.org)

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

It sounds like you would enjoy "J.R.Tate" [email protected] book,

'Walkin on the Happy Side of Misery' You can buy it from Model T or the ATC. You might want to wear your hiking boots when you read it,Model T and his alter ego can get a little deep with a southern down home humor. I love his story tellin and real life character's of A.T. hikers. I have read it at least ten times, I know,get a life. ***** enjoy
    Last edited by attroll; 10-01-2005 at 19:30.

Why not go to trailjournals.com? It is THE site for factual, day by day accounts of hikes, plus it's free. Takes a little bit to find a good one but they are there.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

2006 Thru-hiker in planning dje97001's Avatar
    Images

I second Model-Ts book. (of course I haven't thru-hiked yet) but it was a great read.

Images

I also recommend Model T's book. I've read it twice now and expect I'll pick it up again. I had the pleasure of hiking an overnighter with him in Big South Fork in TN. He is as entertaining and gracious in person as well. He's in the process of writing a second book about the AT. He's calling it Lores, Legends, and Downright Lies. I'm looking forward to it.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I havent done any reading about the trail other than Brysons humor. However I have said before and will say again, after talking with him and reading his posts here, if Baltimore Jack would write a book about the trail and his experiences it would be on the top of my reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilredmg
    I also recommend Model T's book. I've read it twice now and expect I'll pick it up again. I had the pleasure of hiking an overnighter with him in Big South Fork in TN. He is as entertaining and gracious in person as well. He's in the process of writing a second book about the AT. He's calling it Lores, Legends, and Downright Lies. I'm looking forward to it.
    I also want to be in on the Model T fan club. I'm very happy he's writing another book

Default Free online book is the best!

The best description of what the trail is like (IMO), the challenges presented and how it can change you is online and is free! Written by George Steffanos about his '83 thruhike, it can be found at "Then the Hail Came".

Mine ain't out yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo!
    The best description of what the trail is like (IMO), the challenges presented and how it can change you is online and is free! Written by George Steffanos about his '83 thruhike, it can be found at "Then the Hail Came".

Yes, this is a good one too. This is the first book, trailjournal, anything, that I read about the AT and it hooked me in fast.

Of course, there is another really good trail journal out there called "All in one Roll." http://www.2000milehike.com/ It's just as entertaining and has some excellent photos as well. Wouldn't you agree Gonzo?
    Last edited by Lilred; 09-26-2005 at 08:37.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Mine ain't out yet.

Well, 'git er done' L. Wolf, we're waiting........

GAME 2000
    Images

Well, 'git er done' L. Wolf, we're waiting........
    My sentiments exactly...

Default other good books

Of course, there is another really good trail journal out there called "All in one Roll." http://www.2000milehike.com/ It's just as entertaining and has some excellent photos as well. Wouldn't you agree Gonzo?
    Come to think of it... you are right! Did not want to be labeled as a self promoter though. Thanks for the plug. I wish George would get his pictures available. I know he took a lot, but they are all slides and he is too busy and does not have a slide scanner to make the changeover to digital.

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

In addition to Model T's book, I also really enjoyed Rubin's "On the Beaten Path."

- Ivy

:banana Books

Of course all of the above,but also Hiking The Appalachian Trail Vol 1&2 James Hare,Walking the Dream-Wolfe,Onward To Katahdin-Creen,Blind Couage,Irwin-Appalachian Odyssey-Olden,A Journey of Discovery,Curran,Katahdin with love-Counielius,As Far as the eye can see-Brill,My Journey to Freedom and Ultralight Backpacking-Wellman,An Eye on the Horizon,Eye-that's probebly 1 tenth the books i own. I find reading about hikes that were differant from mine,i.e. faster,slower,in sections, flip flop, shelter rat,stealth camper, ect. i learn so much about my own, plus it's a way to escape babylon for a minute.Hope to have us and my library living on the trail soon-.

Images

I have to agree, Then the Hail Came is excelllent. Having never thru-hiked, it made me feel almost like i was there with him. Here's a link to the online book. http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

I also enjoyed A Journey North (I think) by Adrienne Hall. It was interesting, and she included a lot of information about the trail itself. it was also nice to read a woman's perspective on backpacking. Boys never mention how hard it is to pee in the woods, or how having long hair equals extra cruddiness after days hiking without a shower.
    At the end of the trail lies Maine, where all good backpackers go when they die.
    -George Steffanos
    ...but what if i decide to SOBO?

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Thanks for all the replies..I`ll look into some of those titles..I buy my books at a wholesale used book place and they have almost anything really cheap..I just read a book on the AT called "As far as the eye can see" by David Brill..Ugh..Just 185 pages of his observations on life,relationships and nature and a spattering of AT related stuff...I liked Garveys book because despite his self promoting and habit of going into town to eat every 2 pages it was a pretty complete day by day account and named off places he passed which allowed me to picture the hike in my mind better and thus hike it with him

Speaking of a woman's perspective, I published "Always Another Mountain" last spring.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm reading White Blaze Fever right now which is very good. I must admit, when I was thirteen and just starting to get the AT fever, I got Ed Garvey's orginal book and I must have read that thing fifty times. Still do... His suggestions for hiking equipment is ancient but fun!

I also like Blind Courage by Bill Irwin, about the blind hiker who thru hiked in the early 90's.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++